Minnesota hosts Penn State: 3/13 & 3/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota hosts Penn State: 3/13 & 3/14

Minnesota hosts Penn State at Mariucci this weekend, Friday game is at 7pm and is on BTN2GO and Saturday is at 7 pm and is on FSN Plus.

Minnesota is currently 1 point behind Michigan State for first in the B1G, tied with Michigan. Michigan State and Michigan play each other this weekend. The Gophers would need a sweep of Penn State and a split for Michigan Michigan State to win their 2nd B1G title in 2 years.

Go

Edit:Not sure how the tie breakers would work if we sweep and Michigan or Michigan State win and then tie with either a SO win or loss.
    Last edited by Driftryder; 03-09-2015, 10:20 AM.
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Re: Minnesota hosts Penn State: 3/13 & 3/14

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
    Not sure how the tie breakers would work if we sweep and Michigan or Michigan State win and then tie with either a SO win or loss.
    B1G Conference Title Tiebreakers

1) Gophers: Sweep Penn State = 6 pts., B1G total 39 pts.

.....a) Michigan State: W and Shootout win = 5 pts., B1G total 39 pts. Gophers win on better W% vs MSU on the second tiebreaker (.625 vs .375).

.....b) Michigan: Sweep MSU = 6 pts., B1G total 39 pts. Michigan wins on the first tiebreaker of most B1G wins with 13 vs Gophers 12.

2) Gophers: Win and a Shootout win = 5 pts., B1G total 38 pts.

.....a) Michigan State: W and Shootout loss = 4 pts., B1G total 38 pts. Gophers win on better W% vs MSU on the second tiebreaker (.625 vs .375).

.....b) Michigan: W and Shootout win = 5 pts., B1G total 38 pts. Michigan wins on the first tiebreaker of most B1G wins with 12 vs Gophers 11.

3) Gophers: Win and a Shootout loss = 4 pts., B1G total 37 pts.

.....a) Michigan State and Michigan: Split = 3 pts., Michigan B1G total 36 pts./Michigan State B1G total 37 pts. Gophers win on better W% vs MSU on the second tiebreaker (.625 vs .375).

.....b) Michigan: W and Shootout loss = 4 pts, B1G total 37 pts. Michigan wins on the first tiebreaker of most B1G wins with 12 vs Gophers 11.

4) Gophers: Split = 3 pts., B1G total 36 pts. Cannot win the B1G title with a weekend split.

Comment

Thanks Harley.

Also, the Friday game is being picked up and televised locally by the CW channel 23. It's streamed on BTN2GO as well.
      Originally posted by CavalryNate
      Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
        Thanks Harley.

Also, the Friday game is being picked up and televised locally by the CW channel 23. It's streamed on BTN2GO as well.
        You're most welcome sir. Gotta love the drama surrounding this weekend...it's crunch time.

Comment

Last edited by MN Magic; 04-02-2015, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Friday night game is not on the main WUCW, it on WUCW GETTV 23.2 Not the main WUCW channel.
            https://***********/GopherPuckLive/s...85886125309952

That right, i am screw. i don't get GETTV on directv. so i am out of luck. Unless a sports channel on my sports package pick it up.
            Go Gophers Go.

Comment

Originally posted by Gophers #1 View Post
              Friday night game is not on the main WUCW, it on WUCW GETTV 23.2 Not the main WUCW channel.
              https://***********/GopherPuckLive/s...85886125309952

That right, i am screw. i don't get GETTV on directv. so i am out of luck. Unless a sports channel on my sports package pick it up.
              More on the TV situation: http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/295652951.html
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Net message is that if MI or MSU sweeps they win the B1G title no matter what...from what I read.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Net message is that if MI or MSU sweeps they win the B1G title no matter what...from what I read.
                  That's correct. But it's a home and home series, which means there's a chance neither will sweep. The only B1G teams Michigan has swept are the Gophers and Wisc. (twice). Sparty is the only B1G team that has not been swept by a B1G team this season. Michigan leads the series 2-1-0. Michigan's second win (4-1) was the Hockey City Classic in Chicago which was delayed for nearly two hours due to warm weather and poor ice conditions. The other games were 2-1 Michigan and 2-1 MSU both at the Joe.

After losing to MSU in January:

“It’s pretty obvious what happened,” said Michigan coach Red Berenson. “Everyone builds this game up as an offense against defense, and you know what happens: defense wins."
                  EDIT: This is a huge rivalry series that drew a total of over 37,000 fans at the Joe in two games.
                  Last edited by HarleyMC; 03-09-2015, 11:15 PM.

Comment

That's part of it.
                    The other part is, if MN sweeps and there is any sharing of points, in any combination, between MSU-MI then MN wins the league.

Harley and I are on the same page I think - both leaning toward MN taking the majority if not all of the pts this weekend, and both expecting that neither MI nor MSU will sweep.

I think MN is in the best position heading into the weekend.

But like I've said earlier in the thread, the Big 10 title doesn't mean a whole lot to me in terms of projecting how the Gophers do in the NCAA's if/when they get there. The last time MN played games against the upper echelon of the NCAA was the North Star Cup, and we all know how that turned out.

One of my grumps with the Big 10 and the way games are scheduled is that MN heads into the tournament with very few (if any) recent games against elite opponents. And I think that is a serious detriment to their chances, and will be year in and year out so long as the Big 10 remains a mediocre conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                      One of my grumps with the Big 10 and the way games are scheduled is that MN heads into the tournament with very few (if any) recent games against elite opponents. And I think that is a serious detriment to their chances, and will be year in and year out so long as the Big 10 remains a mediocre conference.
                      Couldn't agree more with the "grump". I looked at that the other day. All conferences generally wind down the season playing mainly other conference opponents with very few, if any NC games. I'd like to see a nationwide NCAA scheduling change to mix more NC games in the second half for two reasons: 1) There's little chance of big strides in the PWR in the second half when it counts the most if conferences (it's especially significant with weaker conferences and the B1G is most likely second only to AHA as the weakest conference) stack all their conference games at the end without mixing in any NCs against higher ranking teams and 2) As conference teams perform better and gain momentum towards playoff time, without testing their performance against other higher ranking teams the PWR representativeness and regional seeding of those teams is intrinsically confounded.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                        I understand your scheduling gripe, but how can you complain about a mediocre conference when Minnesota is not even in first place? If they were running away with the conference, then you would have a beef. The conference as a whole is in a down year, get over it.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

So to sum:

1) B1G Title: If MI or MSU sweep, they win the title. If not, MN wins the title by sweep.
                          2) First Round Bye at B1G: If MN sweeps, we get first round bye. If not, we pretty much need a MI or MSU sweep to get a first round bye (barring complicated tie scenarios).
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

If the Gophers can take these "409 Forever" prycks to the woodshed this weekend that would be great, mmmmmmkay

Comment

So to sum:

1) B1G Title: If MI or MSU sweep, they win the title. If not, MN wins the title by sweep.
                              2) First Round Bye at B1G: If MN sweeps, we get first round bye. If not, we pretty much need a MI or MSU sweep to get a first round bye (barring complicated tie scenarios).
                              For Minnesota to win the Big Ten. we need to sweep Penn State and have MSU and Michigan split. their are other ways. But this is the simple way.
                              Go Gophers Go.

Comment

Working...
                              X