PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota @ Ohio State: 3/7 & 3/8

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Driftryder
03-02-2015, 07:47 AM
Minnesota travels to play Ohio State this weekend, Friday's game is at 4pm central and is on ESPNU. Saturday's game is at 5pm central and is on ESPN news. Ohio State is coming off a sweep at home against Penn State, Minnesota split with Michigan State at Mariucci.

Go

gopher wes
03-02-2015, 08:12 AM
Ok, I'm not one to complain about start times, what night games are played on, etc......but 4pm start on a Friday is too early. I have to hope the DVR works and I can avoid social media until I get home around 5.

Pretty much every game from here on out for the Gophers is a must win, that goes without saying....

captain beefheart
03-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Ok, I'm not one to complain about start times, what night games are played on, etc......but 4pm start on a Friday is too early. I have to hope the DVR works and I can avoid social media until I get home around 5.

Pretty much every game from here on out for the Gophers is a must win, that goes without saying....

If you're not a 15 year old girl this shouldn't be a problem...:rolleyes:

gopher wes
03-02-2015, 09:22 AM
If you're not a 15 year old girl this shouldn't be a problem...:rolleyes:
Trying to decide how to and/or if I should respond to this.....

SanTropez
03-02-2015, 09:38 AM
5 o clock on a friday in columbus, should be a huge crowd on hand. It will probably feel like playing in a regional.

captain beefheart
03-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Trying to decide how to and/or if I should respond to this.....

You just did.....and wonderfully, I might add.

SanTropez
03-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Since we are at the end of our 2nd season of playing in the B1G, here are my rankings on who I like to watch play and some notes about the teams and what's good and bad about watching the Gophers play these teams.

1. Michigan - I enjoy these games. At least they try to skate up and down the rink and score goals. They have talent on their squad.

2. Ohio State/Penn State - Penn State has a nice arena and energetic fans, team is getting better on the rink but still meh, they like to trap some too. Ohio State has crappy fan support and huge empty arena but will try to skate and score goals (they have a couple of speedy guys) they don't seem to sit back like MSU and becky does.
3. Michigan State - trap, pack it in around the net, block tons of shots. pretty boring, at least they don't wear red jerseys.
4. Becky- The most boring of all the B1G teams (probably the whole country too) to watch, their arena is now half full and they just suck in general. Their players don't know what the offensive blue line is (minus Besse, because he is a MN HS product)

In closing, the B1G mostly sucks to watch and play against, most opposing fans don't care about their team and it is clutch and grab trap hockey.

Bring back the old WCHA! :)

ScoobyDoo
03-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Minnesota must crush the next (4) games. No excuses, no letdowns, no nothing. Win the next (4).

Tiggsy
03-02-2015, 03:52 PM

OSU has enough trouble getting fans to the game. This ultra early time definitely won't help them.

4. Becky- The most boring of all the B1G teams (probably the whole country too) to watch, their arena is now half full and they just suck in general. Their players don't know what the offensive blue line is (minus Besse, because he is a MN HS product)

Pretty generous to call becky's rink half full. They've got a big place so half full would be a decent crowd for most teams.

gopher wes
03-02-2015, 04:05 PM
OSU has enough trouble getting fans to the game. This ultra early time definitely won't help them.
I'm a 15 year old girl, apparently, so it sucks for me.

5mn_Major
03-02-2015, 10:27 PM
Since we are at the end of our 2nd season of playing in the B1G, here are my rankings on who I like to watch play and some notes about the teams and what's good and bad about watching the Gophers play these teams.

1. Michigan - I enjoy these games. At least they try to skate up and down the rink and score goals. They have talent on their squad.

2. Ohio State/Penn State - Penn State has a nice arena and energetic fans, team is getting better on the rink but still meh, they like to trap some too. Ohio State has crappy fan support and huge empty arena but will try to skate and score goals (they have a couple of speedy guys) they don't seem to sit back like MSU and becky does.
3. Michigan State - trap, pack it in around the net, block tons of shots. pretty boring, at least they don't wear red jerseys.

In closing, the B1G mostly sucks to watch and play against, most opposing fans don't care about their team and it is clutch and grab trap hockey.

Bring back the old WCHA! :)

Knowing the bruser style of some sports that the B1G plays. I wouldn't be surprised to see OSU slowly figure out what UW and MSU are doing while seeing their success and adapt their play. And if PSU can't stay competitive...they could even follow suit.

