Michigan Tech-Northern Michigan...the UP's (un)Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Tech-Northern Michigan...the UP's (un)Civil War

Both teams can't get their external goal for the weekend. If Tech wins the MacNaughton, NMU goes on the road in the playoffs. If the Wildcats get home ice, that means the Huskies finished 2nd.

But when they're on the ice against each other, all that gets thrown out the window.

Friday in Houghton, Saturday in Marquette, both 7:07 puck drop. If you're in the UP, you can watch both games (including a half-hour pregame on Saturday) on FoxUP.

Re: Michigan Tech-Northern Michigan...the UP's (un)Civil War

I can't help but think that the 3 points that the Huskies surrendered to NMU in January will end up being the difference in the MacNaughton Cup race. Discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
      I can't help but think that the 3 points that the Huskies surrendered to NMU in January will end up being the difference in the MacNaughton Cup race. Discuss.
      Throw the records out when these two rivals faceoff. One has to wonder if this will be Walt's last stand against the Huskies? Will Karr be looking to make a change and start fresh this offseason? In any case, hoping for a Huskies sweep to gain momentum going into the playoffs.
      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Is MTU opening up any tickets or is the place legitly near sold? We need 4 together and by the looks of it our only option is standing room. Just found out we were going today. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by NMU Fan View Post
          Is MTU opening up any tickets or is the place legitly near sold? We need 4 together and by the looks of it our only option is standing room. Just found out we were going today. Yikes.
          You can always try calling the ticket office, but I've found the website to be pretty accurate.
          MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

I really wish I could make it for this series... These games finally mean something other than bragging rights... Should be a fun, yet nerve wracking weekend weekend...
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
              You can always try calling the ticket office, but I've found the website to be pretty accurate.
              Did that. The seating chart is indeed accurate. We went with standing room. Hey as long as we're in the arena. We could be in the janitors closet for all I care this series is too big to miss!

Comment

Got my tickets for Saturday.
                NMU site shows "Limited" availability......whatever that means. I was able to get pretty good seats behind the Tech bench.

Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                  Don't deserve to win it when you earn one of eight points against the team you're fighting for the top spot.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    Don't deserve to win it when you earn one of eight points against the team you're fighting for the top spot.
                    That's entirely accurate. But in a league with an unbalanced schedule, you have to be able to capitalize on those advantages that pop up.

Comment

Will Gilles and Eick see playing time, and what about Davis.
                      Second is it senior night in Marquette on saturday?
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        Yes, it is senior night. NMU will hold their senior ceremonies in the pregame on Saturday, unlike Tech who waits until after the Friday night game.

Comment

Saturday will be the first game I've been at in over 2 years and it's the cornerstone of my bachelor party. Looking forward to a "spirited" affair.
                          Thinking that NMU is way better then your school with no evidence or proof since 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            I predict we'll see Eick as Mel wants to get him back in the lineup for the tourney runs. We've missed his speed. I'll be shocked if we don't also see Jimmy. Mel's not going to redshirt him so he will get a fitting senior send-off. I think Jimmy can hold his own against NMU and Mel's always been pretty fond of him....being his first MTU recruit, coming direct from high school and all. I doubt we'll see Gillies unless he puts on a clinic in practice this week. He needs to bump someone to make the lineup.
                            Last edited by UpNorthHockey; 03-04-2015, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                              I'll be shocked if we don't also see Jimmy.
                              I hope he at least plays Friday, if not both games. Jimmy playing Saturday might hinge on how Mankato does Friday night. If Mankato wins on Friday, Saturday is a much less important game to Tech other than the NCAA picture. I hope he plays Friday and the crowd gives him a standing-O. The kid played 18 games total in his first two years and then ONE last year and none so far this year. Yet he has put in the same time as the guys who get the spotlight every Friday and Saturday night. It takes a lot of personal drive to keep going when you know you likely won't see game time. Its good for a program to have someone like him on the roster. It keeps everyone motivated because you don't want to get outworked by someone like him.
                              Ryan J
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                              X