PDA

View Full Version : Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dutchman
03-15-2015, 05:40 AM
Our thread reached 1000 and automatically closed to new posts. This is a continuation of the very fine thread started by Wholin1 back on 10-16-2014. I cannot locate Wholin1 to restart with a new thread so kick started with the same name.

Dutchman
03-15-2015, 07:23 AM
Blocked 26 shots ...... taking a page out of Q's play book

Dutchman
03-15-2015, 07:25 AM
Highlights
ECAC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlk-r8vQFVs#t=224

Dutchman
03-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Defense

Dutchman
03-15-2015, 10:52 AM
We can do this ......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm5q-PAdBjg

sshablak
03-15-2015, 11:54 AM
GL Union tonight !!!

Dutchman
03-15-2015, 01:46 PM
Peca "We know how to beat this team.”
http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20150314/union-rallies-back-to-tie-series-with-quinnipiac

"Pontarelli’s winner came on a rush into the Bobcat zone, as he snuck behind a defenseman and waited unmarked before being found by Cruice".
I guess we won because we are sneaky ******** .... :)

“You want to end someone’s season, you’ve got to be better than that,” Pecknold said. “ ..... we were immature in how we dealt with our preparation in terms of trying to end someone’s season ....... we’ll be ready to go.”

rdf8585
03-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Union lines:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>2 changes for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UnionHockey?src=hash">#UnionHockey</a> for game 3: Roy in for Bennett up front, Light in for Henry on D. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ECACHockey?src=hash">#ECACHockey</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/QUHockey?src=hash">#QUHockey</a> <a href="http://t.co/LVicLvRONT">pic.twitter.com/LVicLvRONT</a></p>&mdash; Union Hockey Blog (@UnionHockeyBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/UnionHockeyBlog/status/577172843441598465">March 15, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No changes for Quinnipiac.

UFan
03-15-2015, 06:15 PM
First of all, congrats to QU. They scored when it mattered and held us off in the third !
The face-offs losses killed us in this game. When we got a face off in their zone, we lost the draw. Their guys (Peca especially) were great at it.
I wish we had played like this all season. Now we have to wait. I hope an ECAC team makes the frozen four.

Got 6, Want More
03-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Well, that went as far as it can go. Thought you would be our Friday opponent! Great run by you guys!! Three ECAC titles and an NCAA crown is really incredible! Congrats to your seniors and everyone that has turned "U" into such a great program! Congrats a great run!

sshablak
03-15-2015, 06:36 PM
Yes....amen to all, what a run !

QUAlum2004
03-15-2015, 06:37 PM
I just want to say this was a hell of a series that I knew would be tough. It's tough to KO the defending national champion. Union isn't going anywhere and will be a factor again next year.

Dutchman
03-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Thank you Seniors:

Charlie Vasaturo D
Mark Bennett F
Sam Coatta F
Daniel Ciampini F - tied school season scoring record.
Max Novak F - set season GWG record last year
Colin Stevens G - All American
Dillion Pieri G

For all you have done for the program - you have made us all very proud !!!!

AnthonySaxe
03-15-2015, 07:36 PM
First of all, congrats to QU. They scored when it mattered and held us off in the third !
The face-offs losses killed us in this game. When we got a face off in their zone, we lost the draw. Their guys (Peca especially) were great at it.
I wish we had played like this all season. Now we have to wait. I hope an ECAC team makes the frozen four.

Can we stop with this myth? Faceoffs can be important individually, but taken as a whole statistic, even over the course of one game, are largely meaningless.

We were much better at faceoffs this year than last, yet we were a much worse team. We controlled play for most of the 2nd and 3rd periods today, and out-chanced Q by a good bit. We outshot them 38 TO 25! We lost because we couldn't finish, not because we didn't have the puck enough (not that faceoffs really drive possession in any meaningful way anyway). Eli lost almost every faceoff he took, but what hurt us is that Eli can't do anything else when he loses a faceoff. It's what you do after a faceoff that matters, and unfortunately, he can't do anything. Roy was 4-for-7 on faceoffs, but so what? Is he helping our team by winning that extra faceoff? Novak was horrible in the dot today, but do you point to him or Roy as a hinderance to the success of this team?

I think we probably should have won this game, and if we had two centers that didn't render our bottom 6 almost useless, we might have. Oh well.

UFan
03-15-2015, 08:26 PM
Can we stop with this myth? Faceoffs can be important individually, but taken as a whole statistic, even over the course of one game, are largely meaningless.

We were much better at faceoffs this year than last, yet we were a much worse team. We controlled play for most of the 2nd and 3rd periods today, and out-chanced Q by a good bit. We outshot them 38 TO 25!
In my view, when you play dump and chase all game, and you loose the chase pretty much very time, getting an offensive side faceoff win is a plus. We got an handful, if that. Neutral zone faceoffs, not so important. Defensive zone faceoff wins are a plus on the kill. We won a few, but that's it. Good thing we didn't take that many penalties. And outshooting a team means nothing, it's also a meaningless stat. I'd rather have 5 shots on goal and 5 goals, than 38 on goal and one goal. Just like faceoffs, it's number that tells you nothing about the quality, I think we can agree on that.

We lost because we couldn't finish, not because we didn't have the puck enough (not that faceoffs really drive possession in any meaningful way anyway). Eli lost almost every faceoff he took, but what hurt us is that Eli can't do anything else when he loses a faceoff. It's what you do after a faceoff that matters, and unfortunately, he can't do anything. Roy was 4-for-7 on faceoffs, but so what? Is he helping our team by winning that extra faceoff? Novak was horrible in the dot today, but do you point to him or Roy as a hinderance to the success of this team?

I think we probably should have won this game, and if we had two centers that didn't render our bottom 6 almost useless, we might have. Oh well.
^this
Oh well, we'll be better next year :)

MarkEagleUSA
03-15-2015, 08:27 PM
Congrats Union! You played a hard fought and clean series. It was a battle for sure. You were admirable national champions and represented the ECAC well. There is nothing at all to be ashamed of.

AnthonySaxe
03-15-2015, 08:44 PM
In my view, when you play dump and chase all game, and you loose the chase pretty much very time, getting an offensive side faceoff win is a plus. We got an handful, if that. Neutral zone faceoffs, not so important. Defensive zone faceoff wins are a plus on the kill. We won a few, but that's it. Good thing we didn't take that many penalties. And outshooting a team means nothing, it's also a meaningless stat. I'd rather have 5 shots on goal and 5 goals, than 38 on goal and one goal. Just like faceoffs, it's number that tells you nothing about the quality, I think we can agree on that.

^this
Oh well, we'll be better next year :)

Yea, it's tough to be chasing the puck all the time when you can't get it back. In that regard, those guys losing draws hurt us. When your players aren't good enough to get the puck, faceoffs help, although we had players losing faceoffs AND not winning battles.

I'd have to disagree that outshooting a team is a meaningless stat. Check here and filter by SAT:http://www.nhl.com/stats/advancedteamstats
You'll see that the teams that attempt more shots than their opponents during the season are almost always more successful than those that don't. You really don't need advanced stats to tell you that though, it's common sense. This happens every season. The fact of the matter is that, on the whole, 38 shots is almost always better than 25 amongst players at an equal level.

Quantity certainly doesn't equal quality, but I thought we had both tonight, we just ran into a hot goalie and didn't get enough bounces.

bothman
03-15-2015, 09:16 PM
Union has been on such a great run these last few years. The loss today is tough, but you have to appreciate what this team has provided to the ECAC and the fan base.

The Glass is certainly half full!

UnionFan4Life
03-15-2015, 09:33 PM
I was on the edge of my seat all weekend, great hockey, but an unfortunate ending for U. I also hope the injury to Anas isn't serious.

The seniors have much to be proud of over their 4 years and are certainly going to be missed next year. The future is bright and I can't wait for next October. Until then, I look forward to discussing the offseason, predicting lines and captains, and also reading up on the incoming recruits.

BobNY
03-15-2015, 10:05 PM
Thanks Union for a great series. Great team and classy program. If it wouldn't have been at our expense I would have loved to see you turn things around and go all the way. If you did come out ahead this weekend I would have rooted for you the rest of the way. Congrats to your graduation seniors on all the have accomplished the past few years!