• Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2015 off-season thread

Condolences to the Muio family.
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
      Congratulations to the city of Sault Ste. Marie and Pullar Stadium for being a top 10 finalist in the Kraft Hockeyville contest.

https://www.krafthockeyville.com/
      Is Pullar Arena LSSU old hockey rink before Taffy Able?

Comment

It's the city rink they used before the Norris center was built. It was also where Mr Hockey and the rest of the Wings held training camp.
        BLEED BLUE

Comment

Spring signing period opened up on Wednesday. So far we have NLIs from Jake Hand and Nick Kossoff.

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
            It's the city rink they used before the Norris center was built. It was also where Mr Hockey and the rest of the Wings held training camp.
            The "Production Line" photo of Howe, Lindsey and Abel skating in line was taken at the Pullar

Comment

Max Humitz has also signed his NLI.

Comment

We just received a new verbal commit. Ashton Calder, local kid from the Soo who played AAA Midget hockey for the Soo Indians this season. 98 birth date. Forward.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=221327
                Last edited by Bill; 04-17-2015, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Soo Eagles Goaltender Chad Catt just committed to Red Berenson and the U of M Wolverines for 2015-16 season. I think the Lakers missed the boat on this kid. Playing jr hockey for Soo Eagles in the Lakers own back yard. This is the second Soo Eagles player in the Soo that the Lakers missed the boat on . Jared Vanwormer who playes at Ferris State in his 2nd year had more points than the Lakers leading scorer this year. I believe Metro was scouting then also, Maybe its time Metro hits the road.Letting good players go . Rich Metro needs more training on recruiting,Lakers need scoring now not later,quit recruting players for 2-3 years down the roadneed wins now, declining attendance, losing season,Bull ****ing fans about our team is taking another step forward, Decommitting to players after 1 or 2 years.If byou are going to decommitt to players than why bring them in. No wonder coaches and player advisors think lssu is a joke. FIRE METRO AND COACHING STAFF!!!!!!!!!

Comment

What do you think about lssu going division 3. They should be able to compete,they could keep recruting from day care centers(young players) they would get an actual
                    attendance of 750-1000 people per game, and lake superior would not loose as much money, therefore every one would be happy, and you could get by with the Lakers current coaching staff
                    i

Comment

Originally posted by newt-ski View Post
                      What do you think about lssu going division 3. They should be able to compete,they could keep recruting from day care centers(young players) they would get an actual
                      attendance of 750-1000 people per game, and lake superior would not loose as much money, therefore every one would be happy, and you could get by with the Lakers current coaching staff
                      i
                      Gotta take the whole athletic department down to D-3 to do that. And a very large chunk of the team goes out the door as well, without the 18 scholarships that LSSU has to work with now.

EDIT: Staying D-2 and playing D-3 is a non-starter. There are teams out east that do that. They play a 25-game regular season and that's it. They are not eligible for the D-3 NCAA tournament. I don't think you want that option.

And just what league do you think LSSU is going to play in? The NCHA will be at 11 teams this coming year, making for 20 conference games already, with a 25-game NCAA D-3 limit, that may also shrink in the future.
                      Last edited by Hammer; 04-18-2015, 06:58 PM.
                      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

One more thing: if the Laker faithful will only draw 750-1500 to watch LSSU play Ferris, NMU and MTU, among others, you're definitely not going to like the attendance figures for the home games against MSOE, Finlandia and Lake Forest. Who are they? Exactly....
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by newt-ski View Post
                          Soo Eagles Goaltender Chad Catt just committed to Red Berenson and the U of M Wolverines for 2015-16 season. I think the Lakers missed the boat on this kid. Playing jr hockey for Soo Eagles in the Lakers own back yard. This is the second Soo Eagles player in the Soo that the Lakers missed the boat on . Jared Vanwormer who playes at Ferris State in his 2nd year had more points than the Lakers leading scorer this year. I believe Metro was scouting then also, Maybe its time Metro hits the road.Letting good players go . Rich Metro needs more training on recruiting,Lakers need scoring now not later,quit recruting players for 2-3 years down the roadneed wins now, declining attendance, losing season,Bull ****ing fans about our team is taking another step forward, Decommitting to players after 1 or 2 years.If byou are going to decommitt to players than why bring them in. No wonder coaches and player advisors think lssu is a joke. FIRE METRO AND COACHING STAFF!!!!!!!!!
                          Catt was traded from Aberdeen to the Soo Eagles in February. At that point, the Lakers had already recruited Nick Kossoff as a goalie so they had no room (scholarship wise) for Catt. They may not have even seen Catt play when he was with Aberdeen since his stats while there weren't nearly as good as after he came to the Eagles. Rich Metro was coaching in France for the last two years of Jared Van Wormer's junior career so you can't blame him for missing out on Van Wormer. Why don't you ask Jim Roque why the Lakers didn't go after Van Wormer. Maybe you should check your facts more before you go off on a rant.

The current coaching staff is making more of an effort to recruit kids playing locally (or at least from the local area) than the previous one did. They added Aidan Wright this past season. They have also gotten commitments from Chase Gamelin (Soo High/ Soo Eagles), Owen Headrick (Soo Thunderbirds), and Ashton Calder (Soo Indians)

Comment

Bill, I am not questioning anything you say. Most, if not all, of what you post ends up being factual.
                            Could you tell us where you get your information. You have posted several times you live far away and rarely make it to SSM.
                            You seem to have such inside access but I believe you when you say you don't. If you have a site that most of us don't know about it would be great if you shared.
                            Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DM2SM View Post
                              Bill, I am not questioning anything you say. Most, if not all, of what you post ends up being factual.
                              Could you tell us where you get your information. You have posted several times you live far away and rarely make it to SSM.
                              You seem to have such inside access but I believe you when you say you don't. If you have a site that most of us don't know about it would be great if you shared.
                              Thanks.
                              The latest recruit info is usually available on Off The Boards Twitter account or on Hockey Commitments Twitter account. It is also available on Chris Heisenberg's college hockey recruit web site and the College Hockey Inc recruit web site, but these days the info is usually first available on the Twitter accounts I mentioned. I also follow most of the Junior A leagues that the Lakers recruit in via their web sites. I also read the Hockey News North web site.

I normally try to make it up to the Soo for a couple of home series each season; usually once fairly early (October or early November), and usually once after the holidays.
                              Last edited by Bill; 04-19-2015, 07:26 AM.

Comment

I am glad the lakers are recruiting two and three years down the line for players. A vision is not just the next season but where they want to be and what type of players they want to be bringing in two and three years from now.

Comment

Working...
                                X