PDA

View Full Version : UNO @ SCSU Feb 20 and 21: Will the real St. Cloud PLEASE stand up?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Red Cows
02-22-2015, 12:25 AM
SCSU fans are terrible at walking through the aisles or in front of you when the game is going on. They have attendants on the press box side, but the suite side is terrible

No attendants that I saw, anywhere. This was an issue both nights in two entirely different levels of the arena, too. I thought Minnesota hockey fans are purists about such things and would be more anal about this than they clearly are. In Omaha, you aren't going near your seat until there is a stoppage in play. EVERY usher holds big signs telling you aren't going to be, either.

RL3AO
02-22-2015, 12:27 AM
No attendants that I saw, anywhere. This was an issue both nights in two entirely different levels of the arena, too. I thought Minnesota hockey fans are purists about such things and would be more anal about this than they clearly are. In Omaha, you aren't going near your seat until there is a stoppage in play. EVERY usher holds big signs telling you aren't going to be, either.

That was the first time the entire season I didn't see ushers at every section entrance. Have do idea why that would be the case.

Red Cows
02-22-2015, 12:29 AM
Does the puck always bounce around on the ice surface as badly as it did this weekend? Tonight was better, but the pucks were bouncing everywhere Definitely an advantage to SCSU as they stickhandle amazingly

I thought it was just "me". I noticed this, too. Pretty clearly was an issue for both teams.

Red Cows
02-22-2015, 01:12 AM
As Laura Ingalls Wilder's mom always said to her, "There is no great loss without some gain".

Well, I finally got to see games at the NHC. I got to meet First Time, Long Time, 5thYearFreshman, made good on buying beers for SCSU Euro, who I owed one to, great guys all, and we got to see our seat "neighbors" from the the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, that also made the trip, who also happen to be the parents of 5thYearFreshman. And, we got to see an epic, exciting, up and down game on Friday night.

On the flip side was an inexcusable loss by UNO on Friday night followed by a pretty poor effort the following night that pretty much dispelled any notion that when things get tough for UNO, the tough get going.

I think I should have couched my expectations and remembered that, despite what UNO HAS accomplished this season, it is a team that started with 11 newcomers (now 10) this season and that the Peter Principle was likely, at some point in the season, going to enter into the picture. And, after this weekend, it appears to have done so. I've said in other places in this forum that my REAL hopes for this team are for NEXT season and this series reminded me of that in spades. We may yet eke our way into the NCAA tourney, but this team just doesn't have the experience to make it very easy to foresee what they might or might not do the rest of the season. Anything short of a split next weekend in Duluth is a disaster. The following weekend, I don't how much benefit we'd derive from sweeping CC in Omaha even if we do it. At this point in the season, there is no upside to playing them, only potential downside.

SCSU fans I talked to tonight after the game thought tonight's game was their best effort of the season. If so, then maybe I feel a tad better. That said, I knew this would be a tough weekend, being on Olympic ice, and playing a Frozen 4 team from last season. UNO pretty much played SCSU right into NCAA tourney contention this weekend. If SCSU can split the next two series, their chance of getting in are pretty **** good, I would think.

We definitely did not play with the same intensity that we did Friday night at all and I can only surmise that our guys were somewhat shell-shocked from that game and it carried over into tonight. I'm sure, given the way UNO lost the game Friday, that they, to a man, probably felt like somebody had just punched their mom. As I said, it was as shocking a loss as I have ever seen the way it transpired. Doesn't get any easier in Duluth next weekend although I think they are a team we match up better with than SCSU.

Onward and upward, I hope.

MagnessMan
02-22-2015, 01:23 AM
Just watched the highlights from both games. It looks like the Cloudies are playing good hockey. Right now the conference has 6 teams in the top 14 of the PWR. I expect SCSU will move up as we move into March. Good luck next weekend at the Ralph and looking forward to our games up there in two weeks.

scsutommyboy
02-22-2015, 10:16 AM

St. Cloud is not a hockey town. I went to school there for five years and had season tickets for 15 and that drove me nuts. the core season tocket holders know not to do that, but that is about it.

Husckey Domi Nation
02-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Huge sweep by the good guys!

Charlie slams the door on UNO during a game produced by Husky Productions that was advertised and broadcast by Fox Sports North throughout the Twin Cities.

Finally I'll be interested in Bracketology this season.

Hail St. Cloud!

SCSU Euro
02-23-2015, 08:18 PM
So after reading responses from both teams, here are my thoughts:

Granted I only saw highlights from this Friday's game, and while I was pretty intoxicated for the Omaha series, I did see 3 of the 4 games live and the other game the highlights. UNO fans may be upset for not getting any points this weekend, but would a split in Omaha and a split in Cloud have made you feel better? I think a season series split is probably a fitting outcome, and if not, I think St. Cloud probably was the more deserving team to have taken more than 6 points in the four games. That being said, they were all really close; two one-goal games, a two-goal game with an empty netter, and then a two-goal game in which UNO got a power play with an extra attacker opportunity.

I am not saying the collapse won't happen, but I also don't think its imminent. UNO is a good team, but I've never thought they were going to be in contention for first, even when they were sitting alone in first. I feel they'd caught some good bounces here and there and eventually they'd have some go against them. Overall the two teams have scored and given up the exact same number of goals, and in conference play we've scored one more and surrendered five less, yet UNO's is 4 points clear of us and they're in 8th instead of 14th in the PWR, so things could be worse.

As odd as it sounds, I was more impressed with UNO this past weekend than I was in Omaha. Earlier I thought they were a run and gun team that inflated Massa's numbers bc opponents realized UNO would score a lot and Massa was likely the weak link so they dumped a lot of shots on net. I still think that's partially true, but they did a pretty good job defensively, we just put the clamps down even better on Saturday.

Big weekend coming up for UNO, as either they or UMD can probably kiss home ice goodbye if they get swept.

Biddco
02-23-2015, 08:20 PM
Big weekend coming up for UNO, as either they or UMD can probably kiss home ice goodbye if they get swept.

And I'm cool with that. :eek: