Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO @ SCSU Feb 20 and 21: Will the real St. Cloud PLEASE stand up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO @ SCSU Feb 20 and 21: Will the real St. Cloud PLEASE stand up?

I see the NCHC predictions on USCHO have UNO sweeping St. Cloud. Don't see that happening. Guessing a split. UNO wins Friday, SCSU wins Saturday. Going to be a tough task without Zombo, but if Massa plays as well as he has recently, UNO should squeak one out.
    If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Originally posted by 5thYearFreshman View Post
      Man, St. Cloud has a high opinion of their team. I have been trying to sell tickets all day and can't give them away
      Good luck. Looks like there are plenty of tickets left at the box office, so maybe you shouldn't have purchased excess tickets to a game that's not close to sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
        Can somebody tell me if there is any actual (free, and/or pay) parking right close to the NHC? As familiar as I am with St. Cloud, I don't know the SCSU campus at all. I'm taking MC's shuttle on Saturday night but I may want to park at the arena Friday as I am unsure when I will be getting up there on Friday. Plus, looks like it will be snowing some, too, now.
        Parking is free on campus on the weekends. I believe after 4pm. They have huge lots directly south of the arena and they are all free.
        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Man, St. Cloud has a high opinion of their team. I have been trying to sell tickets all day and can't give them away
          Peopel don't care about the team any more. It is quite sad considering they have won their conference title the last two years. There was a time for a 5 or 6 year stretch it was hard to get a ticket.
          I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
            Peopel don't care about the team any more. It is quite sad considering they have won their conference title the last two years. There was a time for a 5 or 6 year stretch it was hard to get a ticket.
            The late '90s/early 2000s will probably never come back. 5100 for a Gopher game is disappointing when we used to get 7051 for every Gopher and Sioux game. However, it does appear to me that they are more accurately counting attendance, so that while the official average is way down, the actual attendance isn't down as much. Also, back in the '90s when I was frequently attending games in high school, student tickets were $10 and I think adult tickets were $15. I attended my first game in St. Cloud in 4 or 5 years this past Nov. vs. UMD and tickets were either $30 or $40, depending on location. I realize there has been some inflation, but that's still a big jump. I wouldn't be surprised if ticket revenue is higher these days, even with lower attendance and adjusted for inflation, due to the significantly higher ticket prices.
            Last edited by HumRsky; 02-20-2015, 03:58 PM.
            SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
            UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
            Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
            Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
            UMD Football: 2008, 2010
            UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Currently sitting at the bar at the "Home of the Hairy Buffalo" in the Granite City w/Mrs. Red Cows.

Comment

Currently sitting at the bar at the "Home of the Hairy Buffalo" in the Granite City w/Mrs. Red Cows.
                Whichever the strongest one (Naked Buffalo?) is, I did 3 on my birthday one year and don't remember much after
                UNO Maverick fan and Gopher hater, stuck in Husky country...

Comment

Very strange.

Coach Blais just walked into MC's, went to the back of the bar, and then left a couple minutes later. Could not see from the bar what he might have been doing. Was wearing the suit and tie that he'll presumably be wearing on the bench tonight.

Is MC's some old WCHA haunt for him, or something? As I write this there is only like 20 people in the place and we are the only ones sporting UNO gear.

Comment

Whichever the strongest one (Naked Buffalo?) is, I did 3 on my birthday one year and don't remember much after
                    The bartender tells me it's the "Shaved Buffalo". He says if you had 3 he totally understands why you don't remember.

Comment

Very strange.

Coach Blais just walked into MC's, went to the back of the bar, and then left a couple minutes later. Could not see from the bar what he might have been doing. Was wearing the suit and tie that he'll presumably be wearing on the bench tonight.

Is MC's some old WCHA haunt for him, or something? As I write this there is only like 20 people in the place and we are the only ones sporting UNO gear.
                      Blaiser needed a taste before the game. Classic Blais. Like they say, you can take the coach out of North Dakota, but you can't take the North Dakota out of the coach.

Comment

The Huskies were lucky to come away with a win. UNO outplayed us for probably 45 minutes of the game. They had more jump tonight and probably have more offensive skill than the Huskies but a couple of goals created by hustle at the end of the game won it for us. Up to a tie for 13th in the Pairwise.

WE'RE COMIN!!!
                        Originally posted by SJHovey
                        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                        Originally posted by Brenthoven
                        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                          The Huskies were lucky to come away with a win. UNO outplayed us for probably 45 minutes of the game. They had more jump tonight and probably have more offensive skill than the Huskies but a couple of goals created by hustle at the end of the game won it for us. Up to a tie for 13th in the Pairwise.

