Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2014-15 Season Thread Part II: It Ain't over!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2014-15 Season Thread Part II: It Ain't over!!

split wknd. team gas off the pedal tonight & bu played very well.

new season with the playoffs.. back @ practice & hopefully get something going to get to the garden.
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Pretty disappointed "Senior Night" before the only sell out of the season at Matthews, as it was perhaps the Huskies worst game in 3 months. Witt has looked tired and played pretty poorly tonight. He was not all that sharp in the bean pot and was absolutely was terrible tonight. However, in the end it was a pretty good season by NU standards. The fact is they really can't play with BU, line for line without getting lucky and the talent difference was finally noticeable tonight. BU is much faster and rolled over them for 4 straight periods this weekend and we were lucky to get 2 points.

I am going to sign off for the year on this thing as I don't expect much in terms of a HE east championship from a 6th place finish, so its all but over in spite of this threads name. It was a good 8 weeks after the poor start and we have a lot to be proud off. In this league if you can't recruit with a BU or BC (and we can't) you need a NHL caliber net minder who can play with a .980 + save % every night in order to win and when Clay isn't on his game we don't have a chance we just don't have that depth to come back form 3 or 4 goals down, the way BU came back on us on Sat. Our D is still very shallow and is mistake prone in transition.

In spite of this we can still win on sheer determination and drive to compete, but, tonight they ran out of steam. You have to admit they can play with anyone. However, when looking at the record books in 20 years this season will mark out statistically like so many other husky seasons of 15 win mediocrity and no bean pot. Those of us who actually watched it will of course know better!

We will need to find a quality goal tender before October and we should all pray that Roy sticks around for his Senior campaign. On a brighter note my son had a hat trick and 2 assists in the 1st home playoff game on Thursday night and we demolished Bridgewater Raynham 8 to 4. Wish us luck as it gets tougher against Hingham tomorrow night down on the Cape.

See you call in October, stay safe and have a great and prosperous off season.

Regards,
      Rossi
      Last edited by RossiRules; 02-28-2015, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Terrible performance all around tonight. The only bright side was that we didn't get the help we needed for the bye anyway.

And nice touch showing that the basketball is co-CAA champs. Of course, they're tied with half the conference and would've won outright if they could've beaten a terrible Elon team, but hey, why quibble with the "success" of a co-championship, right Roby?

Comment

This is three games in a row that Witt has not looked sharp. Last night and tonight he had a terrible save percentage in the lows .800s. Hopefully we can chalk it up to bu's offense but there was definitely a few softies he let in.
          "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

Originally posted by Motorboaters View Post
            This is three games in a row that Witt has not looked sharp. Last night and tonight he had a terrible save percentage in the lows .800s. Hopefully we can chalk it up to bu's offense but there was definitely a few softies he let in.

4 in a row, he gave up 4 at Maine. His last 4 games it has been 4, 4, 5 and 6. Not a good trend.

Comment

The only win tonight for Northeastern was drawing Merrimack in the opening round, really wanted to avoid Umass (dosen't help Pairwise either) and UNH as they always play us tough. If we can sweep Merrimack it will be decent for pairwise implications. From there on out if everyone who is supposed to win does so, looks like it's going to be a trip up to Chesnut Hill for three games.

My biggest concern heading into the playoffs is easily Clay Witt. Although I can't blame him for giving up 4+ goals to BU, to do it three times in a row, and also against Maine is scary. We already know the NU defense is going to get beaten by fast teams who like to play in transition, so if Witt is anything but on his "A" game we stand no chance after Merrimack. I'm not giving up on this team yet, that's for sure. Looking forward to home playoff hockey at Matthews, and hopefully a sweep of Merrimack.

Comment

Originally posted by josh_brown View Post
                The only win tonight for Northeastern was drawing Merrimack in the opening round, really wanted to avoid Umass (dosen't help Pairwise either) and UNH as they always play us tough. If we can sweep Merrimack it will be decent for pairwise implications. From there on out if everyone who is supposed to win does so, looks like it's going to be a trip up to Chesnut Hill for three games.

