PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern Huskies 2014-15 Season Thread Part II: It Ain't over!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

HHound
03-03-2015, 03:45 PM
I heard him, but from my seats in section 8 (directly behing the anthem singer), I couldn't see him, nor would I have been able to recognize him at that distance.

There are several "elders", as you call them, who hang around the VC room as though it is their personal clubhouse. I am not one of them, but I do recognize that they have done more over the years to support NU athletics than you can imagine. I can't say whether or not they "get it", but in many ways they are not satisfied with the status quo. In a few cases I can say theat they are resigned to it, but others would love to see a major overhaul.

From your post, I have been led to believe that you are not a member the "Friends of Hockey". You would know that a donation is not required. We ask for a nominal membership fee of $40 IIRC. There are "gentlemen" of all ages, including students who pay a reduced memberships fee, as well as a number of "ladies". The members were not content with Bruce Crowder. He was a pleasant fellow, but the results were disappointing and we needed a much tougher guy and stronger recruiter.

If you are an enthusiastic NU hockey fan, why don't you become a member. There is a Year End awards dinner coming up (usually in early April) and the FOH annual meeting with the coan in June, I can promise that you will be much better informed. Go to the bottom of the GONU.com hockey page for a link to the FOH.

As for the basketball team, you can count on two things. They (the "braintrust") will find a way to screw it up and Roby will be there. If you post or lurk on Diehard Dogs, you already know how the folks there view the status quo and how they feel about the "Hockey Assassin" :mad:

retsap71
03-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Was it that you didn't see this person and just heard him? Otherwise, you'd know exactly who he is. Regardless.... was it unfortunate for the anthem singer? Probably.. Was is inappropriate and classless? No. Was it absolutely warranted? YES! ROBY MUST GO!

The only people that don't seem to get it are the elders in the Varsity Club who are content with the status quo. I know who they are. Obviously you know who they are too. The Friends group, although seemingly open to anyone who makes a donation, seems to be made up of a clique of elderly gentlemen and some former players who don't seem to be too concerned with what has been happening on Huntington Ave since Cronin left. Frankly, they were probably content with Bruce Crowder's record too. I can count on 1 hand the number of older people who hang at the Varsity Club who are willing to even acknowledge the younger fan base. Those that have reached out are great, the others....ehh. I would urge anyone to stop donating to the program until Roby is gone, and you all better hope our Basketball team doesn't win the Colonial and make the NCAA tournament, that would be disastrous for the hockey program.

What makes the younger crowd correct, and that is the crowd that I would fall into. You want to stop supporting the program until Roby is gone, see that hurts the program.

HHound
03-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Becky,
You must understand that the Hockey Assassin is an equal opportunity assassin. He treats the women's program with a disdain, that is similar to the way he regards the men's (at least, under Cronin). Don"t let him douse your fire. He won't be here forever!

What excuse/reason did he give for keeping you home? Split-N and I were commenting on Saturday about how much better your band sounded than it had in recent years.. Keep it up. See you Friday night.:)

NU_Husky
03-04-2015, 08:42 AM
So, uhhh...playoffs?

Huskies of NU
03-04-2015, 09:13 AM
So, uhhh...playoffs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE#t=15

itisibecky
03-04-2015, 10:20 AM
So, uhhh...playoffs?

Woohoo! We win the series and we probably go to BC right?

Happy Husky Victory!
03-04-2015, 10:42 AM
Woohoo! We win the series and we probably go to BC right?

That place is a house of horrors for us. Good news is the games will likely be on TV. If Notre Dame loses, and we win our series does that mean we go to Lowell instead?

walrus655321
03-04-2015, 11:04 AM
That place is a house of horrors for us. Good news is the games will likely be on TV. If Notre Dame loses, and we win our series does that mean we go to Lowell instead?

That's correct.

I think the televised series will be the bu series though. I know they were advertising a 4 PM start for Sat the 14th (similar to our times this weekend) at Agganis last Friday.

HHound
03-04-2015, 11:07 AM

IIRC, HEA reseeds after each round. If ND loses and we win, we would become the fifth seed and play the fourth seed UML. I'd prefer that, as BC is a much better defensive team that UML starting in the goal.

Happy Husky Victory!
03-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Agreed. GO U-MAAAAASSS!! As Mrs. Bishko used to say....wonder if she's still around...

northeastern
03-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Agreed. GO U-MAAAAASSS!! As Mrs. Bishko used to say....wonder if she's still around...

..the woman was possessed.. (God bless her.. either way).
:)

Thiessen'sBetter
03-05-2015, 02:34 AM
IIRC, HEA reseeds after each round. If ND loses and we win, we would become the fifth seed and play the fourth seed UML. I'd prefer that, as BC is a much better defensive team that UML starting in the goal.

Peter Chiarelli has a better chance to win Executive of the Year than UMass has to win a series at Notre Dame. As for BC, they're certainly more beatable than in recent years, despite a ridiculous amount of blue line talent. They have 4 future NHL d-men, we might have 1 future AHL defenseman. That being said, we'we played 3 very close games with them this year, I'd expect a really good series.

NU_Husky
03-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Is it me, or have a number of our top scorers flown under the radar this season? Dalen Hedges with 34 points, getting much less pub than Szmatula who has "just" 28 points. Personally Szmat's low total surprises me, but may help us in the long run as he may want to return for one more year to up his stock for the pros. the much maligned Benning has 22 assists, tied for 5th among defensemen in the nation. Kevin Roy gets so much attention, and rightly so, but I feel the other scorers on the team deserve their due as well.

northeastern
03-05-2015, 10:38 AM
I'm just wishing they play as a team again tomorrow. Take care of business & get back to the habits that got them the wins over quality opponents. Practice those habits.. stick with them. Bounce back from mistakes & it won't matter who we play the following week. Just come out of this wknd with good habits.. goalie included.

