>>>>> RIT TIGERS - Roaring into the postseason <<<<<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
    Well, yes, but such financial aid isn't classified as "Division I" and doesn't usually get "accepted" by the student ("awarded" to the student is more common), nor is the fact of such award relevant to athletics.
    Powers &8^]
    These Junior teams are doing all they can to market themselves to possible future players and to their fans. Even those going to DIII schools will be advertised as getting "Scholarships".

Here's an interesting story I found on Austin Wright from the Niagara falls paper. http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2014/09/10/the-wright-stuff.

Electrical engineering student, playing on his hometown team, Captain (as an 18yr old). Sounds like a great fit as an RIT student to me. And he plays hockey. What's not to like.....

He's a 2016-17 commit, so it will be interesting to see where (and how) he plays next season.

I read a story on the differences and relationship between the OJHL (JrA) and the GOHL (JrB). I was a very illuminating read and if I can find it again, I'll post it.

The addition of Austin Wright makes 3 Tigers recruits for the 2016-17 class the others include:

Defenseman Gordie Ballhorn (AJHL - Whitecourt Wolverines) was a unanimous selection to the AJHL rookie team.

Forward Reed Delainey (SJHL - Battleford Northstars).
    John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
    NCAA DII - 1983
    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

• Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS - Roaring into the postseason <<<<<

Congrats to RIT on a great season. Great game from the Tigers on Saturday and never in the history of college hockey was a 4-0 game closer than what I saw on Sunday night. Until UNO scored their second goal, I thought RIT was going to win the game, and it was only when UNO finally scored a third goal did the outcome seem defined.

Loved the energy brought to the CFIA by the Tiger crowd. You guys were even more in force on Sunday than Saturday, and that was great to see. I was pulling for RIT both nights. After seeing how the Tigers play hockey I'm not certain Saturday was all that huge of an upset. Great puck pursuit, goaltender was strong, couple of guys were making sweet moves (the first goal Saturday was a goal scorers goal!) and well coached and prepared to compete. Sunday truly could have gone either way for 55 minutes.

Hope everyone enjoyed their time at the CFIA. Good luck in the coming season.

Comment

Originally posted by kerwing7 View Post
        Big congrats to the team this year. I admit that I wasn't the most attentive or supportive fan this year and I certainly didn't see this run coming earlier in the season. Great to see the team really come together when it counted. Great that Garbo and McGowan won an aha championship and made some real noise in the tournament. They were a really good pairing when they were freshmen and it's sad to see them go.
        Heck, I was convinced this team wasn't going to make it to Blue Cross Arena at the beginning of the season. Complete 180d turnaround in the second half of the season.
        RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
          My only concern with signings would be that teams have already stocked up from players whose seasons ended last week or earlier. Someone should snap 'em up, though. Ruby, too.

For next year, assuming we have Schuler and Mitchell as our top-line wingers, who's going to play center? Maybe Smith?

Powers &8^]
          I would be hesitant to count on having Schuler at all next year with his history. I would love to have him back, but not if it's going to risk his future health. If he is healthy, I think a Smith-Schuler-Mitchell line would be a good starting point. Andrew Miller might get a look as well.

The defensemen are going to be a strong backbone and may need to carry RIT early next year while the offense adjusts. Rotolo will need to step up a little bit to keep winning games.
          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2010 Frozen Four participant
          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
            I would be hesitant to count on having Schuler at all next year with his history. I would love to have him back, but not if it's going to risk his future health. If he is healthy, I think a Smith-Schuler-Mitchell line would be a good starting point. Andrew Miller might get a look as well.

The defensemen are going to be a strong backbone and may need to carry RIT early next year while the offense adjusts. Rotolo will need to step up a little bit to keep winning games.
            Don't forget about Skirving. He kind of disappeared this season, but as a freshmen last year (when Garbo was hurt all season) he put up 22 points in 34 games. He's got size and some of the best speed on the team. I could see him getting a chance to play an expanded role.

Also I'm hoping to see more of Mikowski. Another guy with size who definitely got better as the year progressed.
            RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
              New commitment to RIT for next season, Austin Wright.

Here's his twitter:
              https://twitter.com/a_wright88

And his eliteprospects page:
              http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=240563

Guy had 48 points in 31 games as a defenseman this season, eye popping numbers.
              When I look on the commitment page for RIT I see Valenzuela (centerman) from the OJHL (Junir A) is slated for 2015/2016, he is a natural centerman and should be miles ahead on the depth scale over the depth player you listed. The big difference off the bat is Valenzuela comes from Junior A, so his numbers are higher and more impressive coming against a much higher caliber opponent. The other player comes from Junior B which is a tier below which equates to 40 plus junior A team rosters ahead in caliber. As well the drop off to Junior B (GOJHL) is pretty large, you do have some top guys who can make the jump however most usually lack the vision not having played at a high enough level for too many years. Sport comes down to time and space, Junior A affords you much less so decision making and play has to be much higher.

You also have some other wonderful recruits listed on the commitment page, your team should be strong for few years to come yet.

Comment

Hey look maybe he's coming around...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...154937183.html

I don't mind being ranked 8th out of the elite 8 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by kwh7433 View Post
                  Hey look maybe he's coming around...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...154937183.html

I don't mind being ranked 8th out of the elite 8 teams.
                  You'll note, though, that our opponent isn't even on the list, despite being #1 in PWR and RPI.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Jordan Ruby confirmed transfer to the ECHL Toledo Walleye: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=76873
                    RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Matt Garbowsky has signed with the Amerks and will join them for the remainder of the season: http://amerks.com/newsX.asp?type=News&aID=1261

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                        Matt Garbowsky has signed with the Amerks and will join them for the remainder of the season: http://amerks.com/newsX.asp?type=News&aID=1261
                        WoooooOOOooOOOOOoooooOOO
                        RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                          Not only has he signed an ATO for this season but he has signed on for the entire 15-16 season next year. That's great news! If he makes a strong showing with their last 9 games I'm sure he'll at least end up at Sabres camp and have a shot at making their roster.
                          RIT

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

Hope everyone enjoyed their time at the CFIA. Good luck in the coming season.
                            It's a great arena and every one connected with Notre Dame that we encountered was very nice and friendly. Really cool to see you guys let the kids ride the zambonis - it's these kinds of things that make for a great atmosphere and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post

It would be awesome to have (healthy) Schuler back next year. If he can come back I'm not sure putting him on the same line as Mitchell is the way to go - they're both such amazing playmakers it might be better to split them up. But if they do end up together I think Golberg would be the best fit with them. He's been really impressive this year - great on face-offs, always hustling, great net presence, and great at getting himself in the right place at the right time. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up an assistant captain next year.

If Schuler and Mitchell aren 't together I still think Mitchell-Golberg would be great - just not sure who the third should be.
                              Last edited by five8five; 04-01-2015, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Might as well keep "MGM" going and do Mitchell-Golberg-Miller/Mikowski

Also, what happened to Schuler this season? Got hurt in January?
                                Last edited by StimulisRK; 04-01-2015, 07:09 AM.

RIT Hockey FB Group
                                Facebook.com/groups/RITtigershockey

RIT '13

Comment

Working...
                                X