Northeastern Huskies 2015 Off-Season Thread: Unrequited Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2015 Off-Season Thread: Unrequited Love

hate to be the barer of bad news but according to his twitter.com page, szmatula is not coming back to NU.

I blame this on one person and and one person ONLY.......ROBY!! Good to see ROBY finished the job he started 2 years ago! ROBY was happy to let Mike Smzatulas play somewhere else because he can actually play hockey!

gO find that in your advanced stats excel spreedsheets....

Comment

Originally posted by IHateFun View Post
      hate to be the barer of bad news but according to his twitter.com page, szmatula is not coming back to NU.

I blame this on one person and and one person ONLY.......ROBY!! Good to see ROBY finished the job he started 2 years ago! ROBY was happy to let Mike Smzatulas play somewhere else because he can actually play hockey!

.....and Kyle MacLean has signed with Oshawa..... https://twitter.com/SeanLafortune/st...03834343927809
      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Ouch....tough day to be NU fan.

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...rn-jim-madigan

Comment

Sorry for your loss NU fans....
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
              Ouch....tough day to be NU fan.
              Par for the course. Good days for NU fans are few and far between (sorry guys).

Now, maybe it is a good time to rehash the discussion about why it is stupid to force a kid to attend that signed a NLOI but later wants out?
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

He could have left and set out, same thing he will have to do now
                At least NU got a couple years out of him. He is not an easy coast kid, no big deal

Comment

• Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                  .....and Kyle MacLean has signed with Oshawa..... https://twitter.com/SeanLafortune/st...03834343927809
                  Both of these happenings were known to be coming by the staff for at least a month. Not too many tears being shed over Szmatula leaving to be honest. His offensive skills will be missed but off the ice...not so much. This move allowed the coaches to accelerate Lincoln Griffin. who they are very high on. Gaudette will likely take 19's role as 2nd line forward.
                  "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

I believe that I've made my feelings crystal clear about the Hockey Assassin a.k.a. Peter Roby, but in this case he had nothing to do with Szmatula leaving. The kid got along just fine with his teammates and in his studies. This is more likely a case of a little (western) birdie planting the idea in his malleable mind that the reason his numbers were down had more to do with being in someone's shadow and at another school.

He might get a better opportunity to be the star (and to pile up the points which, to his way of thinking, validate his skills as a hockey player. You may be certain that he will not be allowed to transfer to a Hockey East school or to Denver (unless he pays his own way) and he will sit for this season while he tries to get younger. He'll be 24 when he laces them up as a junior somewhere.

Good luck to him. We appreciated his hustle for two seasons.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nick Papagiorgio;6170164]...Good days for NU fans are few and far between (sorry guys)...

True enough (sigh). But I don't see Szmatula's leaving as a show-stopper. The big question marks continue to be on defense and in goal. Forwards? Not so much. There are enough returning and rookie Fs (plus Kurker) that should be able to pick up the slack.

The only thing that surprises me is that he's transferring instead of turning pro. If my math is correct (and he has to sit out a year) he'll be 24 before he can lace 'em up for anyone else. In the college hockey world, that's old enough to apply for Social Security.
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                        True enough (sigh). But I don't see Szmatula's leaving as a show-stopper. The big question marks continue to be on defense and in goal. Forwards? Not so much. There are enough returning and rookie Fs (plus Kurker) that should be able to pick up the slack.
                        This I agree with. Gaudette was already penciled in on the RW2 slot. He is a center in Juniors, and likely will slide over to that role now. So now there is a winger position up for grabs. With the money freed up by Szmatula leaving, Griffin will be accelerated to come in a year early (JM referenced money being freed by Belonger- while this may be true, not way RB got enough to bring in a kid like Griffin. It is Szmatula leaving that allows it to happen.). I expect Griffin/Sikura/Collier/Cotton to duke it out for that RW2 slot, and I gotta say, ZAR/Gaudette/Sikura is a line I could get used to.
                        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                          This I agree with. Gaudette was already penciled in on the RW2 slot. He is a center in Juniors, and likely will slide over to that role now. So now there is a winger position up for grabs. With the money freed up by Szmatula leaving, Griffin will be accelerated to come in a year early (JM referenced money being freed by Belonger- while this may be true, not way RB got enough to bring in a kid like Griffin. It is Szmatula leaving that allows it to happen.). I expect Griffin/Sikura/Collier/Cotton to duke it out for that RW2 slot, and I gotta say, ZAR/Gaudette/Sikura is a line I could get used to.
                          Belonger's scholarship was backend loaded as was Gunn's. Between the two, there was enough $ freed up to bring in Kurker and Griffin (at least on a partial in his first year). Initially, I would expect the coaches to try Kurker at RW with ZAR and Gaudette. The first line will return intact. Sikura will be RW with the Stevens Bros. Beyond that - who knows? Hopefully these guys will have the experience and ability to keep the puck out of our zone and in the opponent's.

Comment

I'm less worried about losing our 2nd line center than I am about losing our two top PK forwards (19 and 8) from a team that had an awful PK. It could easily be 70-75% next year.

Edit: I didn't realize it was all the way down to 73% by the end of year. 70-75 for next year might be generous.
                            Last edited by Thiessen'sBetter; 06-13-2015, 09:30 PM.
                            2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                            2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                              I'm less worried about losing our 2nd line center than I am about losing our two top PK forwards (19 and 8) from a team that had an awful PK. It could easily be 70-75% next year.

Edit: I didn't realize it was all the way down to 73% by the end of year. 70-75 for next year might be generous.
                              Apparently they weren't too good at killing penalties. Not having them on the kill is something we'll survive. To be sure, improving the PK will be emphasized big time. While we know the scoring stats of the incoming class, we can only hope that their skills extend to killing penalties as well as drawing them.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                                Apparently they weren't too good at killing penalties. Not having them on the kill is something we'll survive. To be sure, improving the PK will be emphasized big time. While we know the scoring stats of the incoming class, we can only hope that their skills extend to killing penalties as well as drawing them.
                                The point was they were better than what we have coming back. I hope JM brought in some quality PKers but based on his track record, I'm skeptical. What good defensive forwards has he brought in? He was handed Pimm, McLaughlin and Reid. He did bring in Szmats and (kinda) Sap, but that's basically it. I trust he can recruit offensive skill but I don't think he can recruit or teach the defensive side of the game.
                                2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                                2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                                X