WCHA Playoffs 2015: MacNaughton Quest Determined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Playoffs 2015: MacNaughton Quest Determined

So, is the concept here to go with a 6 team "Final 5", and the bottom 4 teams don't make the playoffs, with no opening round?

If this is the plan, it may work ok...if it is in the correct size venue. You get 6 fanbases instead of 4, and try to make it an event that can be planned for a little further in advance than 5 days. There are some advantages to this idea, its just that no one should go into it thinking that this would bring it back to what it was 5 years ago. This would be perfect in a Resch Center sized venue.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

If this is going to come down to being a money decision, there is no reason for the top teams to give up 2 or 3 home games. They'll make way more money staying home, enjoying home ice, getting two more wins to bolster their records, etc. In the case of Tech, a VERY conservative estimate would say they got an extra $60k for their budget by hosting two playoff games 3,000 per game * $10/person * 2 games.

I can't see the WCHA skipping the first round. The Bi6 does it only because they lack teams. There is no reason for the WCHA to do that format. Want to try something unique do the following playoffs:

First weekend everyone is in the playoffs - 10@1, 9@2, 8@3, 7@4, 6@5

Thursday
      5th best series winner vs highest seed that lost in the first round
      Sort of a last chance qualifier type opportunity if one or more higher seeds gets bounced in the first round
      4th best series winner vs 3rd best series winner
      Maybe you would swap #4 and #5 if my proposal would result in a rematch of the previous weekend. For example if #6 beat #5 in the first round, that would result in the the same two teams playing again on Thursday and you don't need the same two teams playing 3 or 4 times in about a week's time.

Friday - reseed
      Lowest remaining team vs #1
      2nd lowest remaining team vs #2

Saturday
      Loser vs loser
      Winner vs winner

Ryan J
      Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 03-16-2015, 09:09 AM.
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Was a five teams, five games. The fifth played the fourth in a play in game on Thursday. Two semi games on Friday and the Championship and third place game on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          If this is going to come down to being a money decision, there is no reason for the top teams to give up 2 or 3 home games. They'll make way more money staying home, enjoying home ice, getting two more wins to bolster their records, etc. In the case of Tech, a VERY conservative estimate would say they got an extra $60k for their budget by hosting two playoff games 3,000 per game * $10/person * 2 games.
          The league gets all ticket revenue for the first round of the playoffs.
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

It will be interesting to see what kind of attendance WCHA gets with NCHC tournament just down the road. No times for their semi-finals yet but I would believe similar time frames Friday. If St. Cloud makes thier final that would draw a lot of the local fan base that way I would think.

Comment

The main reason to kill the first round is to save the first round travel costs for the lower seeds. This ameliorates your Alaska travel problem. Also, since you'd be doing it with a week's gap (i.e., the Final Five would still be this weekend with no games last weekend), there is time for drumming up fan support, etc., for six fanbases. If in some amazing, magical universe UAH had beaten Tech this weekend, Huntsville people would be scrambling today to come up with travel plans for four days from now, paying for last-minute flights, etc. The three schools far away from the X (or GR) do face this problem (and so do FSU and LSSU with the games so far away).

I still think that the Final Five should be in Huntsville. It'll be 75ºF and sunny today; it'll be rainy on Thursday, but it's still in the high 50's or low 60's ºF.

And then there's my play-in idea from last season, which would've worked like this (in a world where Alaska was playoff-eligible):

#1 Minnesota State v. their pick of #7 Northern Michigan & #10 Alaska-Anchorage or #8 Alabama-Huntsville & #9 Lake Superior
              #2 Michigan Tech v. the alternate side of what Mankato doesn't take
              #3 Bowling Green v. #6 Ferris State
              #4 Alaska v. #5 Bemidji State

The 7-10 and 8-9 games would soften up those lower seeds for the top seeds. I'm going to bet that, given the quality difference between Northern and UAH/Lake, the Mavericks would've taken that 8-9 pairing in a heartbeat.

I really do like that just eight teams make it into the WCHA playoffs, but if you wanted to do ten and not carry something like a 4/5 into the X or the Van Andel, this is a way to do it. The negative, of course, is that you're paying for six teams to travel instead of four on that first weekend. (I heard from one of UAH's player's girlfriends that the Chargers won't be traveling back until today because of how the league pre-arranged travel here at the last second.)

