8:37 Minnesota State vs Ferris State
    Looks like good hockey next week!
    Will the chalk hold?
    GO DU !!!

Comment

• Re: WCHA Playoffs 2015: MacNaughton Quest Determined

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
      "Big 14, and Still Looking" is taken?
      Big twelve was...before they added Maryland and Rutgers.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        The same reason it's still the big ten, name recognition and the other name is taken...
        The WCHA Final Four is already taken? It's not like the Final Five brand recognition is even in the same galaxy as the Big Ten. Changing the name to the correct number of teams would make absolutely no difference in their marketing. Especially to the average fan in Grand Rapids who has never heard of the Final Five. Only 25% of the teams are left from when they still had 5 teams playing at this stage of the conference tournament. Hell, there's more CCHA teams in the league now than original WCHA teams. Why not call it the Super Six? That's got the same level of name recognition as the Final Five.
        Beat em' Beat em' MTU!!!
        Northern Sucks

Comment

Originally posted by TECHFAN View Post
          The WCHA Final Four is already taken? It's not like the Final Five brand recognition is even in the same galaxy as the Big Ten. Changing the name to the correct number of teams would make absolutely no difference in their marketing. Especially to the average fan in Grand Rapids who has never heard of the Final Five. Only 25% of the teams are left from when they still had 5 teams playing at this stage of the conference tournament. Hell, there's more CCHA teams in the league now than original WCHA teams. Why not call it the Super Six? That's got the same level of name recognition as the Final Five.
          I think you underestimate how huge the Final 5 was in its heyday. If they can evoke any kind of memory of the "glory days" then it is a positive for the league
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

For those WCHA fans that will be attending the tailgate party, I made eggs. There is only a dozen so it will be first come first serve.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by BGFan View Post
              Kevin Gordon is far from God, but he was right. We were lucky that nobody was hurt. I understand the frustration but it was getting brutal with some obvious intents to injure. To their credit, after the game Walt Kyle and several upper class-men apologized to Bergeron.
              Apologized after the game? I guess that's something. how about showing some discipline during the game. Hopefully the BG players held their cool knowing the final five was coming up. Tech had a DQ for this weekend from the NMU game after from what I could tell he got tired of the constant cheap shots. I just assumed it was the Tech-NMU rivalry. I didn't realize the NMU players had gone off the rail.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                I think you underestimate how huge the Final 5 was in its heyday. If they can evoke any kind of memory of the "glory days" then it is a positive for the league
                This. For the F5, I always made sure I had those days off from work. It got to the point where others wouldn't even bother trying for those days, since they knew I'd get them. People actually made vacation plans around the F5, if they were coming in from out of town. On a personal note, an old poster from here (Joe Yerdon of NHL dot com and NBC Pro Hockey Talk) made his first trip to MN just to see what all the hype was about and he left duly impressed.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by TECHFAN View Post
                  I have to agree. While the WCHA has a rich heritage, the commish has to recognize it's a new era for the league. Hanging on to a name that means little to many in the league doesn't make much sense. Do we really think that if you told someone you were going to the WCHA tournament, they would look at you with a blank stare, but there eyes would light up in recognition if you said you were going tot he Final Five?

And in all honesty... The Final Five name brings back memories of many teams that are no longer in the picture. If someone went to the tournament simply for the Final Five name recognition, they'd probably be pretty surprised to see there weren't any Gophers, Sioux, Badgers, Pioneers, SCSU Huskies, etc. in the tournament. If you don't know by now that the WCHA has a new make-up, you're probably not too big a hockey fan.

We have a new league, new rivalries, new teams moving into (back into) national prominence. Let's ditch a name that focuses on the past and has no significance to the current tournament format.

Comment

The Final Five name was kept because the old WCHA regime was incompetent and just plain lazy. There wasn't time for the new regime to come in and completely rebrand everything this summer, and it probably isn't worth the cost of rebranding the tournament when this current set-up is likely just a temporary thing anyway.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                      Game times now set for Final
                      Five.

5:07 Michigan Tech vs Bowling Green
                      8:37 Minnesota State vs Ferris State
                      C'mon now you know better than to list your own personal time zone rather than the host site's time zone!
                      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                        Apologized after the game? I guess that's something. how about showing some discipline during the game. Hopefully the BG players held their cool knowing the final five was coming up. Tech had a DQ for this weekend from the NMU game after from what I could tell he got tired of the constant cheap shots. I just assumed it was the Tech-NMU rivalry. I didn't realize the NMU players had gone off the rail.
                        Obviously you missed the game Oldtimer. The first, and most ridiculous cheap shot came when Johnstone ran an NMU player squarely into the boards and the area where the glass attaches to boards at the Tech bench.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                          Looks like good hockey next week!
                          Will the chalk hold?
                          Chalk has been erased. Ferris was the 5 seed and beat #4 Bemidji.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            Obviously you missed the game Oldtimer. The first, and most ridiculous cheap shot came when Johnstone ran an NMU player squarely into the boards and the area where the glass attaches to boards at the Tech bench.
                            Johnstone's hit was ugly, but the general thought was it was precipitated by the face masking major on Urban.
                            Johnstone has been a constant target this season, and has received majors against NMU and Bemidji after taking a lot of abuse. He may have a shorter fuse due to missing time with injury and opponents taking liberties.

Comment

I thought the Final Five / Frozen Five name was retained because a team had to win five games for the trophy. (theoretically, at least)

Geof, we are just down the hall in the hotel from several and no noise at all. ran into them having dinner tonight at The Library, we congratulated them on well played games and they were very polite. nice guys.
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                                I thought the Final Five / Frozen Five name was retained because a team had to win five games for the trophy. (theoretically, at least)

Geof, we are just down the hall in the hotel from several and no noise at all. ran into them having dinner tonight at The Library, we congratulated them on well played games and they were very polite. nice guys.
                                It only takes four wins for the Broadmoor. Former Commissioner McLeod told me the name was simply retained for brand purposes. I even made the Big 10 comparison and he said it was the same principle.

Congrats to the Huskies on the trip to St Paul. Good luck to all teams!

Comment

Working...
                                X