Harvard Crimson 2014-2015: Restoring the Karma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2014-2015: Restoring the Karma

BTW -- I don't really care THAT much. Just had to get some opinions off my chest. The Crimson made their bed with their awful January/February record. If they can't make it through their bracket, they don't deserve a spot at the TD Garden and that's true of any team. I'm just grateful I'll be able to watch Saturday's game on WatchESPN on my Amazon Fire TV. Though I'll have to look for a place to watch the game on Sunday if they can beat UNO. Go Crimson!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
      NoDak is playing in their home building which is a very tough place to win. They still have an abundance of talent and a very good goalie. Quinny will not have Anas I believe and they just got fed to the wolves. But that's why we play the games.
      is it their home rink?
      head coach said on selection show that it "was nice to be playing only 75 miles away"

Comment

First things first: Sincere congrats to your guys from a Cambridge native and alum of the only Beanpot school that didn't make it to the dance.

So far as next weekend goes: Remember that the field comprising the regional bracket is much more important than where it is played. There is no doubt in my mind that when Harvard is on its game, it can beat any of the other three teams in the Midwest Bracket. So, In my mind, you already have the inside track to the Gahden.

And having been to South Bend myself, here's a couple of tips. Try to fly directly into South Bend Airport (SBN), instead of Chicago. There are frequent flights into South Bend from Detroit, so save yourself some hassle by bypassing the need to rent a car or take a bus from Chicago. For lodging, remember that there are two parts to South Bend: Downtown and Eddy Commons. The latter is directly across from the ND campus and rink. Everything is within walking distance. Problem is that there was only one hotel (a Fairfield) in that part of town the last time I looked.

Plenty of Irish pubs tho. Good luck.
        Last edited by Split-N; 03-22-2015, 02:43 PM.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
          NoDak is playing in their home building....
          Not true. UND is located in Grand Forks, not Fargo. I've never been there but from what I'm told, the Fargo building isn't nearly as nice as "The Ralph" (their home building).
          Last edited by Split-N; 03-22-2015, 02:44 PM.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
            Not true. UND is located in Grand Forks, not Fargo. I've never been there but from what I'm told, the Fargo building isn't nearly as nice as "The Ralph" (their home building).
            very dingy building. poor lighting, crap town.
            .not close to the other venues

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
              NoDak is playing in their home building which is a very tough place to win. They still have an abundance of talent and a very good goalie. Quinny will not have Anas I believe and they just got fed to the wolves. But that's why we play the games.
              is it their home rink?
              head coach said on selection show that it "was nice to be playing only 75 miles away"

Comment

They're hosting, but Engelstad (and the campus), is in Grand Forks...which is another town. Fargo is just about the halfway point between Minneapolis and Winnipeg.

Comment

Congrats Harvard on winning the Whitelaw. Good luck in South Bend.
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                  ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                  East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                  Northeast Regional:
                  West Regional: 2015, 2021
                  Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                  Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                    Right. Sorry. I should have known better.

Comment

There is blood in the water ..... I smell a National Championship.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                        So who can weigh in on UNO? From what I hear, they play a run n gun style and have struggled in the 2nd half of the season. Are they healthy? Injured? Who are the players to watch out for and what are their strengths and challenges? What types of teams have had success against them this year? It will be interesting to see if they can match the speed and skill of Harvard's forwards.

I know very little about them and have not seen them play so would love some folks to weigh in.
                        Stick your nose in my UNO season thread or the Midwest Regional thread.

Harvard fan is definitely underrepresented in the Regional thread at this writing.

Question: Do all Harvard fans and their students sound like Charles Emerson Winchester III?

That actually was postulated upon at the tourney watch party here in Omaha this morning by certain individuals that probably drank a few too many Bloody Mary's, I am embarrassed to say. I reminded these classless cruds at the table next to us that said this that the current President of the United States is a Harvard grad.

I/we know know as little about your team as you do about yours, apparently. Our head coaches appear well-acquainted, though:

http://www.omaha.com/uno/uno-hockey-...40a1df825.html

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                          Stick your nose in my UNO season thread or the Midwest Regional thread.

Harvard fan is definitely underrepresented in the Regional thread at this writing.

Question: Do all Harvard fans and their students sound like Charles Emerson Winchester III?

That actually was postulated upon at the tourney watch party here in Omaha this morning by certain individuals that probably drank a few too many Bloody Mary's, I am embarrassed to say. I reminded these classless cruds at the table next to us that said this that the current President of the United States is a Harvard grad.

