>>>>> RIT TIGERS - Roaring into the postseason <<<<<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS - Roaring into the postseason <<<<<

The frozen four recruiting class takes the Tigers back to the promised land. For all the angst we as fans have had this year, this team is playing their best hockey in 5 years and they're doing it at just the right time. Who knows how this next part of the journey is going to to go. I doubt there is anyone among us who even dreamed this was a possibility.
    John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
    NCAA DII - 1983
    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by kwh7433 View Post
      All that bashing of Ruby and he just won them a championship.
      Hopefully we can put to bed that absurd "the team just plays better in front of Rotolo" narrative, too.

Comment

So just letting you guys know that during my quarterfinals matchup, I said the following about RIT women's hockey:

Ali Binnington spearheaded a goaltending trio for RIT that allowed just about two goals per game. The top-ranked Gophers outscored opponents 171-44 on the season. But the win by Bemidji proved someone could beat this team. So I’ll throw down on this one – if RIT beats Minnesota, I will don Tiger colors and post a short video doing some Corner Crew chants on Twitter. But since RIT is in position to pull off the first ever “double” between the CHA and AHC (win both the men’s and women’s title), I’ll do the same if the men win a league championship. Sorry, guys, but this is strictly business. Minnesota wins.
        Looks like I need to go learn me some chants. I'll have to find a way to get this posted for Chris. It'll happen, no timetable on when, but I look forward to joining up for the Corner Crew because of this.

Please feel free to submit to me some of your favorite chants so I know which ones I need to do. Dan.Rubin@uscho.com

Side bar comment - if I EVER, and I mean EVER, get to Rochester, I'm not working the game in the box. As long as it's not against Bentley, I'll join in with you guys in the crowd.

If it's Bentley, all bets are off. Congratulations again fellas.
        Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

CHAMPIONS!!!!

The whole team picked the right time to play their best hockey of the year (most definitely including Ruby). Can't wait to see if we can make some noise int he regional, but for now just soaking in the victory.
          RIT

Comment

Originally posted by unscarred76 View Post
            RIT 4 Canisius 1
            Mercyhurst 5 RMU 4 in OT

RIT 3 Mercyhurst 2 in final
            Remarkably close!

Powers &8^]

Comment

Well hello there friends.. Anything you'd like to share on your team would be awesome. Haven't seen them play this year.

Congrats on the AHA title and trip back to the big dance!
              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                Well hello there friends.. Anything you'd like to share on your team would be awesome. Haven't seen them play this year.

I'll try to sum up our team for you the best I can:

Overall, RIT is defensively strong. They've really come together down the stretch with the defensive pairings really working together to limit shots and scoring chances. That defense combined with the goaltending by Jordan Ruby has given up 7 goals in their last 6 games, which has been a big part in winning the AHC championship. Their penalty killing also reflects their good defense, ranking 7th in the nation (87.8%) over the entire season. Offensively, the Tigers rely heavily on their top scoring line. That line, which is lead by Hobey Baker Finalist Matt Garbowsky, is 2nd in the nation in scoring. Garbowsky, McGowan, and Mitchell all fall in the top 12 in the nation in points. Garbowsky is obviously the leader of the team being a Hobey Baker Finalist and winning conference player of the year (as a unanimous 1st-team all-AHC and winning the top defensive forward award for the conference as well). However, the entire line has great chemistry. The other lines have shown success here and there, but if they plan on going anywhere in the tournament, the top line has to light the lamp. I hope that sheds some light for you on the team. Us Tiger fans really think they can make some noise in the tournament this year, just like back in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post

Big first line anchored by Hobey Baker finalist and Atlantic Hockey player of the year Matt Garbowsky (also named best defensive forward in addition to winning the scoring race), a young but talented and definitely improving top 5 defensively consisting of two juniors and three freshmen, and goaltender who's shown flashes of big time ability but bouts of inconsistency who seems to have finally put it all together at the right time. In Atlantic Hockey they tend to dominate possession even in the games they lose - even outside of that top line - but while the other three lines seem to generate good pressure and cycle the puck well they can struggle to create scoring chances out of zone time.

They are certainly playing at least as well as any team over the past 5 years or so. I would say they're playing about as well the team the year after the Frozen Four run that was led by Favot, Brenner, and Madolora. That team struggled a little early in coping with the loss of their top pairing (one of whom, Chris Tanev, is now an established #2 for the Canucks, and Ringwald was a 26 year old overager who nonetheless made it to the AHL and had the best RIT career of any defenseman in the D-1 era). But by the end of the year they were firing on all cyclinders, winning the regular season conference title rather comfortably. Unfortunately that team ran into the old proverbial hot goalie against Air Force and lost the final 1-0 despite outshooting them something like 41-19 - a shot line that was not misleading when it came to scoring chances for each team.

Good to see decent attendance downtown despite break starting...I think even as it stands they'll see a boost in attendance next year. A repeat of 2009 would be nice though!

Comment

Originally posted by kwh7433 View Post
                    All that bashing of Ruby and he just won them a championship.
                    He finally showed the form that he was supposed to have when he was recruited. When RIT got him, he was on the list of draftable goalies. He never got drafted, but even getting that far shows that someone saw something about him. I don't think he really got rattled at all doing the entire playoffs.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                      He finally showed the form that he was supposed to have when he was recruited. When RIT got him, he was on the list of draftable goalies. He never got drafted, but even getting that far shows that someone saw something about him. I don't think he really got rattled at all doing the entire playoffs.
                      I could not agree more to this statement. He has become what Coach Wilson expected him to be.

As a fan, I could not be happier for this to happen. Do I think Rotolo could have done the same, YES but I couldn't be happier for Ruby taking us to the promise land.

Bottom line, he improved drastically throughout the season and Coach Wilson saw it and most of us didn't thus he is the Coach and we are on this forum.

R I T TIGERS CHAMPIONS
                      R I T HOCKEY
                      Frozen Four
                      Elite Eight
                      NCAA Tournament
                      2010-2015-2016
                      RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                        Bottom line, he improved drastically throughout the season and Coach Wilson saw it and most of us didn't thus he is the Coach and we are on this forum.
                        To be fair, all we see is the games -- and only some of them at that. We can only call 'em as we see 'em.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by unscarred76 View Post
                          RIT 4 Canisius 1
                          Mercyhurst 5 RMU 4 in OT

RIT 3 Mercyhurst 2 in final
                          Nice call! Congratulations to both the Men's and Women's hockey teams this year for making it a memorable season for the first year at the GPC!
                          RIT TIGERS
                          Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                          Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions/NCAA Tournament 2010, 2015, 2016
                          Frozen Four 2010
                          The Gene Polisseni Center @ RIT

Comment

Thanks. I'll give a run down of the Mavericks later today, possibly in the regional thread where we're placed.
                            AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by RITFan67 View Post
                              Nice call! Congratulations to both the Men's and Women's hockey teams this year for making it a memorable season for the first year at the GPC!
                              This has been a year that will be long remembered. How often does a university get to celebrate a new arena, two conference championships, and a Hobey Baker finalist in the same year? (Now if only Binnington had been healthy all year and made the top ten Patty Kaz list...)

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                                To be fair, all we see is the games -- and only some of them at that. We can only call 'em as we see 'em.

Powers &8^]
                                Congratulations to RIT and Mr. Ruby in particular.
                                He has always been a talented goalie but like the rest of us he has his ups and downs. it takes a team to win and a team to lose.
                                Good for the Tigers and eat me raw next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X