Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B1G Championship in Detroit

Per "Magic" on GopherPuckLive:

I attended both games yesterday and there was no way 3400 people were in the stands (probably max 1000) The best part is the Ushers guarded EVERY aisle not allowing the General Admission Upper level fans (not many) to move down at any time?

And Handy is right. MI fans won't drive 45 minutes? MN fans have driven farther to watch hockey that doesn't involve their team. Many times.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

So what you are saying is that you are a super fan base if it's close to you. Thanks for the clarification.

Besides, many posted a year ago that the actual attendance was not what was tickets sold.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Instead of whining, some of us actually do show up. Obviously some of you think you are a better person since you support hockey better. Not sure why you think that, but you do. Good for you and your psyche.

Regardless, it's not about the rink money, it's about the tv money. Btn gets more money than fox did, so the ticket sales don't matter. If they did, the big ten would bother to just send a press release to the news in the area. They didn't. Nor a hotel or ticket packages and the ticket prices are higher than home games for Michigan and State. Easy way to avoid fans there, charge them more to see teams they don't care for. Brilliant.

As I posted before, promoting this is easy, as is filling the rink. The big ten needs to just try.
        Filling the rink is easy..So it's easy to get another 19,000 fans into the arena? Are they going to give tickets away on the streets and include free meals?

Improving attendance should be easy if they truly didn't market or promote it at all, yes, but there's a serious lack of interest in B1G college hockey fans wanting to spend their money on the conference tournament. To say it is easy to fill the place is pretty crazy IMHO.
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Per "Magic" on GopherPuckLive:

I attended both games yesterday and there was no way 3400 people were in the stands (probably max 1000) The best part is the Ushers guarded EVERY aisle not allowing the General Admission Upper level fans (not many) to move down at any time?

And Handy is right. MI fans won't drive 45 minutes? MN fans have driven farther to watch hockey that doesn't involve their team. Many times.
          "Magic" must have been at a different game than I was (or learned to count at State..I'm still not saying it was good attendance but 3,000 seems reasonable). I sat wherever I wanted, walked around talking to various friends between games. Sometime during the 1st period of the 2nd game the ushers told and encouraged the upper bowl general admission fans to move down (and seemed surprised when the Michigan students didn't want to move).
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            Wisconsin had no business being in a post season tournament and one day a team like that will be out to injure other teams just cause they have nothing to lose. Not to mention what fan wants to watch the last place team play for the price these tournies charge?

C'mon..

Your other points are solid though.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              So what you are saying is that you are a super fan base if it's close to you. Thanks for the clarification.

Besides, many posted a year ago that the actual attendance was not what was tickets sold.
              No I am not saying anything...this isnt about who is better. You are saying more people have access and while that may be true more people arent watching. My guess is the same amount of people overall are watching these games on BTN (or streaming like I do) as were watching on the FSNs. BTN is not pleased by this that is the impression we have gotten from Pizzo.

Trust me I rail all over Gopher fans who whine about the Big Ten and wont watch because of it. The whining is epic...it goes on for pages if there is a Thursday game or if a game is pre-empted even though FSN used to pre-empt us all the time. They want the Big Ten to improve but gave up on it day 1. They want college hockey to grow but stay a cute niche sport that only a few know about. They want new teams added but no realignment...it is crazy.

The Big Ten needs to go back to basics, start small and build. Keeping the tourny at the X and JLA is not going to do it because no wants to go to games at half empty arenas and watching on tv is no better.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                C'mon..

Your other points are solid though.
                I dont think you guys will do it, but we have seen low rung teams take cheap shots before they will do it again. I did hyperbolize a bit but rivalries and goons do lead to bad situations.
                Last edited by Handyman; 03-20-2015, 09:09 AM.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

What part of "driving more than 45 minutes" didn't you understand?

Edit: FTR, I've flown to CO to see Gophers games. Also have driven to Houghton (many times) for Gophers games.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I'd have no problem with campus sites.

Let the team that wins the regular season be the host. Reward them. Make the regular season mean something.

I think all of the teams have to be in, coz that's seems to be how college sports generally work.

The only issue I see is places where the arenas are multi-use like Madison and Columbus.

In Madison, it could be moved to the Coliseum if there are conflicts. What about Columbus?

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      I dont think you guys will do it, but we have seen low rung teams take cheap shots before they will do it again. I did hyperbolize a bit but rivalries and goons do lead to bad situations.

I just don't see it and I didn't take it that you were pointing that at us.

I guess I just expect more from hockey players than that. I'm not naive, but NoDak isn't in our conference anymore, so I don't see a candidate for that behavior.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        I've seen top teams in the country take cheap shots in the playoffs as well. Your thinking is asinine.
                        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Half the time, they won't drive across Ann Arbor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Edit: FTR, I've flown to CO to see Gophers games. Also have driven to Houghton (many times) for Gophers games.
                            So why are you not here, then?

Why do you care how many local fans show up?

Based on your posts, you should be here.

But you are at home whining about everyone else. Stunning.

Comment

Because DET is a craphole, I couldn't get the time off from work needed to get there, and due to other outside forces didn't have the money for the trip. Mostly the first point, though.

Comment

There's better QUALITY hockey in the Twin Cities right now?

Its Detroit?

I really enjoy seeing the BIG 10 crash and burn. It is great!
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X