WCHA Playoffs 2015: MacNaughton Quest Determined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA Playoffs 2015: MacNaughton Quest Determined

Come on Bulldogs. Not that I have anything against Lake State, but I want the pleasure of knocking UAA out tonight.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

I struck again
      BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
        Nice! Pierce smiling for the photo just makes it that much better

Comment

So going into tonight we have for the playoffs:

Mankato/Tech hosting Lake/Huntsville
          Bowling Green hosting Northern/Ferris
          Bemidji hosting Northern/Ferris

Still some drama tonight!
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

http://blog.wchaplayoffs.com/2015/03...yoff-branches/ — that'll give you a guide to what happens in all 81 scenarios. (UAF-UAA only matters in terms of the Governors Cup.)

My gut feeling is 1-MSU, 2-MTU, 3-BGSU, 4-BSU, 5-NMU, 6-FSU, 7-UAH, 8-LSSU. I am prepared to be wrong. I know that the top two seeds want the McNaughton and that BG wants to stay up in the PWR, but honestly, it doesn't matter if UAH or LSSU is 7th or 8th. They're going to be speed bumps.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

NMU Hockey: #TankForTootsieRolls
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Who wins the tie breaker should NMU and FSU tie?

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                  Who wins the tie breaker should NMU and FSU tie?
                  Looks like FSU gets the tiebreaker:
                  Northern Michigan gets the #5 seed anytime then win and anytime Ferris State loses. If Northern loses and Ferris wins, the Wildcats are 6th. If both teams tie on the night, Northern Michigan is 5th. If Ferris and Northern go to a tiebreaker — Ferris win + Northern tie, Ferris tie + Northern loss, etc. — Northern Michigan is 6th. The Wildcats get the 5th seed in 54 of 81 possible scenarios.
                  Ferris State gets the 5th seed only when it wins and Northern Michigan doesn’t win or when it ties and Northern Michigan loses (27 of 81 possible scenarios). Otherwise, the Bulldogs end up in 6th.
                  **EDIT** And the reasoning behind that is this:
                  http://www.wcha.com/men/standings.php
                  B) If two or more teams are still tied (or all tied teams have not played four contests against one another), then the team with the greater number of conference wins will be granted the higher seed.
                  C) If two or more teams are still tied (and A) above is not applicable due to an unbalanced home and away schedule amongst one another), then the team with the highest winning percentage in all head-to-head contests among the tied teams will be granted the higher seed.
                  D) If not determined by A), or B), or C) above, the recipient of the highest seed shall be determined by comparison of the winning percentages of the tied teams, against the remaining highest ranked WCHA team successively, until the determination is accomplished, or all conference contests have been considered. In the event of multiple ties within the standings that become dependent on one another for determination, the procedure shall be applied to the highest tie first, using combined winning percentage against all teams involved in the lower tie(s) and continuing through the order if needed. If this fails to break the highest tie, the procedure shall be applied to the next highest tie (and so on if needed), using combined winning percentage against all tied teams as needed when proceeding through the standings.
                  Last edited by aparch; 03-07-2015, 02:50 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

aparch got it, and the reason why is that Ferris has one more conference (B tiebreaker) win than Northern and would still in any scenario where the teams are tied. Head-to-head only applies if you play four games during the season (A tiebreaker).

The relevant tiebreakers:
                    · MSU over MTU based on A tiebreaker (3-0-1 v. the Huskies)
                    · FSU over NMU based on B tiebreaker (teams didn't play four times, FSU has more conference wins)
                    · UAH over LSSU based on A tiebreaker (Chargers were 2-1-1).

Man, I forgot how nuts last year was: we only knew #3 (UAF) and #10 (UAH) going into Saturday night. LSSU could have finished as high as 6th or missed the playoffs (which they did), as could NMU. I'm really glad that I had to consider only four games this year, because solving 81 combinations is much simpler than 243.

GFM
                    Last edited by gfmorris; 03-07-2015, 03:05 PM.
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      Looks like FSU gets the tiebreaker:

**EDIT** And the reasoning behind that is this:
                      http://www.wcha.com/men/standings.php
                      Thanks, aparch.

I don't think anyone wants to go to Bemidji. They are hot.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                        Nice! Pierce smiling for the photo just makes it that much better
                        Craig is a good dude, and he handled that pretty well on Twitter.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

I'm glad we're in, if we're a speed bump. I just want us to do our best, get the experience, get ready for 2015-16 and continue to take the next step.

I'd like for UAH to retain 8th place/7th seed so we can at least say we qualified without Alaska's ineligibility. Although, Michigan Tech probably benefits more from Alaska's ineligibility than UAH or Lake Superior. If Alaska wasn't ineligible, Michigan Tech would likely be hosting Ferris State (and CJ Motte) instead of UAH or Lake Superior. I'd still favor Tech, but it certainly would have been more interesting.
                          Michael Napier - UAH '97
                          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                          U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                          NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                          CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                          CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                            I don't think anyone wants to go to Bemidji. They are hot.
                            Hence the #TankForTootsieRolls.

I do want the 'Cats to win though. A win against a top team in the PWR would do well for their attitude.

On the flip side, there are years and years of history of BGSU eliminating the 'Cats from the CCHA tournament and causing the PWR to fall below the top 16-ish... I would LOVE to put a thumping on BGSU and cause the same heartache.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                              I'm glad we're in, if we're a speed bump. I just want us to do our best, get the experience, get ready for 2015-16 and continue to take the next step.

I'd like for UAH to retain 8th place/7th seed so we can at least say we qualified without Alaska's ineligibility. Although, Michigan Tech probably benefits more from Alaska's ineligibility than UAH or Lake Superior. If Alaska wasn't ineligible, Michigan Tech would likely be hosting Ferris State (and CJ Motte) instead of UAH or Lake Superior. I'd still favor Tech, but it certainly would have been more interesting.
                              Not if Tech gets the 1 seed tonight...
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                Hence the #TankForTootsieRolls.

I do want the 'Cats to win though. A win against a top team in the PWR would do well for their attitude.

On the flip side, there are years and years of history of BGSU eliminating the 'Cats from the CCHA tournament and causing the PWR to fall below the top 16-ish... I would LOVE to put a thumping on BGSU and cause the same heartache.
                                To even suggest tanking is pretty ridiculous.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X