B1G Championship in Detroit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1G Championship in Detroit

Like a kids tournament, every team gets to play at least once, so all 6 teams are coming.

And instead of being able to call the conference powerful and even, we can only call us all average, and probably will end up with one team playing the following week.

So all of the optimism said, who's coming to Detroit for the championships March 19-21?

If you are into BBQ and Alcohol, I'd suggest a trip down Michigan Ave to the west of downtown- get some slo's BBQ and stop a Two James for whatever drink you like- they make it there. There's apparently another distillery downtown- and we will try to go there that weekened, too.

At the Detroit Institute of Arts- there's a new show with Frida Khalo and Diego Rivera starting on Saturday. Nice art museum.

For the fans disgusted with hockey, a Wayne Shorter concert at the DSO at 8pm on Friday.

Just thought I'd start a thread, since 5/6 of our teams will likely have the season end with this tournament. ugh.

Re: B1G Championship in Detroit

I would kill to see the look on the faces of Minnesota and Wisconsin when they are introduced to the dump that is the JLA.

The first day of the tournament will be a locker room logistical nightmare, with the two top teams skating in the morning and the other four playing games. The building can handle three teams comfortably, not counting the Red Wings locker room. But six teams will overwhelm the place.

That's not even taking into account the media demands in the "pressbox". For those of you who haven't experienced the JLA, they forgot to build a pressbox and hurriedly lopped off the top couple rows of seats to retrofit one. It has to be the worst media area in any US sporting venue

Comment

This season's 2015 B1G Tournament will be the first and 2017 the last B1G tournament at the Joe before demolition in 2017 when the new $650 million Red Wings arena complex is finished.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/Joe_Louis_Arena.JPG
      Last edited by HarleyMC; 03-13-2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Isn't the new arena going to be opening during the 2017-18 season? So the 2017 edition will be at the Joe?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
          Isn't the new arena going to be opening during the 2017-18 season? So the 2017 edition will be at the Joe?
          You know you could be right on that Bonin. I read the article and assumed it wasn't happening. But the B1G still indicates 2017 B1G tourney is scheduled for the Joe and then I guess they demolish it afterwards...haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
            The target for completion is the 2017-18 NHL season. So the 2017 B1G tournament (which would come at the end of the 2016-17 season) would be too early for the new building. They are scheduled to be a 2018 NCAA mens basketball 2nd/3rd round site.
            Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 03-13-2015, 01:03 PM.

Comment

So it sounds that some of you won't be coming to Joe, then.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                The first day of the tournament will be a locker room logistical nightmare, with the two top teams skating in the morning and the other four playing games. The building can handle three teams comfortably, not counting the Red Wings locker room. But six teams will overwhelm the place.

That's not even taking into account the media demands in the "pressbox". For those of you who haven't experienced the JLA, they forgot to build a pressbox and hurriedly lopped off the top couple rows of seats to retrofit one. It has to be the worst media area in any US sporting venue
                The Joe used to host the CCHA Super Six, so hopefully they remember the logistics from that. IIRC, that also involved a third place game, so 4 of the teams stayed for the last day.

The press box is an amusing afterthought. I haven't been in many, but it was interesting only being able to see half the ice from my seat in the press box (thank goodness for the video board).
                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                7 B1G
                7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                  The Joe used to host the CCHA Super Six, so hopefully they remember the logistics from that.
                  The Super Six used to see teams that were there for practice dress in the hallway - if they opted to even take their ice when the locker rooms were full. Ask any of the equipment guys (especially those with a 5 or 6 seed) what it was like...especially the one year I seem to recall that the Red Wings did not offer their locker room for use. One team dressed for practice in the referee's room.

Comment

The Red Wings rarely allow use of their locker room. The "visitor" side has four locker rooms, the regular NHL visitor locker room and three smaller rooms that the junior teams generally use. The top seed for the day gets the NHL room.

Comment

It's likely that the teams will just deal with the situation- just like when they go to an old arena and the facilities are not the best.

There is a championship to focus on.

Comment

What ticks me off is the lack of effort by the B1G to take care of the fans the way the CCHA did.
                        No partnership with the Renaissance Center or rooms set aside and NO discounts set up for rooms!
                        The CCHA had $60.00 bucks a night knocked off rooms for their tourney.
                        I LOVED the atmosphere at the Ren Center being decked out for the tourney and the ability to interact with players & fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                          What ticks me off is the lack of effort by the B1G to take care of the fans the way the CCHA did.
                          No partnership with the Renaissance Center or rooms set aside and NO discounts set up for rooms!
                          The CCHA had $60.00 bucks a night knocked off rooms for their tourney.
                          I LOVED the atmosphere at the Ren Center being decked out for the tourney and the ability to interact with players & fans.
                          The CCHA was only hockey, the B1G is not. DeLaney could care less about us. Hockey doesn't make money like football and bouncy-ball do. We're fortunate that the B1G allows us to put their emblem on our jerseys....
                          Originally posted by alfablue
                          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                            The CCHA was only hockey, the B1G is not. DeLaney could care less about us. Hockey doesn't make money like football and bouncy-ball do. We're fortunate that the B1G allows us to put their emblem on our jerseys....
                            It's still a shame.
                            Always had a great time in D town whether my team was playing or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                              It's still a shame.
                              Always had a great time in D town whether my team was playing or not.
                              Detroit gets a bad rap. It's a great place to hang-out (as long as you don't venture into the wrong parts).
                              Originally posted by alfablue
                              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                              X