Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B1G Championship in Detroit

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    And with that factoid, a side note: the two ********s that you can thank for this crappy neutral site format are Barry Alvarez and Gene Smith. They are the ones who didn't want the original tournament format.
    NOBODY down here likes Gene Smith. He's an overpaid idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      NOBODY down here likes Gene Smith. He's an overpaid idiot!
      Are you saying you would rather have the WOW factor? Because I know a man who needs a job.

*******http://i.imgur.com/SJJ5oGh.jpg********
      ---
      National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
      Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
      19 Conference Championships
      10 Conference Tournament Championships
      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
        Are you saying you would rather have the WOW factor? Because I know a man who needs a job.

*******http://i.imgur.com/SJJ5oGh.jpg********
        Brandon? Yeah, that is a WOW.
        I think we could get a well qualified Ohio State alum who would do a much better job for a fraction of the one & a quarter million a year they're throwing away on Smith.
        Personally I don't think anyone working for a public institution should make more a year than the Governor of the entire state!
        If he wasn't so up there in years former football coach Earl Bruce would be the perfect guy.
        He bleeds Scarlet & Grey and is honest with ETHICS!

Comment

Day 1 in St. Paul sold 14k tickets. That is almost 5 times the tickets sold as the Joe without Minnesota playing that day. I doubt this tourny is at the Joe very many years in the future.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I would guess they'll at least give the new Olympia/Joe/whatever it's going to be called one or two shots at hosting before writing off Detroit.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Day 1 in St. Paul sold 14k tickets. That is almost 5 times the tickets sold as the Joe without Minnesota playing that day. I doubt this tourny is at the Joe very many years in the future.
              I brought this up before but no replies, if this is an open would financially for the conference do you think they'll try and scrap what's already in place and come up with something different or are the contracts all signed and it's a done deal for the next 3 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                I brought this up before but no replies, if this is an open would financially for the conference do you think they'll try and scrap what's already in place and come up with something different or are the contracts all signed and it's a done deal for the next 3 years?
                What changes can they make that will make the fans who dont care care? What rule can they put in place that will get Michigan fans to show up for a game not against State and vice versa?

Spartan,

My guess is the new Joe gets 2 years and if it cant beat St. Paul then it will be out.
                Last edited by Handyman; 03-19-2015, 10:43 PM.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I was talking to some people high up in the B1G last year who were attending one of our games and when I asked about the future of the tournament beyond the initial 5 years they responded the conference was open to other cities hosting but what was said then and what will eventually happen may well be something entirely different.

Comment

BUT HOCKEYTOWN!

Friggin' MI. What a joke.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      BUT HOCKEYTOWN!

But their university has more national titles than yours.

Comment

It isnt the cities, it is the fanbases. The only reason St. Paul had better numbers is Gopher fan bought packages. They didnt exactly show up outside of their games but whatever.

If the games went to say, Columbus do yo really think that would make a difference? I watched when the Gophs played up there attendance was sparse. Add in that many years OSU will be playing b-ball still and no one will care. (not ripping your fanbase fyi) Michigan fans wont travel 45 minutes to watch at the Joe unless they play State we know they wont travel either.

This tournament sucks just like the Big Ten basketball tourny sucks. it is too expensive, the travel isnt ideal and the arenas are too big for the product. It is stale...I would rather they scrap it altogether.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          BUT HOCKEYTOWN!

Much better NHL franchise. Don't even reply, the Red Wings are infinitely better than the Wild. Do you understand logic? Of course not, you're a gofer fan...
                          Originally posted by alfablue
                          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by William Blake View Post
                            Did look, couldn't find it, but thanks for nothing.
                            I would never advocate anything illegal, but you may want to look a little harder and/or change your search terms

Comment

It isnt the cities, it is the fanbases. The only reason St. Paul had better numbers is Gopher fan bought packages. They didnt exactly show up outside of their games but whatever.

If the games went to say, Columbus do yo really think that would make a difference? I watched when the Gophs played up there attendance was sparse. Add in that many years OSU will be playing b-ball still and no one will care. Michigan fans wont travel 45 minutes to watch at the Joe we know they wont travel either.

This tournament sucks just like the Big Ten basketball tourny sucks. it is too expensive, the travel isnt ideal and the arenas are too big for the product. It is stale...I would rather they scrap it altogether.
                              The the BTHC would lose it's auto-bid.
                              Originally posted by alfablue
                              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                                Much better NHL franchise. Don't even reply, the Red Wings are infinitely better than the Wild. Do you understand logic? Of course not, you're a gofer fan...
                                Here's some logic. I'm not a Wild fan.

And what does the NHL have to do with college hockey?

MI sucks at the following of the sport OVERALL. Can't pigeonhole one aspect of it.

BOX.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X