Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2014-15 Season Thread Part II: It Ain't over!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2014-15 Season Thread Part II: It Ain't over!!

Originally posted by itisibecky View Post
    That being said, what I really want to comment on is the poor behavior by some NU fans on Saturday. When we recognized BU's seniors, there were boo's and "sucks" yelled from the student section. I don't care what kind of chip on your shoulder people at Northeastern have over BU, that kind of behavior is really inappropriate and seriously makes Northeastern as a student section look poor. We already have a reputation for spewing mostly lewd, borderline inappropriate-for-a-setting-in-which-children-and-families-exist chants, let's not also be known as a school with a disrespectful student section.

I was there on Friday at the game at BU, and when they recognized our seniors, they clapped politely and there was even a graphic put up with our husky logo congratulating the seniors. It makes me sad that people don't know how to differentiate between when it's okay to chirp and heckle the other team and when you need to realize that they're all hockey players and people and students who deserve respect. Save the "sucks" for during the game, and when they announce the lineups. Recognizing the seniors is absolutely not the place for that.
    You are absolutely correct in pointing this out. I'd like to think that along with the stringent acceptance requirements we are getting a "classier" type of student - a more respectful and responsible individual. Perhaps we are, but you couldn't tell from their behavior on Saturday night. Perhaps there were other influence on their behavior.

The fellow who delayed the national anthem by bellowing "Roby Must Go" a couple of times, had the correct idea with incorrect timing.Retsap

AFAIK Gunn is a healthy scratch. He and Schecter are the 8th and 9th Ds With Williams and Barry coming in next year, their prospects for more ice time are not sparkling.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
      AFAIK Gunn is a healthy scratch. He and Schecter are the 8th and 9th Ds With Williams and Barry coming in next year, their prospects for more ice time are not sparkling.
      However, with the way the D played this past weekend, their prospect for more ice time this coming weekend should be pretty good.
      Last edited by beanstalk; 03-02-2015, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
        On another note, hope we get back to disciplined play for the playoffs. Its what got us this far. Perhaps some line shakeups?

Let's try for two in a row this wknd & get prepared. Practice hard, play smart! Go Huskies!
        I really don't see any lineup shakeups, other than Rosenthal entering again if healthy, and we lose the 7th D. No sure who that would be...my guess would be Cockerill. DD/Benning and Dax/Sauce have worked well together. Cockerill/Owens would be the last two, but Owens has quietly been one of the best D-men on the team. Process of elimination leads me to Cockerill.

Talking to the RMG fellow, he said he planned that knowing that's when the barn would be quietest. While agree with the message, I agree with HHound. Timing of the proclamation was not the best. Felt real bad for the poor anthem singer, she got so flustered.
        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by beanstalk View Post
          However, with the way the D played this past weekend, their prospect for more ice time this coming weekend should be pretty good.
          I wouldn't shake things up dramatically right as the playoffs begin. Use what got you there. Gunn/Sheks with limited game time, or have the 6-7 dmen work through it? I'd take my chances with the guys that have been there all year. Rather not worry about guys needing to shake off rust trying to stop opposing forwards coming at them.

MC has been one of the worst teams offensively since the calendar flipped. Should be an NU sweep, no questions asked. Tirronen has the ability to steal a game. But their offense has been so non-existent that NU should be able to outwork them.

Tickets for the game have been live for almost 24 hours now. Student tix will be free. Hope to see most of y'all there- first time playoffs are at the barn in 6 months. I can't wait.
          "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
            first time playoffs are at the barn in 6 months. I can't wait.
            Long time to wait.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              Long time to wait.
              We're talking about Husky hockey here.. pretty sure he meant years.
              GO NU HOCKEY
              Always bullish on the future.
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                We're talking about Husky hockey here.. pretty sure he meant years.
                I did. Poor proofreading on my end. Thanks for catching that.
                "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

I really don't see any lineup shakeups, other than Rosenthal entering again if healthy, and we lose the 7th D. No sure who that would be...my guess would be Cockerill. DD/Benning and Dax/Sauce have worked well together. Cockerill/Owens would be the last two, but Owens has quietly been one of the best D-men on the team. Process of elimination leads me to Cockerill.
                  I'd be highly surprised if JM benched Cockerill and played Fennell. Cockerill and Owens have shown steady improvement as the season progressed. Fennell might be the most improved player, but has missed half the season and lacks the offensive skills that we need on the PP. He had earned a starting spot prior to his injury, but Darou seems to have made the most of his chance. The skills of both of these players have shown massive growth over the past two years.

Comment

I have to admit I'm a bit wary going into this weekend. Cause of the wariness: With the exception of the epic Beanpot championship game that was poisoned through no fault of their own, the guys frankly haven't played all that well going back to the first Maine game, where they squandered a huge lead in the third period and were on the ropes at the end. That was followed by a lopsided Maine win the next night. Almost exactly the same pattern as last weekend. Makes me very uneasy.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I wouldn't shake things up dramatically right as the playoffs begin. Use what got you there. Gunn/Sheks with limited game time, or have the 6-7 dmen work through it? I'd take my chances with the guys that have been there all year. Rather not worry about guys needing to shake off rust trying to stop opposing forwards coming at them.

