SCSU @ UNO 1st Round NCHC Playoffs: Unleash the Worry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCSU @ UNO 1st Round NCHC Playoffs: Unleash the Worry

SCSU split with DU after they were already locked into the 6 seed the previous week, and UNO took 4 points from CC at home, and came darn close to less than that. UNO's fanbase's confidence level stands about as tall as Jono Davis, but at least their confidence won't get tossed out of the game for a CFB.

I'm quite upset this will be the first SCSU games in Omaha I'll not have attended since UNO joined the WCHA.

Let the games begin; its not like either team has much riding on the series
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Re: SCSU @ UNO 1st Round NCHC Playoffs: Unleash the Worry

This thread is off to a hilarious, if not tragic start.

After last night, this is "sigh of relief" night for UNO fan.

One thing I can pretty much guarantee you is that this series will be poorly attended. These games are included in season ticket holder packages, but, that is only 3,500 seats or so. The 3 game home loss against DU last season drew, in order, 3,862, 4,563, & 3,873. The school has less than a week to "drum up interest" in these games. My prediction is: Ticket discounts ala this weekend's series versus CC.

This is a scary series for UNO. I'd have rather played UMD. And, SCSU is an experienced, seasoned team that has really underachieved this season. They are not a desirable opponent here.

Zombo has alluded to his sucking it up and playing the rest of the way although he needs surgery to fix what is wrong with him. I don't know how badly Massa was hurt in the warm-ups, tonight.

I'll reserve judgement on this one until later in the week.

UNO has not won a conference tourney series since the '04-'05 season.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
      This thread is off to a hilarious, if not tragic start.

After last night, this is "sigh of relief" night for UNO fan.

One thing I can pretty much guarantee you is that this series will be poorly attended. These games are included in season ticket holder packages, but, that is only 3,500 seats or so. The 3 game home loss against DU last season drew, in order, 3,862, 4,563, & 3,873. The school has less than a week to "drum up interest" in these games. My prediction is: Ticket discounts ala this weekend's series versus CC.

This is a scary series for UNO. I'd have rather played UMD. And, SCSU is an experienced, seasoned team that has really underachieved this season. They are not a desirable opponent here.

Zombo has alluded to his sucking it up and playing the rest of the way although he needs surgery to fix what is wrong with him. I don't know how badly Massa was hurt in the warm-ups, tonight.

I'll reserve judgement on this one until later in the week.

Massa took a shot to the pills in the warmups is what I am hearing. He should be fine for next week. Thompson is the only goaltender for UNO that has won a game in the last three weeks though
      UNO Maverick fan and Gopher hater, stuck in Husky country...

Comment

It's been that long? All I've focused on is the failures in the WCHA and NCHC and that's just recent history.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          It's been that long? All I've focused on is the failures in the WCHA and NCHC and that's just recent history.
          I stand corrected, we made it to the 2nd round of the CCHA playoffs at the end of the '07-'08 season by winning what was then 9th longest game in NCAA D-1 history against Alaska. Too many brews for me last night, I guess. But, that didn't get us to the Joe. That got us a date with Michigan at Yost were we got swept and outscored 12-2. '04-'05 was the last time we made it made it to a neutral site tourney game, though.

But, not even in '10-'11, when went to the NCAA's. We got swept at home by Bemidji State. Altogether, now, "Trap trap trap trap. Trap, trap, trap trap........................"

Our all-time record in postseason tourney games since the beginning of the program?

How about 15-28?

Under Dean Blais? Try 2-10.

Goes right hand-in-hand with his post February 1st record over the past 4 seasons at UNO that I posted about in our season thread recently, which is now 15-26-5.

Comment

I stand corrected, we made it to the 2nd round of the CCHA playoffs at the end of the '07-'08 season by winning what was then 9th longest game in NCAA D-1 history against Alaska. Too many brews for me last night, I guess. But, that didn't get us to the Joe. That got us a date with Michigan at Yost were we got swept and outscored 12-2. '04-'05 was the last time we made it made it to a neutral site tourney game, though.

But, not even in '10-'11, when went to the NCAA's. We got swept at home by Bemidji State. Altogether, now, "Trap trap trap trap. Trap, trap, trap trap........................"

Our all-time record in postseason tourney games since the beginning of the program?

How about 15-28?

Under Dean Blais? Try 2-10.

Goes right hand-in-hand with his post February 1st record over the past 4 seasons at UNO that I posted about in our season thread recently, which is now 15-26-5.
            SCSU has a lot to play for as they cannot make the tourney with a sub-500 record if I recall (Thanks Bucky). They need to sweep or make the finals if they don't sweep. UNO needs to get the playoff monkey off their back

It would be nice to go to the tourney and go with some momentum for a change

Comment

Originally posted by 5thYearFreshman View Post
              SCSU has a lot to play for as they cannot make the tourney with a sub-500 record if I recall (Thanks Bucky). They need to sweep or make the finals if they don't sweep. UNO needs to get the playoff monkey off their back

It would be nice to go to the tourney and go with some momentum for a change
              Yes, indeed. I am a little bit buoyed by the thought that what happened to us in St. Cloud 3 weeks ago is still fresh in everyone's minds and that would serve as an extra motivating factor for us. I know I haven't forgotten having the lead on that Friday night with 3:04 left and losing in regulation. I am certainly our guys haven't, either. I hope they remember REAL well.