GFM <— always with the crazy ideas
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                It will be interesting to see what kind of attendance WCHA gets with NCHC tournament just down the road. No times for their semi-finals yet but I would believe similar time frames Friday. If St. Cloud makes thier final that would draw a lot of the local fan base that way I would think.
                I don't think there are many cross-over fans. The lines have been drawn, I'd think.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  The main reason to kill the first round is to save the first round travel costs for the lower seeds. This ameliorates your Alaska travel problem. Also, since you'd be doing it with a week's gap (i.e., the Final Five would still be this weekend with no games last weekend), there is time for drumming up fan support, etc., for six fanbases. If in some amazing, magical universe UAH had beaten Tech this weekend, Huntsville people would be scrambling today to come up with travel plans for four days from now, paying for last-minute flights, etc. The three schools far away from the X (or GR) do face this problem (and so do FSU and LSSU with the games so far away).

I still think that the Final Five should be in Huntsville. It'll be 75ºF and sunny today; it'll be rainy on Thursday, but it's still in the high 50's or low 60's ºF.

And then there's my play-in idea from last season, which would've worked like this (in a world where Alaska was playoff-eligible):

#1 Minnesota State v. their pick of #7 Northern Michigan & #10 Alaska-Anchorage or #8 Alabama-Huntsville & #9 Lake Superior
                  #2 Michigan Tech v. the alternate side of what Mankato doesn't take
                  #3 Bowling Green v. #6 Ferris State
                  #4 Alaska v. #5 Bemidji State

The 7-10 and 8-9 games would soften up those lower seeds for the top seeds. I'm going to bet that, given the quality difference between Northern and UAH/Lake, the Mavericks would've taken that 8-9 pairing in a heartbeat.

I really do like that just eight teams make it into the WCHA playoffs, but if you wanted to do ten and not carry something like a 4/5 into the X or the Van Andel, this is a way to do it. The negative, of course, is that you're paying for six teams to travel instead of four on that first weekend. (I heard from one of UAH's player's girlfriends that the Chargers won't be traveling back until today because of how the league pre-arranged travel here at the last second.)

GFM <— always with the crazy ideas
                  Travel arrangements are made to facilitate a 3 game opening round series. But a team can depart Saturday night or Sunday morning if it loses twice. NMU left Bowling Green Saturday Night. Now if there is a flight involved, that is set in stone for a 3 game series. Hard to switch 25-30 plane seats at the last second. Did UAH Bus to Tech or fly? Or maybe fly to Green Bay and bus to Houghton?
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    Travel arrangements are made to facilitate a 3 game opening round series. But a team can depart Saturday night or Sunday morning if it loses twice. NMU left Bowling Green Saturday Night. Now if there is a flight involved, that is set in stone for a 3 game series. Hard to switch 25-30 plane seats at the last second. Did UAH Bus to Tech or fly? Or maybe fly to Green Bay and bus to Houghton?
                    Since they staying in Houghton so long, I'm sure they flew. Why else wouldn't they get a head start on a long bus riride? They had been there long enough that there shouldn't be any issue with rest for drivers.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The WCHA flew the Chargers to Houghton, although I'm not sure how. Would you fly a full hockey into Green Bay? They flew commercial, so they didn't fly out of HSV (good luck getting even 15-seat chunks from here to ATL, even on Thursday out). I expect that we were bus-fly-bus.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

First weekend everyone is in the playoffs - 10@1, 9@2, 8@3, 7@4, 6@5

Thursday
                        5th best series winner vs highest seed that lost in the first round
                        Sort of a last chance qualifier type opportunity if one or more higher seeds gets bounced in the first round
                        4th best series winner vs 3rd best series winner
                        Maybe you would swap #4 and #5 if my proposal would result in a rematch of the previous weekend. For example if #6 beat #5 in the first round, that would result in the the same two teams playing again on Thursday and you don't need the same two teams playing 3 or 4 times in about a week's time.

Friday - reseed
                        Lowest remaining team vs #1
                        2nd lowest remaining team vs #2

Saturday
                        Loser vs loser
                        Winner vs winner

Ryan J
                        Please say NO to drugs.
                        This is the stupidest idea ever.
                        WCHA will probably adopt it next year.
                        Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Surprise NHL Stars
                          Monday, March 16, 2015
                          Two of the NHL's best stories belong to undrafted free agent goalies from Bowling Green and Alabama-Huntsville.
                          - See more at: http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles....VphKqhJd.dpuf

Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

let's all go to Huntsville. what WCHA team (and its fans) wouldn't want 60's and sunny? the UP teams would take 40 and rain and still be happy.
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                              let's all go to Huntsville. what WCHA team (and its fans) wouldn't want 60's and sunny? the UP teams would take 40 and rain and still be happy.
                              Plus, they get to play in the only ice arena in the country to be named after a Nazi.
                              Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                                Plus, they get to play in the only ice arena in the country to be named after a Nazi.
                                Not true. Don't forget Engelstad(t).

Comment

Working...
                                X