Slap Shot
03-03-2015, 03:37 AM
When I was still in MN I dIdn't find it difficult to avoid Twitter/Facebook/GPL/USCHO/score apps for a few hours until I got home and fired up the DVR. I can't remember the last time I heard the score of a game I was trying to avoid for just a little bit. :)

Tiggsy
03-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Knowing the bruser style of some sports that the B1G plays. I wouldn't be surprised to see OSU slowly figure out what UW and MSU are doing while seeing their success and adapt their play. And if PSU can't stay competitive...they could even follow suit.

You think they want to adapt to get to UW's level of success? Um... okay.

:cool:

SanTropez
03-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Maybe they will change to the famous 0-0-5 forecheck that becky loves to use.

IronMonkee
03-03-2015, 02:45 PM
5 o clock on a friday in columbus, should be a huge crowd on hand. It will probably feel like playing in a regional.

Huge crowd and regional tend not to go together...

Bonin21
03-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Huge crowd and regional tend not to go together...
^ ^ ^ Missed the joke.

IronMonkee
03-03-2015, 03:14 PM
^ ^ ^ Missed the joke.

I'm not going to pretend that's unusual. :o

Koho
03-03-2015, 04:37 PM
When I was still in MN I dIdn't find it difficult to avoid Twitter/Facebook/GPL/USCHO/score apps for a few hours until I got home and fired up the DVR. I can't remember the last time I heard the score of a game I was trying to avoid for just a little bit. :)

I live in a town where hockey is king, so most of the small talk is about the latest game (Wild, Gophs, UMD, H.S. etc.) so not easy to avoid scores. Had a few times this year I recorded a game that was on while I was playing, and some pri-ck had to check his smartphone and announce the score in the locker room. Both days this weekend, I have conflicts and will be out, so I am hoping not to overhear anything. Of course, the worst I dealt with was a couple times staying at my Dad's where I asked him to record a game, but not tell me the outcome. One time he meets me at the door just beaming. Other time, meets me at the door. Hands me the tape and says 'well, you can watch this if you feel like it' in the same sort of voice you would use to explain to them someone close to them just died.

klbaum1077
03-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Being stuck in 5th place i want the buckeyes to get momentum for Detroit. The early start on Friday is going to keep me from the game i live 2 hours away and cant get there until the end of the 1st period so i will just watch on TV. I was hoping that Lucia would get that wins record last weekend which would have kept the gophers in first place. As far as the standings go this is much more important for Minnesota but like i said i just hope the Buckeyes can keep playing well like they have the last 4 games.

pgb-ohio
03-03-2015, 05:20 PM
I live in a town where hockey is king, so most of the small talk is about the latest game (Wild, Gophs, UMD, H.S. etc.) so not easy to avoid scores. Had a few times this year I recorded a game that was on while I was playing, and some pri-ck had to check his smartphone and announce the score in the locker room. Both days this weekend, I have conflicts and will be out, so I am hoping not to overhear anything. Of course, the worst I dealt with was a couple times staying at my Dad's where I asked him to record a game, but not tell me the outcome. One time he meets me at the door just beaming. Other time, meets me at the door. Hands me the tape and says 'well, you can watch this if you feel like it' in the same sort of voice you would use to explain to them someone close to them just died.Make no apologies, Koho. I totally relate to this.

Before the conference realignment, I used to record non-CCHA games of interest. Gopher & Badger games were at the top of that list. I figured I'd be fine for days, given that local coverage was limited to the CCHA. I can't tell you how many times I had games spoiled by comments, calls and e-mails -- from friends both here and elsewhere. E-mails wouldn't have to be a problem, except the spoiler would appear in the d@#n subject line!

And your Dad isn't the only bad poker player out there. I once had a buddy say: "I won't tell you about the outcome, I'll just say there's something really special about this game." After my team had taken an early lead, I watched the rest of regulation time in misery -- knowing full well we were going to overtime.

People have gotten better about this over the years, but still...

Then there's Buckeye Football. Unless you're in a sensory deprivation chamber, forget it. Time shifting is impossible. No words need to be exchanged. You can tell by people's body language how the game turned out. Extra bounce in the step vs. slumped over shoulders.