Comment

I know you're a numbers/stats guy so I figured you'd appreciate this:

Despite being 6th out of 8 teams in the conference, we gave up tied for the 2nd fewest goals in conference play with 56, one behind UND's 55. That would make it sound like we can't score, but we finished fourth with a respectable 69 goals. Our +13 goal differential is tied with Miami for 2nd behind UND. And just think if we'd gotten a second series with CC, at home no less.

Omaha is tied for 2nd with us in goals surrendered, 56, and has scored 2 less than us. Their 67 are the 6th most in the conference.

I am NOT trying to make the argument that these numbers indicate SCSU is/was vastly better than UNO, or even better at all. Just pointing out how in the NCHC, there's a very fine line between how the teams in the middle finish, and I have the feeling that 3-6 will be separated by very little year after year (heck, this year you can throw in Miami and I think make an argument for WMU in that mix as well).

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post

Despite being 6th out of 8 teams in the conference, we gave up tied for the 2nd fewest goals in conference play with 56, one behind UND's 55. That would make it sound like we can't score, but we finished fourth with a respectable 69 goals. Our +13 goal differential is tied with Miami for 2nd behind UND. And just think if we'd gotten a second series with CC, at home no less.

Omaha is tied for 2nd with us in goals surrendered, 56, and has scored 2 less than us. Their 67 are the 6th most in the conference.

I am NOT trying to make the argument that these numbers indicate SCSU is/was vastly better than UNO, or even better at all. Just pointing out how in the NCHC, there's a very fine line between how the teams in the middle finish, and I have the feeling that 3-6 will be separated by very little year after year (heck, this year you can throw in Miami and I think make an argument for WMU in that mix as well).
                  Yeah, I am a huge sabermetrics fan and wish that something approximating that approach to hockey existed for college hockey.

You are absolutely right. There is an an incredibly fine line in our league. Just ask DU, who played into the NCAA tourney last year in the conference's first season. That would be a bigger surprise, I think, this season, but I don't think its impossible that it could happen again this season. I'd like WMU's chances much better than CC (and, I have yet to look at the actual brackets, I might add).

If we lose our series with you guys next weekend, I'll be shocked, like, not at all. Given how young we are and what, basically, the same cast and characters on your team did last season, I'd have hard time saying I'd be crushingly disappointed if SCSU does prevail next weekend.

SCSU would be a legitimate threat to win any other other conference tourney in the country this season. Hell, you could win ours.

The more I think about it, the more I think UNO is currently playing with house money this season. We've exceeded my expectations on the season, frankly. My REAL hope had been (and, is) for next season, when I think UNO is a legitimate pre-season top 10 team, with another great recruiting class arriving, playing in a new arena, and might be a legitimate title threat (NCAA) if they have somebody that surfaces to play goalie at the level that will require.

Whatever happens in the rest of UNO's season, I see as laying groundwork for next. I can't see us being a serious factor in the NCAA tourney (IF we actually get there) and, how far we go, both in the conference tourney, and in the NCAA's, are all just gravy from here, being realistic.

Boy, do I wish we hadn't burned Massa's redshirt two years ago. I guarantee that our staff, had they known what the lay of the land is, now, would not have done this.

Comment

Yeah, I am a huge sabermetrics fan and wish that something approximating that approach to hockey existed for college hockey.
                    They do, it's called Corsi and Fenwick. Although I don't think it makes as much sense as some Sabrmetrics do.
                    Last edited by Biddco; 03-08-2015, 10:38 PM.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

It is definitely a crazy conference. Look at Duluth who is 5th in the conference and traveling for the playoffs, yet currently 3rd in the PWR

Comment

Any updates on Prochno yet?

Comment

Any updates on Prochno yet?
                          He said he was playing, but last I heard the doctors hav enot cleared him.
                          I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Me and the Mrs. were having pre-dinner drinks tonight at the Upstream in the Old Market here in Omaha with people I have in from out of town for a sales call tomorrow with my biggest customer.

Guess who walked in while we were imbibing with them?

The entire SCSU entourage.

I wanted to yell at them "You're goin' down this weekend!" but the wife stopped me (it took awhile for that many people to file in, and, by us and I had told her what I was thinking of doing). What I should have done was followed them upstairs (that's where they all went) and bought as many rounds for everyone as I could get into them and enjoyed the fruits of that expenditure tomorrow night to UNO's benefit. Thing is, I remember that when I was that age, I was able to go out every night and get up the next day like nothing happened, no matter how much I drank, and, go out the next night and do it, again.

Actually, the thing I was really struck by was how small all those guys looked and how young as well. Kids.

Every member of the party had the same dark shirt on (brown?) with a small SCSU log on it. Hard to yell smack at people that are all nothing but smiles, too, I might add.

I wonder how smiley they were after eating there? We were there for the beer (its a brewpub). We don't care for the food at the Upstream and ate elsewhere (M's) not long after they came in.
                            Last edited by Red Cows; 03-13-2015, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Actually, the thing I was really struck by was how small all those guys looked and how young as well. Kids.
                              SCSU typically has smaller players. This is probably the smallest team I have seen us have. We have 16 players under 6'0" and 7 of them are 5'9" or under.
                              Originally posted by SJHovey
                              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                              Originally posted by Brenthoven
                              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Working...
                              X