PDA

View Full Version : Boston Hotel Rooms

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Sherri B
02-26-2015, 09:52 PM
Looking for rooms in Boston...College Hockey Fanatics have rooms available at the Marriott Long Wharf for $269.00 + tax per room, up to 4 people per room. Contact rooms@collegehockeyfanatics.org for more info.

mookie1995
02-26-2015, 09:59 PM
Mookie is guessing those ain't 4 double bed rooms!!

stuckinwi
02-26-2015, 11:13 PM
Boston hotel prices made me spit out my coffee when looking when my wife and I were there in October...

Patman
02-27-2015, 12:34 AM
Boston hotel prices made me spit out my coffee when looking when my wife and I were there in October...

no kidding, I was back home for a conference... thank god work picked up the tab.

Priceless
02-27-2015, 08:43 AM

Even my usual go-to hotel just off the Lechmere stop has jacked up prices. Try hotels outside the city. For the Hockey East Tournament I have taken the Commuter Rail and stayed in Lowell. The MBTA also services Providence and Worcester and lots of smaller cities in between. If you have a car you have more freedom, but have fun parking!

Having checked prices for Boston hotels on a regular basis, the deal Sherri has is awesome - especially for downtown.

Crimson on the Glass
02-27-2015, 09:17 AM
Try hotels outside the city. For the Hockey East Tournament I have taken the Commuter Rail and stayed in Lowell. The MBTA also services Providence and Worcester and lots of smaller cities in between. If you have a car you have more freedom, but have fun parking!
I might suggest a little caution in depending absolutely on MBTA service these days. Have a back-up plan, at least.

Tater
02-27-2015, 09:17 AM
Boston is one of the tightest markets in the country for hotel rooms. No new hotels with sizable inventory have opened since the recession started.

walrus655321
02-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Boston is one of the tightest markets in the country for hotel rooms. No new hotels with sizable inventory have opened since the recession started.

But we're gonna get the Olympics!

Yuppie Scum
02-27-2015, 10:54 AM
I might suggest a little caution in depending absolutely on MBTA service these days. Have a back-up plan, at least.

The rapid transit system should be fine by April.

Scarlet
02-27-2015, 11:22 AM
The rapid transit system should be back to its normal regular sucky service as opposed to the winter weather super sucky service by April.

fyp

The Freds
02-27-2015, 12:29 PM
fyp

Heck, I was I Boston this week. You folks will have snow until July.

satyking
02-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Look in Providence and use the train

Priceless
02-27-2015, 02:47 PM

The cool thing about staying in Providence is you have two shots at the train - MBTA and Amtrak - so you can pick a time that works for you. Just be careful not to take the Acela because that's three times as expensive and will save you a whole minute.

Scarlet
02-27-2015, 03:00 PM

Why in the world would you want to do that? People going to the game would have to leave before it's over to get to South Station or Back Bay. And honesly, I'm not sure the commuter rail will be fully functional by then. If you're going to book outside the city, there are more than enough hotels on the T one can find. And if you must take the train, find a room in a city near a station that gets you into North Station. Look in Woburn - there are a few hotels close to the Anderson RTC that have shuttles to the train station.

Hotel rooms in Boston are expensive in October due to a number of events - Head of the Charles, homecomings, etc. - plus people headed this way for leaf peeping.

walrus655321
02-27-2015, 03:07 PM
I've said this on other threads, but I would NOT rely on the Commuter Rail. The Commuter Rail is, as its name would imply, for commuters, so there is not a ton of late night service. Also, the Providence line leaves from South Station, not North Station, which is a good 20 minute walk away. So if any games go overtime you are going to find yourself choosing between a very expensive cab ride or leaving the game early.

The last train Thursday leaves at 11:59 PM, which means you have to leave the Garden around 11:30 PM. If the start times are what they are for Hockey East Championships (5 PM for the early game, 45 minutes after the end of the first game so ~8:15 PM) you will be out of the Garden by 10:45 PM at best. Throw in an OT and you're cutting it close. A full OT period and you're in trouble.

The last train Saturday is at 11:10 PM, so you'll need to be out of the building by 10:45 PM. Start time is 7:30, do the math.

walrus655321
02-27-2015, 03:12 PM
And if you must take the train, find a room in a city near a station that gets you into North Station. Look in Woburn - there are a few hotels close to the Anderson RTC that have shuttles to the train station.

This is also key. But again, check the commuter rail schedule...it doesn't run that late. Overtimes will be a problem.

At the very least, be close enough that you can get a cab back to your hotel for $30-40. The Newton Crowne Plaza is right off the Mass Pike, that would probably be a $25 cab ride.

Hoover
02-27-2015, 03:59 PM
And if you must take the train, find a room in a city near a station that gets you into North Station. Look in Woburn - there are a few hotels close to the Anderson RTC that have shuttles to the train station.

Now that we're getting closer to the Frozen Four I'm seeing some helpful info regarding hotels/travel around the Boston area. Like many others, I started looking into hotels last May/June and was surprised at the prices for rooms in Boston. I eventually decided to book at a hotel in Woburn, close to Anderson Station. My concern is (which has been mentioned already in this thread) is the time of the last train out of North Station heading back to Woburn. If either (or both) nights have a lengthy overtime game(s), I'll be facing a choice to either leave a game early (which I almost always refuse to do) or find myself having to look for a cab to get to my hotel.

I'll throw it out here for anyone who can give me some advice - how easy(??) would it be to get a cab after the last game Thursday or after the Saturday game during this type of event? I vividly recall wandering around the sports complex in Philadelphia last April with some other UMaine fans for about an hour, watching cab after cab race by us to pick up other groups. It was frustrating at the time - later we laughed and called it a "memorable experience in Philadelphia!"

Taking all this into consideration, we are driving from the Toronto area for the weekend - why not just drive down from Woburn? Everyone I've talked to who knows Boston and all I've read about driving/parking in Boston says the same thing (and I've never driven there before) - don't bother trying.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

The Freds
02-27-2015, 04:02 PM

Well, I know a whole bunch of poeple from Providence and even they get a hotel in Boston. It's part of the experience!

UML
02-27-2015, 04:34 PM
Now that we're getting closer to the Frozen Four I'm seeing some helpful info regarding hotels/travel around the Boston area. Like many others, I started looking into hotels last May/June and was surprised at the prices for rooms in Boston. I eventually decided to book at a hotel in Woburn, close to Anderson Station. My concern is (which has been mentioned already in this thread) is the time of the last train out of North Station heading back to Woburn. If either (or both) nights have a lengthy overtime game(s), I'll be facing a choice to either leave a game early (which I almost always refuse to do) or find myself having to look for a cab to get to my hotel.

I'll throw it out here for anyone who can give me some advice - how easy(??) would it be to get a cab after the last game Thursday or after the Saturday game during this type of event? I vividly recall wandering around the sports complex in Philadelphia last April with some other UMaine fans for about an hour, watching cab after cab race by us to pick up other groups. It was frustrating at the time - later we laughed and called it a "memorable experience in Philadelphia!"

Taking all this into consideration, we are driving from the Toronto area for the weekend - why not just drive down from Woburn? Everyone I've talked to who knows Boston and all I've read about driving/parking in Boston says the same thing (and I've never driven there before) - don't bother trying.

Any help or advise will be appreciated.
I've never had a problem getting a cab after Bruins/Celtics games.

UML
02-27-2015, 04:40 PM
I'm seeing a bunch of hotels less than 2 miles from the Garden for under $200. That looks pretty reasonable.