WCHA Playoffs Round 1: Ohio State @ North Dakota 2/27 - 3/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA Playoffs Round 1: Ohio State @ North Dakota 2/27 - 3/1

On paper, North Dakota clearly has an edge in this one. They took 10 of a possible 12 points from Ohio State this season. However, all three wins were one goal games (4-3, 1-0, 1-0), so I think this series may be more evenly matched then some think. Ohio State has been playing some decent hockey of late, despite getting swept at UMD. The week before that, they were able to knock off Wisconsin on Senior Night 4-3. The key for Ohio State will be scoring goals. The big question for us Buckeye fans will be, can we score on Shelby Amsley-Benzie? That's a good question as Amsley-Benzie earned two shutouts the last time the teams met in Columbus. Ohio State's lone points in the series this season came on a shootout win in Grand Forks. Before I close this up, congratulations to North Dakota and their fans on this season. Finishing third in this league is something to be proud of! UND fans, feel free to contribute here. I really need to make a trip to The Ralph someday. Based on the pictures I have seen, that place is an absolute college hockey cathedral, arguably the best college hockey arena in the country. Good luck to both teams and hopefully we have a highly competitive, injury-free series!

Re: WCHA Playoffs Round 1: Ohio State @ North Dakota 2/27 - 3/1

North Dakota took game one last night by a final score of 5-2. Ohio State took a 2-1 lead into the third period, then UND came back with two goals of their own to take a 3-2 lead. UND added a couple of empty netters for the final score of 5-2. Fast forward to today's game ... it is tied 1-1 early in the third period, but UND is on a power play.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
      North Dakota took game one last night by a final score of 5-2. Ohio State took a 2-1 lead into the third period, then UND came back with two goals of their own to take a 3-2 lead. UND added a couple of empty netters for the final score of 5-2. Fast forward to today's game ... it is tied 1-1 early in the third period, but UND is on a power play.
      Tough triple overtime loss for the Buckeyes today, osualum86. From the shot totals (37-42) it looks like it was a very even game.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

It's a shame; I was really hoping the series would go three games. Wait, what? Triple overtime? We DID play three games this weekend.

So close to greater things...

Regardless, the season was great fun -- beginning to end. Sincere thanks to the players and coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          It's a shame; I was really hoping the series would go three games. Wait, what? Triple overtime? We DID play three games this weekend.

So close to greater things...

Regardless, the season was great fun -- beginning to end. Sincere thanks to the players and coaches.
          3 overtimes with UND? In the playoff? That sounds familiar. Did it end with the goal scorer getting a vicious cross-check in the back? Oh, wait UND scored the winner so #4 was probably not even on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
            3 overtimes with UND? In the playoff? That sounds familiar. Did it end with the goal scorer getting a vicious cross-check in the back? Oh, wait UND scored the winner so #4 was probably not even on the ice.
            Why the jabs all the time? How old are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
              Why the jabs all the time? How old are you?
              You mean you don't like cheap shots either? Good because they tick me off, to words not permitted on this forum. But she'll be gone soon, I'll probably let it go then.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Tough triple overtime loss for the Buckeyes today, osualum86. From the shot totals (37-42) it looks like it was a very even game.
                Thanks for the update D2D! I was following the game and saw the final result. Tough way to end the season, especially for our six seniors who gave so much heart and effort to get this program moving in the right direction. As Pgb alluded to, it was a fun and exciting season. With the recruiting class Coach Nate Handrahan has coming in next season, I am already looking forward to next season!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                  Thanks for the update D2D! I was following the game and saw the final result. Tough way to end the season, especially for our six seniors who gave so much heart and effort to get this program moving in the right direction. As Pgb alluded to, it was a fun and exciting season. With the recruiting class Coach Nate Handrahan has coming in next season, I am already looking forward to next season!
                  I hope for your sake that your coach as lined up some goal scorers. Seems be all that is lacking on your team. Have a terrific off season.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                    I hope for your sake that your coach as lined up some goal scorers. Seems be all that is lacking on your team. Have a terrific off season.
                    Yeah, agree with that wholeheartedly. We had trouble scoring goals this season, and that was our undoing in most of the losses. Our goaltending and blueliners should be solid next season, although we do lose some of those players (the Schmitt twins and Kara Gust) to graduation. Based on what I have read about our 2015 recruiting class, there will be some goal scorers coming in. We'll see if we can get enough scoring next season to vault us into the top four and home ice in the first round of the WCHA Playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                    X