My biggest concern heading into the playoffs is easily Clay Witt. Although I can't blame him for giving up 4+ goals to BU, to do it three times in a row, and also against Maine is scary. We already know the NU defense is going to get beaten by fast teams who like to play in transition, so if Witt is anything but on his "A" game we stand no chance after Merrimack. I'm not giving up on this team yet, that's for sure. Looking forward to home playoff hockey at Matthews, and hopefully a sweep of Merrimack.
                Merrimack is a dumpster fire right now, you guys shouldn't have much issue with them.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by josh_brown View Post

Obviously the PK as well. The last couple weeks Northeastern's started taking some real undisciplined penalties. As Madigan said to us after the game tonight, "It's suicide taking seven penalties against Boston University". Not only does NU have to do a much better job killing power plays, they need to put themselves in better positions to not take so many penalties.

Comment

Watched first period, Witt let them down, npo doubt. I still think he is their best chance in postseason. Did BC get the 3 seed?
                    The Artist formally known as Steve66

Comment

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2014-15 Season Thread Part II: It Ain't over!!

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      Merrimack is a dumpster fire right now, you guys shouldn't have much issue with them.
                      100% correct. Watching them twice this weekend, unless it was because they had nothing to play for, they are not motiviated and aside from Tirronen have very limited skill.
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

I don't really have much to say about Saturday's game. I thought we played really undisciplined and it was definitely not a good example of what this team can do. I am really glad BU was still drunk from the Beanpot so we could get a win on Friday, but after the way the game [almost] fell apart on Friday, Saturday did not surprise me at all.

That being said, what I really want to comment on is the poor behavior by some NU fans on Saturday. When we recognized BU's seniors, there were boo's and "sucks" yelled from the student section. I don't care what kind of chip on your shoulder people at Northeastern have over BU, that kind of behavior is really inappropriate and seriously makes Northeastern as a student section look poor. We already have a reputation for spewing mostly lewd, borderline inappropriate-for-a-setting-in-which-children-and-families-exist chants, let's not also be known as a school with a disrespectful student section.

I was there on Friday at the game at BU, and when they recognized our seniors, they clapped politely and there was even a graphic put up with our husky logo congratulating the seniors. It makes me sad that people don't know how to differentiate between when it's okay to chirp and heckle the other team and when you need to realize that they're all hockey players and people and students who deserve respect. Save the "sucks" for during the game, and when they announce the lineups. Recognizing the seniors is absolutely not the place for that.

Comment

Originally posted by itisibecky View Post
                          I don't really have much to say about Saturday's game. I thought we played really undisciplined and it was definitely not a good example of what this team can do. I am really glad BU was still drunk from the Beanpot so we could get a win on Friday, but after the way the game [almost] fell apart on Friday, Saturday did not surprise me at all.

That being said, what I really want to comment on is the poor behavior by some NU fans on Saturday. When we recognized BU's seniors, there were boo's and "sucks" yelled from the student section. I don't care what kind of chip on your shoulder people at Northeastern have over BU, that kind of behavior is really inappropriate and seriously makes Northeastern as a student section look poor. We already have a reputation for spewing mostly lewd, borderline inappropriate-for-a-setting-in-which-children-and-families-exist chants, let's not also be known as a school with a disrespectful student section.

I was there on Friday at the game at BU, and when they recognized our seniors, they clapped politely and there was even a graphic put up with our husky logo congratulating the seniors. It makes me sad that people don't know how to differentiate between when it's okay to chirp and heckle the other team and when you need to realize that they're all hockey players and people and students who deserve respect. Save the "sucks" for during the game, and when they announce the lineups. Recognizing the seniors is absolutely not the place for that.
                          Thank you for this. I noticed this at the game Saturday night as well and thought it was really poor behavior by your generally awesome and entertaining student section. The acoustics at Matthews are not the greatest as you can't hear the PA that well when you sit under the balcony in the lower bowl so I didn't even realize they were announcing the BU seniors until I heard the "SUCKS" and figured out it wasn't the starting line up.

Comment

• Originally posted by itisibecky View Post

well said & hope its duly noted.
                            +1
                            GO NU HOCKEY
                            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• On another note, hope we get back to disciplined play for the playoffs. Its what got us this far. Perhaps some line shakeups?

Let's try for two in a row this wknd & get prepared. Practice hard, play smart! Go Huskies!
                              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Out of curiosity, is Gunn hurt or just a healthy scratch.
                                The Artist formally known as Steve66

Comment

Working...
                                X