PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern Huskies 2014-15 Season Thread Part II: It Ain't over!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

J.D.
03-07-2015, 07:20 PM
It's consistently called a penalty in college hockey, i will say that. Considering nu had 2 pps in ot, looked legit i guess.

brassbonanza
Mookie is at the holy cross game, so didn't see. But was it a penalty?

It was, he clearly ran into Tironnen without making an attempt to stop, and elbowed his head as well. Wasn't touched by a MC Dman. Not to mention NU got two OT penalties.

J.D.
Regardless, witt scored on himself

northeastern
03-07-2015, 07:21 PM
I'm sure Madigan's extension will be coming soon.

wish he'd have expressed interest in the AD job from the get go.. would have been excellent at it..

RossiRules
03-07-2015, 07:39 PM
I went to every game since the Beanpot. They simply were never the same team since the loss to BU. However, we can't blame the officials as they had 15 PP this weekend and scored on 1. After coming out of the blocks 0 - 8 they finished .500. However, with only 4 Beanpots and 4 NCAA tournaments in 80 years, on what planet are the level of expectations that most of you have. Lower them! The PK sucked over the last 5 games!

Northeastern is not a sports school and that starts with are inept AD. If you want to change this perception a commitment from the administration would need to move forward like Patton through North Africa and that’s just not going to happen.

This program is a backwater with less than a dozen players ever making into the NHL. You all think about that when you walk over to BU and BC and look at the walls lined with blue chip NHL players. Hell Madigan has to do it with smoke and mirrors. It's fun to watch and I enjoy it as they always give 100%. So be happy for that. The program isn’t a joke, it’s the best it can be at this level given the playing field in which they play. Remembering this is the top DIV in college hockey. Its like being the Northwestern of football in the Big 10.

Tonight they put nearly 70 shots on tonight and could not win. Just another year of NU hockey. The fact is the team is only as good as their record. .500.

Having spent nearly 40 years playing and watching top level hockey they are not talented enough and never will be. Lower your expectations of them and enjoy your $15 and $20 tickets for the a fun night of quality hockey. That's what this program offers to students, alumni and the general public , once you come to the realization that we won't be competing for national championships you all will be a lot happier.

There simply are not enough collage players who want to play at NU with loads of better programs ahead of them with a more logical path to pro hockey. Every year there are 4 or 5 starters who do not belong in Division 1 and CS is at the top of the list, there is no room for 5 foot 8 or 9 D men in this league if you intend on winning and if you have one you are going to be screwed. They get beat everyday and twice on Friday's. Now we have to move on and get a goalie and do the best with what we have, like we always do.

Its not BU or BC and its never going to be. We had a good season by NU standards and just ran out of gas.

See you all in October, stay safe and enjoy your off season. We can all see who leaves and who is coming here in the off season but if you keep your perspective on the program, we can still play great hockey and beat anyone night in and nigh out, just don’t expect it to happen with any level of consistency.

Thiessen'sBetter
03-07-2015, 07:41 PM
PK was 8/17 (47%) the last 4 games.

northeastern
03-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Rossi.. how the he## does a Union or Lowell do it.. it can be done with the right HC & coaching staff..

but you're right.. not with current AD & his mindset toward the program..

Thiessen'sBetter
03-07-2015, 07:53 PM
Its not BU or BC and its never going to be. We had a good season by NU standards and just ran out of gas.

I don't expect NU to be BU or BC. I expect them to not get swept at home by a Merrimack team who hasn't won since January. I don't think that's too much to ask.

brassbonanza
03-07-2015, 07:54 PM
What specifically is all of this beef with the AD? I have no opinion, just don't know.

Motorboaters
03-07-2015, 08:02 PM
PK was 8/17 (47%) the last 4 games.

Absolutely atrocious and nothing was done to change how, whatever that was supposed to be, was executed. As soon as Roy got that penalty, I knew it was over.

Motorboaters
03-07-2015, 08:03 PM
Rossi.. how the he## does a Union or Lowell do it.. it can be done with the right HC & coaching staff..

but you're right.. not with current AD & his mindset toward the program..

Good question. Providence and Umass Lowell are leaps and bounds above us and I do not consider either of them to be sports schools.

