B1G Championship in Detroit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    Filling the rink is easy..So it's easy to get another 19,000 fans into the arena? Are they going to give tickets away on the streets and include free meals?

Improving attendance should be easy if they truly didn't market or promote it at all, yes, but there's a serious lack of interest in B1G college hockey fans wanting to spend their money on the conference tournament. To say it is easy to fill the place is pretty crazy IMHO.
    I too came for ccha tournaments. Where there were more here at JLA than were at the X last year. With a lot smaller schools.

And the wcha did better than the big ten did at the X last year, with similar circumstances.

It's been done before, just use the ccha and old wcha as models.

Big ten teams fill Yost better than ccha teams do. Walking to the game last night, nobody knew what was going on. That is because nobody advertised anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Because DET is a craphole, I couldn't get the time off from work needed to get there, and due to other outside forces didn't have the money for the trip. Mostly the first point, though.
      So? Such a super fan would not care.

Whining and excuses.

Comment

• Re: B1G Championship in Detroit

Watching on BTN I couldn't help thinking that some of college hockey's most storied programs are rotting away in the dark closet of the B1G conference.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Actually according to Rick Pizzo (BTN Studio Guy) who posts on GPL a lot the ratings are below expectations. From the sounds of it Minnesota is about the same but the rest are far below. No one is watching.
          Of course hockey hasn't met B1G HQ expectations. Undoubtedly they sold it internally...with the thoughts of a new NHL in NYC in the backs of their minds.

The good thing for hockey is that the B1G doesn't have anywhere else to go. BTN desperately needs a #3 sport. Do they show wrestling on Friday nights? Swimming? Do they move basketball to Fridays? What do they show on Wednesday then? Hockey will be the #3 spectator sport...no matter what they do. And its a #3 sport that no other conference network has making it a competitive advantage...the ACC won't have it nor the SEC and I doubt the PAC will ever get enough numbers.

So what does the B1G do? They promote hockey to upgrade it from a weak #3 to a decent #3. And B1G hockey programs and their schools win. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            I'd have no problem with campus sites.

Let the team that wins the regular season be the host. Reward them. Make the regular season mean something.

I think all of the teams have to be in, coz that's seems to be how college sports generally work.

The only issue I see is places where the arenas are multi-use like Madison and Columbus.

In Madison, it could be moved to the Coliseum if there are conflicts. What about Columbus?
            The problem with that, as others have noted, is that you have to leave the dates open in the POSSIBILITY of having games played. If it doesn't happen, they are sitting with an empty weekend.....
            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
              If your attitude is typical, high school hockey in Michigan will always be crappy, which is fine by us. Total attendance in our tourney this year was a record 135,618. How did your's do?
              Don't know, don't care. The last time I attended a high school sporting event was when I was a high schooler.

Going to a HS sporting event without a child in it is a little..... off.
              ---
              National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
              Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
              19 Conference Championships
              10 Conference Tournament Championships
              2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Yeah like Mariucci has stuff going on this weekend too. All stadiums will have the logistical issue.

Hmmm...what if you do it where last years champion hosts. That way they get the reward from last year and have the time to plan around it.

If they did it that way I would then change the trophy and make it a travelling trophy, whoever hoists the trophy hosts the tourny.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  There's better QUALITY hockey in the Twin Cities right now?

Its Detroit?

I really enjoy seeing the BIG 10 crash and burn. It is great!
                  !!!!!
                  AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                    Don't know, don't care. The last time I attended a high school sporting event was when I was a high schooler.

Ha, you're so ****ing clueless.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      I too came for ccha tournaments. Where there were more here at JLA than were at the X last year. With a lot smaller schools.

And the wcha did better than the big ten did at the X last year, with similar circumstances.

It's been done before, just use the ccha and old wcha as models.

Big ten teams fill Yost better than ccha teams do. Walking to the game last night, nobody knew what was going on. That is because nobody advertised anything.
                      As awesome as it would be to see another conference tournament even get to a comparison of the old Final Five, which was considered the gold standard for a conference tournament, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

The old WCHA and the B1G last year can't even be compared. Similar circumstances? Not even close.
                      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        There's better QUALITY hockey in the Twin Cities right now?

I really enjoy seeing the BIG 10 crash and burn. It is great!
                        Probably the WCHA and NCHC tournaments will feature better teams than the B10, so there is better hockey in Minnesota right now.

And I also enjoy seeing this B10 thing crumble into obscurity.

Comment

• Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post

Don't consider this the state of HS hockey in MI...

We love our HS hockey here and it's growing at the youth level.
                          Last edited by Superfly100; 03-20-2015, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            So why are you not here, then?

Why do you care how many local fans show up?

Based on your posts, you should be here.

But you are at home whining about everyone else. Stunning.
                            Why travel to another state to watch your team when you can stay in Minnesota and legally jerk off into your coworker's coffee?
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                              As awesome as it would be to see another conference tournament even get to a comparison of the old Final Five, which was considered the gold standard for a conference tournament, I don't see it happening anytime soon.
                              Frankly the North Star Cup is the closest out there right now to the Final Five.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

The Big Ten will never be obscure. You have 3 of the winningest programs in college hockey history (one of which exists in the largest pool of American hockey players and hand picks from it) that play in it. The conference tournament is a joke but if you think Michigan/Minnesota/Wisconsin are going to fall off the map then you might want to stop huffing glue.

The Final Five was great, but mainly because St. Paul was a perfect spot for the main schools to go to. Almost all of the schools had alumni in the Twin Cities and if not they could drive it. (except Colorado schools, but their fanbases werent very large) The Gophers bought tons of tickets which helped as well. Not to mention it was at the height of a boom of talent entering college and that league especially. It is just an unfair comparison. No tournament is going to be able to just start up and do that I dont care who is involved.

Start small, build up bad blood and tradition, then grow.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X