Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2015 Off-Season Thread: Unrequited Love

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
    Filipe's potential is much better than be played this season. Complacency, playing against such inferior talent, etc. A year in USHL next season with CR will do him a world of difference.

NU also on Hingham's Matt Demelis. NU target Jack Adams chose Princeton yesterday.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...all-state-team
    Do you think playing against "inferior" talent hurt him at all this year? Similar to Miles Wood returning to the ISL when some thought he could play NCAA? curious, as I know nothing about Mass HS hockey.
    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
      I haven't heard any noises about pro defections. I like the sound of silence.
      I agree with this 100%. I've spoken to some players directly and some other hockey sources. Based on what I have been told, I would be shocked if Roy/Szmatula/Benning/ZAR/anyone were to jump to the pro ranks. Obviously nothing is set until Fall classes begin, but we'll have a good idea of what is happening by the banquet on April 16th.
      "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

We were not recruiting Jack Adams with any intensity. Sometimes a coach is at a game to watch someone else and stories get started about a different player. I find it interesting that his "Hokydad" kept posting about how he loved Providence, where his older bro plays.

I met Matt Felipe at the Beanpot. Impressive kid with "Fernie Flaman" hands. He could probably turn a walnut into a pile of crushed nuts with one hand. He could turn out to be something special. His dad certainly was.
        Last edited by HHound; 03-24-2015, 10:14 AM.

Comment

I met Matt Felipe at the Beanpot. Impressive kid with "Fernie Flaman" hands. He could probably turn a walnut into a pile of crushed nuts with one hand. He could turn out to be something special. His dad certainly was.
          Makes me wish I had another year at NU like many of my DH brethren. The 2016 class is shaping up to be loaded, with Filipe, Jozafek, Shea, Melaragni, Armstrong all slated for arrival. They will be a lot of fun to watch when the show up.
          "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

We were not recruiting Jack Adams with any intensity. Sometimes a coach is at a game to watch someone else and stories get started about a different player. I find it interesting that his "Hokydad" kept posting about how he loved Providence, where his older bro plays.

really? "kept posting". someone asked a question and posted once about pc. one sentence

in regards to nu. hc and ast coach watched and ac invited to visit and had him to a game and visit locker etc. nu innitiated contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
              really? "kept posting". someone asked a question and posted once about pc. one sentence

in regards to nu. hc and ast coach watched and ac invited to visit and had him to a game and visit locker etc. nu innitiated contact.
              I believe you are correct about "kept posting". It was Cavbim who posted the Cox article. I sometimes wonder about Cox' fact checking. In any event, congratulations to your son. The opportunity to attend/play at Princeton offers a special educational opportunity.

Comment

I believe you are correct about "kept posting". It was Cavbim who posted the Cox article. I sometimes wonder about Cox' fact checking. In any event, congratulations to your son. The opportunity to attend/play at Princeton offers a special educational opportunity.
                All I said was Northeastern was in the picture. They were. Fact.
                https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

all he said was nu had interest. inviting a player to a game, meeting with and locker tour and telling him they want him to come back and do a campus visit etc sounds like interest to me.
                  Cox does a good job and is getting attention to lots of local hs kids. he works hard. its super for kids like filipe, shea, petrick and the rest of the locals to stay in hs and play and get recognized.
                  nu has some very nice players coming in, armstrong, filipe and Griffin will be very good college players, very good

Comment

HD, seriously you must be one seriously proud dude and justifiably so.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

happy for any local kid who gets a chance to play D 1

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                        All I said was Northeastern was in the picture. They were. Fact.
                        Perhaps you are right that they were "in the picture". Perhaps they would have eventually offered him. Based on what has been said, they were in the "getting to know you" stage. That's fine. I'm glad things have worked out well for the young man. It's nice for him to have this stage behind him. It will allow him to focus on school and hockey.

It must be a challenge, at times, for you to know exactly whom the coaches have come to watch. I should think that there is some guesswork involved - especially with those coaches who like to keep their cards close to their vests.

Comment

Perhaps you are right that they were "in the picture". Perhaps they would have eventually offered him. Based on what has been said, they were in the "getting to know you" stage. That's fine. I'm glad things have worked out well for the young man. It's nice for him to have this stage behind him. It will allow him to focus on school and hockey.

It must be a challenge, at times, for you to know exactly whom the coaches have come to watch. I should think that there is some guesswork involved - especially with those coaches who like to keep their cards close to their vests.

I am sure they bring in many kids for a game and a tour etc. if that makes a kid a little more confident and feel good about their game, not a bad thing. with only so many roster slots they are very careful....
                          based off their pipeline, its going very well

Comment

Anyone have an idea what the schedule looks like next year? We have some open spots now with the St. Lawrence series ending and hopefully no more non-conference conference games. Off the top of my head:

- 22 Hockey East Presumably @ ND twice, vs. Maine twice, and home and home x9.
                            - Beanpot
                            - Michigan State confirmed
                            - Quinnipiac owes us two games
                            - Colgate owes us two games
                            - We owe Minnesota a game (probably Thanksgiving with BC?)
                            - We owe Yale a game

That leaves three open dates, and that's assuming we finish off all three ECAC series.

I wouldn't mind bringing in someone soft as a two game warmup. Especially with a goalie battle coming. That would leave one extra game. Maybe we're saving it to play in Foxboro? They might be tearing that rink down ASAP for Pats playoff games though.

Update: Quinnipiac is only coming to Boston for one game (possibly doing 2-1-1 like we did with SLU) so there are now 4 open dates.
                            Last edited by TheRevengeance; 03-30-2015, 04:38 PM.

Comment

do you guys think derek roy comes back for his senior year i thought he played great goalie and could be one of hte best in hockey east next year just my opinion!

also

seein alot of STATS talk these days. well the STATS would say NOE has a 25% chance (OR ONE IN FOUR) at winni ng beanpots and they have'nt one a beanpot ins 40 years!!! roby's falt! Moar like ro-bye!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IHateFun View Post
                                do you guys think derek roy comes back for his senior year i thought he played great goalie and could be one of hte best in hockey east next year just my opinion!
                                I don't see why he wouldn't come back for his senior year. There's no doubt he's improved a great deal over his first 3 years, but I still feel like he has some major flaws in his game. It seemed as though he had trouble staying in position/square to the puck, and he seemed to give up a lot of dangerous rebounds. Hopefully he makes another leap forward over the offseason. Personally, I'm hoping that one of the other goalies steps up and competes for ice time. They should be better on the blue line next season, assuming no one leaves early/decommits, so that should help whoever is in net.

Comment

Working...
                                X