WE'RE COMIN!!!
                          As shocking and disappointing a UNO loss as I have ever seen. Championship teams don't lose games in regulation that you are winning with 3:04 left in the game where you have all the momentum (hah!). 2 even strength goals 16 seconds apart? I've said several times, previously, that all these freshmen would bite us in the butt at some point and tonight was another one of those games where that happened, methinks. There have been at least three others this season.

The game tying goal should have never gone in and I bet Massa would say so, himself.

Even more tragic was that Austin Ortega scored UNO's 3rd goal. Had the 3-2 lead held up that he gave UNO with that goal, he'd have broken the all time NCAA record for game winners in a single season that he is now tied with several other players, still, at 10.

My first ever trip to the NHC. Always nice to see cheerleaders that skate. Somebody want to explain to me why SCSU still has WCHA logos on the interior walls of the arena? Or why they have logos of teams on the interior arena wall that aren't even in their conference (some of the current WCHA teams) and, some that never have been (like of old CCHA teams like Ohio State)?

Pretty fair number of UNO fans in evidence. I would guess there were upwards of 100 or so. I bet there are more tomorrow night. The building was maybe 2/3rds full, which surprised me since SCSU certainly still is playing for something and, even though it was supposed to be a "Redout" night at the arena, there was not very many people wearing it. Black was by far the most preponderant color in the building.

Just like in every Minnesota arena I have seen UNO play in, the kids at the game actually are watching and paying attention to the game. In fact, in a lot of cases, even more so than the adults that are with them. The kid in front of me who looked 7 or 8 was just screaming at the refs for calls against UNO. Not so, kids at UNO games. They aren't watching and in a lot of cases are even disruptive. Always been that way, too.

I don't want to dig on the arena itself too much, but, the place doesn't really have a lot of atmosphere. I don't think the low hanging ceiling helps that, either. The corridors at each end of the rink that allow access to the other side of the arena are very odd. Very narrow and unlit, besides? Cheapest concession prices I have ever seen, anywhere. But, a very small selection. For UNO fans that have not been here, the concourses (and restrooms) are somewhat similar to that of the soon-to-be-torn-down Omaha Civic Auditorium. The pressbox is an open air affair at the top of the upper level on one side of the arena. They have cheap fluorescent light fixtures that hang down from the ceiling over the pressbox area for lighting. The pressbox set-up is, I dunno, the best way I can put it is, amusing. Another real problem with the building is the P.A. system is horrendous and nearly everything said by the P.A. announcer is completely unintelligible. No band at SCSU games, either, just like UNO. My wife didn't care for the building at all, but, I thought it had a certain charm. Somebody know what year it was built?

Need the game tomorrow night in a bad way. We'll see if the boys can get off the deck, dust themselves off, and go get them tomorrow night.

Comment

My first ever trip to the NHC. Always nice to see cheerleaders that skate. Somebody want to explain to me why SCSU still has WCHA logos on the interior walls of the arena? Or why they have logos of teams on the interior arena wall that aren't even in their conference (some of the current WCHA teams) and, some that never have been (like of old CCHA teams like Ohio State)?
                            We have a women's team that plays in the WCHA. Ohio State also plays in that conference.

And the arena opened in 1989.

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
                              We have a women's team that plays in the WCHA. Ohio State also plays in that conference.

And the arena opened in 1989.
                              Doh!

Forgot that SCSU has a women's team. That said, I didn't see any NCHC logo in the building. Did I miss it? I didn't see a UNO logo in there, either. We sat in the upper level right in front of the pressbox and the ceiling is so low that you can't see the other side of the arena, really. Not straight across, anyway, at all.

I gotta say, the arena has more of a '60's or '70's feel to it, to me. Not 1989. I notice that the listed capacity is 5,763, it sure doesn't seem/feel that big. My guess would have like a 1000 or so less than that number.

Comment

Doh!

Forgot that SCSU has a women's team. That said, I didn't see any NCHC logo in the building. Did I miss it? I didn't see a UNO logo in there, either. We sat in the upper level right in front of the pressbox and the ceiling is so low that you can't see the other side of the arena, really. Not straight across, anyway, at all.

I gotta say, the arena has more of a '60's or '70's feel to it, to me. Not 1989. I notice that the listed capacity is 5,763, it sure doesn't seem/feel that big. My guess would have like a 1000 or so less than that number.
                                I can't recall about the NCHC logos, I typically only make it to 2-4 games per year in St. Cloud these days, but I know there are NCHC logos on the ice. I am pretty sure they have those team banners hung for every NCHC and WCHA women's team. One of the locals can surely correct me if I am wrong.

It definitely was built in a, umm, very utilitarian fashion. I think that capacity figure is probably pretty accurate, though. Not long ago almost every game would have reported attendance at 6,000 or better, but most of us believe there was some creative accounting with those numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X