PDA

View Full Version : UNO @ SCSU Feb 20 and 21: Will the real St. Cloud PLEASE stand up?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

SCSU Euro
02-16-2015, 09:23 PM
SCSU comes off a split in Duluth, UNO coming off a split hosting Western.

I think most people here feel St. Cloud played well enough where they probably should've gotten points in the earlier series between these two. Revenge is a dish best served cold. Luckily its pretty cold in St. Cloud in February. (Actually Friday and Saturday are supposed to be pretty warm for this time of year, but Nebraskans won't like 20 degrees as a high)

5thYearFreshman
02-17-2015, 08:49 AM
Luckily its pretty cold in St. Cloud in February. (Actually Friday and Saturday are supposed to be pretty warm for this time of year, but Nebraskans won't like 20 degrees as a high)

Luckily, most of the guys on the team are Minnesotans

gomavs#1
02-17-2015, 10:45 AM
(Actually Friday and Saturday are supposed to be pretty warm for this time of year, but Nebraskans won't like 20 degrees as a high)

The windchill here is -2 today. 20 degrees will feel tropical. In fact, I'm thinking of making the trip just to get away from this cold weather.

scsutommyboy
02-17-2015, 11:29 AM
SCSU comes off a split in Duluth, UNO coming off a split hosting Western.

I think most people here feel St. Cloud played well enough where they probably should've gotten points in the earlier series between these two. Revenge is a dish best served cold. Luckily its pretty cold in St. Cloud in February. (Actually Friday and Saturday are supposed to be pretty warm for this time of year, but Nebraskans won't like 20 degrees as a high)

I am pretty sure the average high for this time of year is close to 30 degrees. We are in a deep freeze, not warm for this time of year..... Lol Just saying :)

scsutommyboy
02-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Huskies need a sweep in a big way. Isn't this the time of year the Mav's usually swoon? Let's hope this weekend is the start of their annual Swoon......

5thYearFreshman
02-17-2015, 11:58 AM
Huskies need a sweep in a big way. Isn't this the time of year the Mav's usually swoon? Let's hope this weekend is the start of their annual Swoon......

Two weekends early, the Mavs collapse in March

Tipsy McStagger
02-17-2015, 12:25 PM
Using the CHN Pairwise Customize feature I ran some possible scenarios.

If we split the next three series, that would put us at 16th in the Pairwise.
If we split the UND series, and split one and sweep the other of UNO and Denver, that would put us at 14th.
If we sweep the UNO and Denver series and split against North Dakota, that would put us at at 9th.

Obviously these aren't exact and would change depending on the results of other games. But this tells me that we basically need to go 4-2 in these last 6 games. If you switch one of the UNO games to a St. Cloud win (the Friday one where the horrendous call against Brodzinski decided the game), SCSU is at 14th in the pairwise. 14th isn't a lock to be in, but definitely a lot better position that we are in now.

5thYearFreshman
02-17-2015, 01:34 PM
Using the CHN Pairwise Customize feature I ran some possible scenarios.

If we split the next three series, that would put us at 16th in the Pairwise.
If we split the UND series, and split one and sweep the other of UNO and Denver, that would put us at 14th.
If we sweep the UNO and Denver series and split against North Dakota, that would put us at at 9th.

Obviously these aren't exact and would change depending on the results of other games. But this tells me that we basically need to go 4-2 in these last 6 games. If you switch one of the UNO games to a St. Cloud win (the Friday one where the horrendous call against Brodzinski decided the game), SCSU is at 14th in the pairwise. 14th isn't a lock to be in, but definitely a lot better position that we are in now.

And if my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle.

Really though, I like to see St. Cloud do well, just not this weekend

Sweep Denver and UND, get swept by UNO. Works for me

Tipsy McStagger
02-17-2015, 01:44 PM
And if my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle.

Really though, I like to see St. Cloud do well, just not this weekend

Sweep Denver and UND, get swept by UNO. Works for me
And if UNO didn't suck, they might have more than 2 NCAA appearances in 17 years.

There is zero chance St. Cloud gets swept by UNO this weekend.

5thYearFreshman
02-17-2015, 03:47 PM
And if UNO didn't suck, they might have more than 2 NCAA appearances in 17 years.

I may be wrong, but UNO's 1st 17 years have produced the same number of Div. I tourney wins that SCSU's first 17 years did.

gomavs#1
02-17-2015, 04:08 PM

Zero chance? There has to be SOME chance, doesn't there? I mean, even the slightest chance? Little bit of chance?

