Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2015 off-season thread

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    As both you and rustedblades point out, it's not just the league but how good you are in that league. Both WMU and BG, prior to their coaching changes to Blashill and Bergeron, had quite a few USHL players on their teams but it didn't provide them with much success in the W-L column. You need 1st and 2nd line USHL players and not just 3rd and 4th line players.
    I had some concerns about Max McHugh given that he wasn't getting regular top-6 time for Dubuque ... but they're Dubuque. My fears were unfounded — he really came on as the season progressed.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

As both you and rustedblades point out, it's not just the league but how good you are in that league. Both WMU and BG, prior to their coaching changes to Blashill and Bergeron, had quite a few USHL players on their teams but it didn't provide them with much success in the W-L column. You need 1st and 2nd line USHL players and not just 3rd and 4th line players.
      the other side of that is that BG has been getting quality players (Walker, Murphy, Cooper, Dufour, D'Andrea, Sullivan) from the OJHL and CCHL. A couple more promising Junior A guys coming in next season too.
      even if you start getting more guys from the USHL, Junior A still seems like good recruiting ground for LSSU.
      Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
        I don't know much about Laker hockey; I've been following this thread a bit since Coach Whitten took the head coaching job. I am a little surprised at how much heat he's taken by some of the posters here.
        A few people STILL haven't got over Jim Roque getting fired.

Edit: Less than 100 days to go until the season starts.
        Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 06-27-2015, 12:43 AM.
        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Another interesting stat as a result of the 2015 NHL Draft that supports my USHL theory. Of course, as mentioned several times since my post yesterday; you've got to get the upper end guys. This is the number of players drafted from each league.

OHL WHL QMJHL USHL BCHL NAHL
          31 34 30 31 1 5

I think the BCHL number may be a little misleading as I believe the BCHL has less draft eligible players than the USHL or NAHL.

Again, there is a whole lot more to look at then these very general numbers but the USHL is where the best young, potential NCAA talent is.

Comment

Sorry for the double post, the numbers didn't fall in the correct location

OHL - 31

WHL - 34

QMJHL - 30

USHL -31

BCHL - 1

NAHL -5

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
              Again, there is a whole lot more to look at then these very general numbers but the USHL is where the best young, potential NCAA talent is.
              sure, but that's not news to NCAA recruiters.
              don't get me wrong...every team needs to go there and it's only good that LSSU is starting to go after USHL guys again.
              the catch is that last year USHL teams averaged around 21 college commitments. tough competition, even for the 3rd and 4th liners. like Bill said, pulling in depth USHL guys doesn't always mean winning.
              Globke came out of Carleton Place, right? that's a team that turns out talent every year (10 DI commitments from the 2014-15 team), and the BC's and UND's of the world don't even bother to look there. gotta have USHL talent, but sometimes the differential comes from places where not everybody is looking.

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                sure, but that's not news to NCAA recruiters.
                don't get me wrong...every team needs to go there and it's only good that LSSU is starting to go after USHL guys again.
                the catch is that last year USHL teams averaged around 21 college commitments. tough competition, even for the 3rd and 4th liners. like Bill said, pulling in depth USHL guys doesn't always mean winning.
                Globke came out of Carleton Place, right? that's a team that turns out talent every year (10 DI commitments from the 2014-15 team), and the BC's and UND's of the world don't even bother to look there. gotta have USHL talent, but sometimes the differential comes from places where not everybody is looking.
                The big name schools will look wherever they feel they can find the talent, including the CCHL and OJHL. UND currently has Caggiula from the OJHL on their roster, and they have a kid in their recruiting pipeline from the CCHL. True, the OJHL and CCHL may not be prime recruiting ground for them, but they will look there.

Comment

The big name schools will look wherever they feel they can find the talent, including the CCHL and OJHL. UND currently has Caggiula from the OJHL on their roster, and they have a kid in their recruiting pipeline from the CCHL. True, the OJHL and CCHL may not be prime recruiting ground for them, but they will look there.
                  point taken.
                  although according to the CCHL's NCAA D1 alumni list, last season broke down like this:

Colgate (8)
                  Niagara (8)
                  Mercyhurst (6)
                  RMU (6)
                  Clarkson (6)
                  BGSU (5)
                  Union (4)
                  Army (4)

LSSU, Canisius, Northeastern, and Maine had three CCHL alumns each.
                  Ferris, UAH, RIT, Princeton, Lowell, and Western Mich. had two each.
                  MTU, RPI, UConn, AIC, SLU, Q'Pac, Cornell, Sacred Heart, and Penn St. had one each.

A few big schools, but not many. Mostly the CCHL is a NY state stomping ground.
                  Haven't looked at the OJHL.

Comment

• Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                    I am sure Whittens first season with 28 losses is a hard pill to swallow. if anything should push him hard to get the Lakers back to the top, 28 losses should be a great motivator.

Every time I have talked to Damon or the other coaches they give me the impression that they are very motivated and working hard to right the ship. One other thing that they are doing is changing the atmosphere from the players being laid back to now knowing to work hard before someone takes their spot.

When we had quite a few players from the Toronto area the team benefitted from the offseason connections to some pro's and workout guru's. The Monardo's, McParland's, Cassiani's among others helped the team get better.
                    BLEED BLUE

Comment

We have a new verbal commitment. Dustin Manz, a young forward, played for Little Caesars U16 this past season; 99 birth date.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=284095

Comment

Thanks Bill.
                        BLEED BLUE

Comment

Jim Roque would be a good fit at Tech now that they lost a coach. Would be like home coming with Shawhan and Roque back together.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                            Jim Roque would be a good fit at Tech now that they lost a coach. Would be like home coming with Shawhan and Roque back together.

Comment

My thoughts exactly.
                              LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post

Well it is Mrs Roque's home town.
                                BLEED BLUE

Comment

Working...
                                X