I/we know know as little about your team as you do about yours, apparently. Our head coaches appear well-acquainted, though:

http://www.omaha.com/uno/uno-hockey-...40a1df825.html
                          No, we don't all sound like Major Winchester, although some do. Harvard students and alumni/alumnae are from all over the United States and all parts of the world. For every student with a name like Godfrey Cabot Lowell there are dozens named O'Connor, Russo, Cohen and Wong.

I am forced to admit that Mr Obama is an alumnus, but of the Law School, not Harvard College. Please do not hold that against us.

Our hockey team is drawn from a wide area. One difference is that most come to Harvard directly from high schools/boarding schools. Based on programs that I have read I gather that at many schools the players have spent a year or two playing hockey between high school and college. Like all the Ivies Harvard does not have athletic scholarships and is constrained by the Academic Index (AI). To briefly summarize, the AI is calculated based on GPI, class rank and SAT scores. The mean AI of all entering varsity athletes must be within one standard deviation of the mean AI of the entering class. Some hockey players go on to careers in hockey (such as our current coach, Ted Donato (H '91) ) others go into many other fields. The current head of state of Canada, Governor General David Johnston (H '63) , was an All American at Harvard. I understand that at 73 he still skates like the wind.

I am forced to confess that I know little of Omaha, Nebraska. I do know my grandparents, in 1909, went there for their honeymoon. I also recall that in 1994 my (then but now former) wife was a naval officer and spent two weeks TDY at USSTRATCOM at Offut AFB in February. She often described those weeks as the longest year of her life but that was not due to the people in Nebraska but the fact that a much loved aunt was dying in Boston when she was at Offut.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                            No, we don't all sound like Major Winchester, although some do. Harvard students and alumni/alumnae are from all over the United States and all parts of the world. For every student with a name like Godfrey Cabot Lowell there are dozens named O'Connor, Russo, Cohen and Wong.

I am forced to admit that Mr Obama is an alumnus, but of the Law School, not Harvard College. Please do not hold that against us.

Our hockey team is drawn from a wide area. One difference is that most come to Harvard directly from high schools/boarding schools. Based on programs that I have read I gather that at many schools the players have spent a year or two playing hockey between high school and college. Like all the Ivies Harvard does not have athletic scholarships and is constrained by the Academic Index (AI). To briefly summarize, the AI is calculated based on GPI, class rank and SAT scores. The mean AI of all entering varsity athletes must be within one standard deviation of the mean AI of the entering class. Some hockey players go on to careers in hockey (such as our current coach, Ted Donato (H '91) ) others go into many other fields. The current head of state of Canada, Governor General David Johnston (H '63) , was an All American at Harvard. I understand that at 73 he still skates like the wind.

I am forced to confess that I know little of Omaha, Nebraska. I do know my grandparents, in 1909, went there for their honeymoon. I also recall that in 1994 my (then but now former) wife was a naval officer and spent two weeks TDY at USSTRATCOM at Offut AFB in February. She often described those weeks as the longest year of her life but that was not due to the people in Nebraska but the fact that a much loved aunt was dying in Boston when she was at Offut.
                            I don't know much about this years team either, but without verifying I believe the coach is still Dean Blais who was coach at North Dakota until a several year stint coaching in the NHL. His UND teams skated extremely well and transitioned like, well, Harvard in 1989. In Omaha they are in the midst of some of the most fertile USHL recruiting grounds and do draw most of their players from there. My brother in law is a Harvard alum and his father and grandfather were both named to the all-time Yale teams in some book about the history of Yale hockey. He is about as normal a guy as there is. Really hope Harvard gets to play in Boston again this season.
                            9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                            1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

In October they played two against Cornell .... tied and won. They split a pair against UNH in late December. They played six against St. Cloud going 2-4. BTW Union, Colgate and Q all split a pair against St. Cloud, who was picked to be a final 4 preseason. They are 12-8-4 league and 18-12-6 overall but have quality wins against Minn State, Minnesota Duluth, Miami, Denver, North Dakota which is about everyone who is anyone in that part of the country.

Since January 1

In League
                              In league play 2.65 - 2.35 in team Offense - Defense
                              League leading in killing the power play 83.7
                              Don't take a lot of penalties 11.27
                              Goalie leads league .932 & 2.1407
                              Since January 1 (6-7-3)
                              Since February 1 (2-5-3)

Since Feb 1 Goals (1.7/2.0)

Have no idea about injuries.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Things have changed a little bit as far as where the Crimson players come from.Of the 31 players on their roster,21 played juniors while 8 came straight from preps and 2 directly from high school.
                                We're not here for a long time,we're here for a good time.

Comment

Working...
                                X