The Exiled One
02-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Obviously these aren't exact and would change depending on the results of other games. But this tells me that we basically need to go 4-2 in these last 6 games.
The problem is the Huskies have a minimum of eight games remaining. If they go 5-3 (or even 5-4) they could just slip into the NCAA tourney. It's no use focusing on just the next six games if they're guaranteed to play eight.

Tipsy McStagger
02-18-2015, 08:00 AM
Zero chance? There has to be SOME chance, doesn't there? I mean, even the slightest chance? Little bit of chance?
No
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMp8aDH8d9M

Tipsy McStagger
02-18-2015, 08:29 AM
The problem is the Huskies have a minimum of eight games remaining. If they go 5-3 (or even 5-4) they could just slip into the NCAA tourney. It's no use focusing on just the next six games if they're guaranteed to play eight.
Ok, then run some scenarios for 8 games.

At 3-3 or worse in the next 6, you basically have to get the auto bid. If you go 3-3 in the next 6 you are probably at or below 16. You would need a sweep on the road first round (very unlikely), then go to Target Center and go 1-1 to move up from 16.

So I disagree that it is no use focusing on the next six.

gomavs#1
02-18-2015, 10:13 AM
You would need a sweep on the road first round (very unlikely)

Not entirely true...if you get sent to Omaha I could nearly guarantee a sweep. We thoroughly enjoy letting teams come to our house and knock us out of the playoffs.

The Exiled One
02-18-2015, 10:29 AM
At 3-3 or worse in the next 6, you basically have to get the auto bid. If you go 3-3 in the next 6 you are probably at or below 16. You would need a sweep on the road first round (very unlikely), then go to Target Center and go 1-1 to move up from 16.
I don't know that it's that unlikely. WMU, DU, and Miami all managed to do it last year. I'd say it's just about as likely as sweeping any of the next three series. Long story short, they just need to have barely more wins than losses and they have a good chance to extend their season.

SCSU Euro
02-18-2015, 06:00 PM
I may be wrong, but UNO's 1st 17 years have produced the same number of Div. I tourney wins that SCSU's first 17 years did.

And in the first 40+ years the LA Kings had no Stanley Cups. Now they have two. I'm sorry, did you have a point coming and I just got impatient?

I don't know that it's that unlikely. WMU, DU, and Miami all managed to do it last year. I'd say it's just about as likely as sweeping any of the next three series. Long story short, they just need to have barely more wins than losses and they have a good chance to extend their season.

Actually Tipsy said a road SWEEP, so only Miami and Western did that, it took Denver 3 games.

And if we're going to worry about all 8 games, then you might as well worry about 9. Bc 8 games means we got swept in the first round. So unless we win the next 6 then lose 2, I don't see many scenarios where we get into the dance if we only have 8 games between now and then.

There's another way to approach this: take care of the next 60 minutes. Here's an old scsuhockey.com mantra: JWF. Just Win Friday.

Red Cows
02-19-2015, 08:32 AM
I'll be happy with a split in this series. That's all we really need.

It's definitely cold. I have been in Minneapolis since Tuesday night (before driving to St. Cloud Friday afternoon for this weekend) and, sure, it's cold. But we have plenty of weather like this in Omaha from time to time ourselves. There's more snow in Omaha right now than here, too.

UNO has not been a great team on Olympic ice in the Blais era. Biggest concern I have this weekend. That is a pretty big intangible in my book.

The Exiled One
02-19-2015, 09:03 AM
Actually Tipsy said a road SWEEP, so only Miami and Western did that, it took Denver 3 games.
Sorry, I guess only 50% of the NCHC first round series were road sweeps. Obviously terrible, terrible odds. /s

And if we're going to worry about all 8 games, then you might as well worry about 9. Bc 8 games means we got swept in the first round. So unless we win the next 6 then lose 2, I don't see many scenarios where we get into the dance if we only have 8 games between now and then.
So 5-3 won't cut it? A sweep this weekend, a split at UND, and a sweep against DU followed by a quick exit from the NCHC playoffs won't get us in? I'm pretty sure it puts us on the bubble.

There's another way to approach this: take care of the next 60 minutes. Here's an old scsuhockey.com mantra: JWF. Just Win Friday.
Agreed.

5thYearFreshman
02-19-2015, 09:36 AM
UNO has not been a great team on Olympic ice in the Blais era. Biggest concern I have this weekend. That is a pretty big intangible in my book.

Maybe UNO has struggled on the big sheet, but Blais is 2-1-1 against St. Cloud in the Herb and 8-4-2 overall.