2015-2016 Coaching Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015-2016 Coaching Changes

MSU: First two were finalists last year at Bemidji and St Cloud; Schuler was a finalist this year at UMD.

So, do they want an up-in-coming women's coach; experienced men's coach; or an experienced women's coach?

I would vote for Schuler.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
      MSU: First two were finalists last year at Bemidji and St Cloud; Schuler was a finalist this year at UMD.

So, do they want an up-in-coming women's coach; experienced men's coach; or an experienced women's coach?

I would vote for Schuler.
      It's up-and-coming, btw. I'd go with Harrington. They need someone with that type of hockey reputation to get out of the basement and challenge at the top half of the league. I don't believe the other two candidates have the ability to bring that type of turnaround, at least not anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        It's up-and-coming, btw. I'd go with Harrington. They need someone with that type of hockey reputation to get out of the basement and challenge at the top half of the league. I don't believe the other two candidates have the ability to bring that type of turnaround, at least not anytime soon.
        What is it you feel they lack in that area?
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
          What is it you feel they lack in that area?
          His name in hockey simply carries much more weight than theirs and at a program that has such a big hill to climb that is a huge and very important intangible.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            I'm thinking Illinipop missed on the experienced women's coach too

I guess it was nice UMD acted quickly in hiring Megan Cromwell before Mankato did

Comment

I'd go with the former Iron Ranger, too.
              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                His name in hockey simply carries much more weight than theirs and at a program that has such a big hill to climb that is a huge and very important intangible.
                Does John Harrington's name really mean anything to prospective women's college hockey players though? Yeah he was on the 1980 Miracle on Ice roster -- almost 20 years before the next wave of bigtime recruits were born. He did well for himself at SJU, but that doesn't necessarily provide any indication of what he might be able to accomplish in the women's game.

This isn't Harrington's first time being named a finalist for a head coaching job. Obviously he wants to get his hands on a program, but I can't see Mankato as a great fit. I'd put my money on Fryklund.
                Ducks Fly Together

Comment

Originally posted by charlieconway View Post
                  I'd put my money on Fryklund.
                  She would be my second choice.

Comment

Pretty sure if you asked a dozen top quality female high school recruits on either side of the border, not more than 2 would know Harrington's name. I have no idea what he's like as a coach, but "name recognition" isn't the same for us, versus a young female player. His name may or may not mean anything to a prospect...and after his first year in a program, name recognition from 30 years ago won't mean anything at all. How good of a coach would he be for a hockey team composed of young women, not young men? That is the essential question.

Comment

Originally posted by L268 View Post
                      Pretty sure if you asked a dozen top quality female high school recruits on either side of the border, not more than 2 would know Harrington's name. I have no idea what he's like as a coach, but "name recognition" isn't the same for us, versus a young female player. His name may or may not mean anything to a prospect...and after his first year in a program, name recognition from 30 years ago won't mean anything at all. How good of a coach would he be for a hockey team composed of young women, not young men? That is the essential question.
                      Parents of recruits recognize his name and tell their daughters who he is, and his successful coaching history beats the other two finalists by a country mile and that's exactly what Mankato needs, a proven winner.

Comment

Twelve years ago if you had asked a dozen female recruits on either side of the Wisconsin border I doubt more than 2 would have known who Mark Johnson was either. I think Harrington would make a fine coach at Mankato not because he played on the 80 Olympic team, but because of who he is.
                        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                          Twelve years ago if you had asked a dozen female recruits on either side of the Wisconsin border I doubt more than 2 would have known who Mark Johnson was either. I think Harrington would make a fine coach at Mankato not because he played on the 80 Olympic team, but because of who he is.
                          Agree. Mankato needs a proven coach, period. I think this is a no-brainer.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                            Schuler is well known in Canadian hockey circles as a result of her role(s) with Hockey Canada. She could be attractive as a coach for some of the Canadian talent. Battling UM, UMD and Bemidji for Minnesota talent is a struggle. She recruited well for UMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                              Schuler is well known in Canadian hockey circles as a result of her role(s) with Hockey Canada. She could be attractive as a coach for some of the Canadian talent. Battling UM, UMD and Bemidji for Minnesota talent is a struggle. She recruited well for UMD.
                              Great point. MSU is going to need to recruit strongly from outside the state of Minnesota if they're going to progress and compete with the best in the WCHA and elsewhere. Certainly includes Canada.

Considering the competition for the top players in state. Any connections a candidate may have in that regard is not really an intangible...but an imperative for MSU, I think.
                              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                                Great point. MSU is going to need to recruit strongly from outside the state of Minnesota if they're going to progress and compete with the best in the WCHA and elsewhere. Certainly includes Canada.

Considering the competition for the top players in state. Any connections a candidate may have in that regard is not really an intangible...but an imperative for MSU, I think.
                                I don't think that a mid-50's man (and I would agree that most folks will have to be told or reminded that he played on the 1980 Olympic team) who hasn't been coaching women's hockey is the right fit here. Schuler would be my choice off the write-ups.

Comment

Working...
                                X