MC has been one of the worst teams offensively since the calendar flipped. Should be an NU sweep, no questions asked. Tirronen has the ability to steal a game. But their offense has been so non-existent that NU should be able to outwork them.
                      NU defense has been horrible for 5 straight games. Darou has been the only good Dman during that span. If JM doesn't shake things up, then they will be cleaning their lockers early in the HE playoffs just like last year and so many years before. Their poor skating has been exposed. The freshmen are getting worse at D coverage instead of better. The last time we won a game with less than 6 goals was 8 games ago against UMass, when we scored 5. So, if the offense can put up 6 goals or more, then we should win. If not, then we better get stellar play from Witt/D. Roy, which is something we haven't seen lately.

Comment

The fellow who delayed the national anthem by bellowing "Roby Must Go" a couple of times, had the correct idea with incorrect timing.
                        I'm surprised that you feel like you are in a position to critique other fans behavior when you don't even know who "The Fellow" is. If you have been following NU hockey for any period of time at all you'd know who he is, and that he's done more for NU Hockey in terms of publicity & recognition for the program, fan development etc. than maybe anyone over the past 15+ years.
                        Dog House Class of 2003

"Puh Pah Playoffs!...You talk about playoffs?... You kiddin' me? Playoffs?"

55-622-73-35-418, I'm on FIRE!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky Victory! View Post
                          I'm surprised that you feel like you are in a position to critique other fans behavior when you don't even know who "The Fellow" is. If you have been following NU hockey for any period of time at all you'd know who he is, and that he's done more for NU Hockey in terms of publicity & recognition for the program, fan development etc. than maybe anyone over the past 15+ years.
                          Is that so? Since I have been actively following and "boosting" Husky hockey for longer than you've been alive - unless you are over 50 -there is a very good chance that I know whoever it is that you referred to. The Friends of Hockey is a moderate sized community and most of us know, or know of each other. I don't care if it was George Matthews, who waited until the Arena had become quiet and the anthem singer was ready to sing before he interrupted her. He was rude, classless, and extremely inconsiderate of the young lady who was probably dealing with a bad case of nerves at that moment.

If this fellow, who must be the oldest member of the "Doghouse", wants attention so badly, I suggest that he "support" the hockey prgram with a really meaningful donation. Perhaps we'll name the Penalty Box after him!

Comment

Is that so? Since I have been actively following and "boosting" Husky hockey for longer than you've been alive - unless you are over 50 -there is a very good chance that I know whoever it is that you referred to. The Friends of Hockey is a moderate sized community and most of us know, or know of each other. I don't care if it was George Matthews, who waited until the Arena had become quiet and the anthem singer was ready to sing before he interrupted her. He was rude, classless, and extremely inconsiderate of the young lady who was probably dealing with a bad case of nerves at that moment.

If this fellow, who must be the oldest member of the "Doghouse", wants attention so badly, I suggest that he "support" the hockey prgram with a really meaningful donation. Perhaps we'll name the Penalty Box after him!
                            Was it that you didn't see this person and just heard him? Otherwise, you'd know exactly who he is. Regardless.... was it unfortunate for the anthem singer? Probably.. Was is inappropriate and classless? No. Was it absolutely warranted? YES! ROBY MUST GO!

The only people that don't seem to get it are the elders in the Varsity Club who are content with the status quo. I know who they are. Obviously you know who they are too. The Friends group, although seemingly open to anyone who makes a donation, seems to be made up of a clique of elderly gentlemen and some former players who don't seem to be too concerned with what has been happening on Huntington Ave since Cronin left. Frankly, they were probably content with Bruce Crowder's record too. I can count on 1 hand the number of older people who hang at the Varsity Club who are willing to even acknowledge the younger fan base. Those that have reached out are great, the others....ehh. I would urge anyone to stop donating to the program until Roby is gone, and you all better hope our Basketball team doesn't win the Colonial and make the NCAA tournament, that would be disastrous for the hockey program.
                            Last edited by Happy Husky Victory!; 03-03-2015, 01:52 PM.
                            Dog House Class of 2003

"Puh Pah Playoffs!...You talk about playoffs?... You kiddin' me? Playoffs?"

55-622-73-35-418, I'm on FIRE!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky Victory! View Post
                              ..The only people that don't seem to get it are the elders in the Varsity Club who are content with the status quo. I know who they are. Obviously you know who they are too. The Friends group, although seemingly open to anyone who makes a donation, seems to be made up of a clique of elderly gentlemen and some former players who don't seem to be too concerned with what has been happening on Huntington Ave since Cronin left..
                              bingo..
                              & I don't want to start anything right now either because its about the playoffs & folks (team included) stepping up and performing their best when season is on the line.
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Is that so? Since I have been actively following and "boosting" Husky hockey for longer than you've been alive - unless you are over 50 -
                                Not that it is hard or that the donkey you are responding to needs any help, but good job making him look like a buffoon.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X