RossiRules
03-07-2015, 08:14 PM
I don't expect NU to be BU or BC. I expect them to not get swept at home by a Merrimack team who hasn't won since January. I don't think that's too much to ask. It is too much to ask? Sorry, You think of Merrimack as lesser than NU and they aren’t! Top to bottom they are nearly just as good as NU in teams of recruited players with several European top prospects no better or worse than we have, and were actually better in PP and PK all weekend. That said, I thought we played better hockey for perhaps about 70% of the nearly 9 periods over the 2 games, but we lost. That’s hockey!

We must give credit to their goalie, who stood on his head and had a great weekend. Merrimack didn’t generally play better than us, as I was there watching. They just had a little more luck than we did. With the players NU has, you need a Thiessen type of monster of a goalie between the pipes every year. Witt is an average net minder.

Remember, the best 4 year stints in the history of this program occurred under Bruce Racine and Brad Thiessen, the only net minders to actually play well in the AHL and even suit up in the NHL.

When and if we have that guy again, we will be good, but not great. MC is just as good as we are and they beat us fair and square you can’t fault, the refs, JM, his staff o Roby for that.

LOL you ask how Union or Yale can do it..They do it by not playing in HE. Its like playing a schedule againt the Yankees and Red Sox every night! Hell by the time an ECAC team is ready for the tournament their schedule is filled with enough patsy's and bottom feeders that they are well rested for the NCAA and here is another note that league isnt filled with guys thinging thay are going to go the the NHL. HE is like being in the AL East

northeastern
03-07-2015, 08:32 PM
last I checked Lowell (and Providence), with the examples given.. were both in HE, Rossi..

Cronin had Gaudreau, Gillies, on & on.. it does come down to personnel..

Yuppie Scum
03-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Sorry Benedetto, no way to overturn that one..

Quality.. And quantity.

Bad end to yalls season. I still believe if HEA had competent refs you would have won the pot.

RossiRules
03-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Lowell doesn’t have the admission requirements that NU has, if any of you think the hockey players at NU are getting a pass for the rest of the standards you are dead wrong. Providence can beat any team on any given night and have a way better history of success than we do over its history, with a commitment from the university brass too. You can't compare Catholic schools with public and private national universities. As a catholic #1, I will tell you that any kid from a dynamic and practicing Catholic family would kill to go to ND, BC, for hockey or even Providence and will chose it ahead of NU any day of the week. Catholic schools give the same credence to success on the athletic fields as they do in the classroom. It doesn't matter if you are at St Joe's, Villanova or Marist or Fordham, you must compete and occationally win, even if the crows are small. When I was at Iona and actually playing we were expected to win regardless of our division. Totally different dynamic at PC the AD is a guy who takes winning and fielding the best possible team as important as the ranking in US News and World Report. NU is a different animal form top to bottom. You will never find a Roby at a Catholic school. Not even Georgetown would have a guy like him.

The Zlax45
03-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Good question. Providence and Umass Lowell are leaps and bounds above us and I do not consider either of them to be sports schools.

Um, PC has been to two final fours, couple elite eights, and won the Big East last year.

Oh Ya, PC men's soccer went to the Final Four this past year and won the 2013 national championship in womens XC

northeastern
03-07-2015, 09:10 PM
.. with a commitment from the university brass too..
Totally different dynamic at PC the AD is a guy who takes winning and fielding the best possible team as important as the ranking in US News and World Report..

bingo.. in a nutshell.
I knew I could get it out of ya..

steakbomb
03-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Sorry Benedetto, no way to overturn that one..

Quality.. And quantity.

Bad end to yalls season. I still believe if HEA had competent refs you would have won the pot.

Didn't see the game but please don't tell me Bene was a problem again, or worse, THE story. Can't. Take much more bad officiating

Hokydad
03-07-2015, 09:15 PM
Last time I checked NU wasn't that highly rated of a school. Saponarri tossed from BU, BC admissions laughed, NU said, "come on down"

HHound
03-07-2015, 09:30 PM
Last time I checked NU wasn't that highly rated of a school. Saponarri tossed from BU, BC admissions laughed, NU said, "come on down"

Check again! That was perhaps the most ill informed post you've made since you declared that Jamie Olesiak wouldn't succeed in College hockey! You'd better have 1400+ boards or some really special talent to get into NU these days.

RossiRules - you are correct about Roby being unfit to be the AD at a Catholic university. He wasn't even considered to be a candidate at his alma mater, Dartmouth. When they had to replace their AD a few years ago, they placed Roby on the Search Committee - so that he couldn't be a candidate!