HHound
03-05-2015, 11:34 AM
Is it me, or have a number of our top scorers flown under the radar this season? Dalen Hedges with 34 points, getting much less pub than Szmatula who has "just" 28 points. Personally Szmat's low total surprises me, but may help us in the long run as he may want to return for one more year to up his stock for the pros. the much maligned Benning has 22 assists, tied for 5th among defensemen in the nation. Kevin Roy gets so much attention, and rightly so, but I feel the other scorers on the team deserve their due as well.

The fact that they haven't gotten more publicity doesn't mean much at gametime. The opposing coaches and players know who they are. Possible reason for Szmats lower production might be the fact that his line has been matched up with other teams' top lines (see bu in the past three games). Those annoying checking duties tend to interfere with their offensive instincts. Szmatula does so much for the team that he may qualify as the teams "unsung Hero" this year. I was a bit surprised that he diedn't make SB Nations's list of the top 100 pro prospects currently playing college hockey. Roy was our only rep at at # 25. Rankings isn't what wins games. Good players playing well together does!

beanstalk
03-05-2015, 12:41 PM
The fact that they haven't gotten more publicity doesn't mean much at gametime. The opposing coaches and players know who they are. Possible reason for Szmats lower production might be the fact that his lione has been matched up with other teams' top lines (see bu in the past three games). Those annoying checking duties tend to interfere with their offensive instincts. Szmatula does so much for the team that he may qualify as the teams "unsung Hero" this year. I was a bit surprised that he diedn't make SB Nations's list of the top 100 pro prospects currently playing college hockey. Roy was our only rep at at # 25. Rankings isn't what wins games. Good players playing well together does!

Thank you for noticing how players actually play on the ice vs. how their statistics are memorialized on a score sheet. Szmats, ZAR and Reid have been three of the best players on the ice this year at winning battles and shifting the flow of the game. Those contributions don't show up on the score sheet, but fly off the ice when you watch the game. IMO, Benning's assists are a result of his being on the ice for close to 30 minutes a game (including every single PP with Roy and other skilled scorers) and nothing more. He still does not impress. JM's love affair with him and Sauce is our team's fatal flaw and will be exploited in the HE playoffs, as it has been all year by highly skilled teams. We will need great defensive zone play by our forwards, great goaltending and lots of scoring to overcome this. That could get us to the next round, but I don't know if it can get us beyond that.

itisibecky
03-05-2015, 12:52 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing, especially with Hedgey. I thought he'd been playing really well but literally NO ONE talks about him. I also noticed Benning's assists and I feel like people are too busy ****ting on him for the times he's not as good on D and forget about the major contribution he makes to this team.

retsap71
03-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Thank you for noticing how players actually play on the ice vs. how their statistics are memorialized on a score sheet. Szmats, ZAR and Reid have been three of the best players on the ice this year at winning battles and shifting the flow of the game. Those contributions don't show up on the score sheet, but fly off the ice when you watch the game. IMO, Benning's assists are a result of his being on the ice for close to 30 minutes a game (including every single PP with Roy and other skilled scorers) and nothing more. He still does not impress. JM's love affair with him and Sauce is our team's fatal flaw and will be exploited in the HE playoffs, as it has been all year by highly skilled teams. We will need great defensive zone play by our forwards, great goaltending and lots of scoring to overcome this. That could get us to the next round, but I don't know if it can get us beyond that.

JM's love affair with Benning is out of necessity. Tell me who is better than him on this team? All f this work and experience is going to pay off for him and the team over the next 2 seasons.

HHound
03-05-2015, 02:07 PM
JM's love affair with Benning is out of necessity. Tell me who is better than him on this team? All f this work and experience is going to pay off for him and the team over the next 2 seasons.

You happen to be correct on this. We have two very good Ds coming in to help next year and lose only Lauxers. One is a first team all-star in the OJHL - the leading scorer among Ds, and the other is supposed to be a sold defensive type .
At full strenght, we do pretty well (including the Ds). I doesn't take a genius to realize that we really have to do better shorthanded. The penalty killers don't seem to realize that their mission is to kill the other teams' penalties - not to kill our chances of coming out ahead after three periods. A couple of years ago we had no PP. Now we have no PK. Is it too much for us to have both special teams that are successful? It would also help if ZAR, et al, would stop taking needless and retaliatory penalties, as well as penalties late in the period. Those late period penalties are killers, as we frequently give up a goal without time to respond before the period ends. If we want to play rough, we'd better able to hang tough on the PK.

Watch Witt's body language early tomorrow night. If he comes out and plays confidentally, the team will feel free to play aggressively. We'll get 3-5 goals on Tirronnen. If he doesn't look good early, we may have to struggle. We're playing a team that has regressed as we have progressed. I don't want to see us struggle. It isn't pretty to watch!

beanstalk
03-05-2015, 04:04 PM

Better than him (in no particular order): Darou, Fennell, Schechter, Owens, Cockerill

The same or worse than him (in no particular order): Sauce, Lauwers, Gunn

This is not driven by necessity. That's an excuse that teams that never win anything make. It's driven by fear of failure ("Well, at least if I play the kid with NHL connections, nobody can blame me if we lose"). Well, it's time to blame him. The reason the Patriots win championships is because Belichick has no fear of failure - he goes for it on fourth down, he cuts proven veterans to give young up-and-coming talent a chance, he takes a chance on players who don't fit in with other teams, etc., etc., etc. Necessity didn't cause us to go 0-8-1 in the first 9 games. Don't expect mediocrity from your team and don't be satisfied with it. Make changes and take chances.