PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota @ Penn State: 2/20 & 2/21

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Driftryder
02-16-2015, 08:57 AM
Minnesota travels to play Penn State this weekend for a series with the Nittany Lions. Friday's game is at 5:30 central and on the B1G. Saturday's game is at 4:00pm central and is on ESPNU. This past weekend Penn State was swept at Michigan State and Minnesota swept Michigan at Mariucci. Should be a good series with plenty to play for.

Go

gopher wes
02-16-2015, 09:09 AM
Not sure what to expect. Gophers gutted out to wins in Happy Valley last season, my hope is that they can find a way to do it again.

Both teams had very different weekends this past weekend so it will be interesting to see how each team comes out. I assume PSU will be ****ed after being swept and my hope is that the Gophers aren't coasting after the sweep of Michigan.

Tiggsy
02-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Doesn't take much to swing us off the ledge and back into the title conversation. With this many games left, they usually say that you can't win them all. But why not? I think we could, so let's give it a try.

MN Magic
02-16-2015, 01:35 PM
:)

Driftryder
02-16-2015, 01:39 PM
I think its great the Gophers look more engaged the past two weeks, but it feels like if they lose ONE of their last eight games they fall out of the Pairwise?

Not necessarily, it depends on what the other teams around them in the PWR are doing too. Winning all our regular season games will obviously get us into the NCAA's, but depending on what other teams do we could stumble a game or 2 and probably still make it without winning the B1G tourney.

That said, just win baby! :)

MN Magic
02-16-2015, 04:33 PM
:)

D2D
02-16-2015, 04:51 PM
I hope your right. The Big Ten Tourney would be much more enjoyable knowing your already in
But for sure not as exciting! ;)

Slap Shot
02-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Look forward to this weekend. Not because I expect a sweep but because This is a PSU team that seems much improved from last season and should be further proof if the Gophers are truly surging toward better things. That doesn't necessarily require two wins but rather 1) Continued return to form by Wilcox 2) The same in overall team D and 3) playing with grit and fire.

5mn_Major
02-16-2015, 09:01 PM
Not necessarily, it depends on what the other teams around them in the PWR are doing too. Winning all our regular season games will obviously get us into the NCAA's, but depending on what other teams do we could stumble a game or 2 and probably still make it without winning the B1G tourney.

That said, just win baby! :)

More specifically,

To move up if we win, we need losses from:

Providence
Boston College
Quinnapiac
Denver

To avoid moving down if we lose, we need losses from:

Harvard
Yale
Vermont
and yes, Michigan

D2D
02-16-2015, 10:25 PM
I looked at Penn State's schedule and results: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-hockey/sched/psu-m-hockey-sched.html

Are they really 10-1-3 on their home ice? If so, wow, that's pretty good. In fact, that's better than pretty good, that's domination, that's best in the league.

What's the secret to their success at home?

The Rube
02-16-2015, 10:31 PM
They shoot a LOT, and just relentlessly attack, from the couple games I have seen. The last game I saw from them was against MSU a couple weeks ago, and it was embarrassing how PSU beat them. A couple of the goals....the goalie had NO chance at a save. No chance.

D2D
02-16-2015, 11:06 PM
They shoot a LOT, and just relentlessly attack, from the couple games I have seen. The last game I saw from them was against MSU a couple weeks ago, and it was embarrassing how PSU beat them. A couple of the goals....the goalie had NO chance at a save. No chance.
So, in other words, the Gophers really have their work cut out for them. What would you say the odds are of:

A) Minnesota sweeps
B) Penn State sweeps
C) They split
D) None of the above - a tie in one or both games, with shoot-out point(s) awarded that affect conference standings only

I'm going with D. Gophers win one, but tie and then lose the shootout, because they always do.

The Rube
02-16-2015, 11:09 PM
So, in other words, the Gophers really have their work cut out for them. What would you say the odds are of:

A) Minnesota sweeps
B) Penn State sweeps
C) They split
D) None of the above - a tie in one or both games, with shoot-out point(s) awarded that affect conference standings only

I'm going with D. Gophers win one, but tie and then lose the shootout, because they always do.
Given their recent play I say sweep. Given the full body of work, then D is my prediction. PSU has established themselves as a possible powerhouse in this conference. They might not be there yet, but they are making noise.

mnstate0fhockey
02-17-2015, 12:34 AM
Given their recent play I say sweep. Given the full body of work, then D is my prediction. PSU has established themselves as a possible powerhouse in this conference. They might not be there yet, but they are making noise.

They have one of the older rosters in college hockey. I wouldn't quite go as far as to say they have established themselves as a conference powerhouse. They'll need to consistently win before I'll do that.

ex_goldy
02-17-2015, 07:46 AM
With my glass half full, worm half turned perspective this team is still on the edge. I expect them to be coasting on Friday and lose, then come back Saturday and win. Michigan came back hard Saturday and they responded, I hope they can maintain the effort.

How is Lettieri? He took a slapper on the side of his head Saturday. I read he was walking around in the locker room after the game. Best I've seen him play as a gopher.

The Rube
02-17-2015, 08:10 AM
They have one of the older rosters in college hockey. I wouldn't quite go as far as to say they have established themselves as a conference powerhouse. They'll need to consistently win before I'll do that.

That's why I said "possible." That's a pretty big key word in my post.

5mn_Major
02-17-2015, 09:36 AM

I predict this is where PSU starts to slide (actually last weekend). Six of their last eight games are against Michigan and us...and six of their last eight games are on the road where they are below 500. Although one might say, yeah but look at their record. Well actually its inflated. They have the 47th SOS out of 59 teams. Couple that with a arguably challenging road schedule with a series at Michigan, Lowell and three other ranked games...and you get an extremely light 14 games at home. Crossing my fingers, but I'd bet on a Gopher sweep.

mnstate0fhockey
02-17-2015, 11:40 AM
That's why I said "possible." That's a pretty big key word in my post.

Fair enough :)

Tiggsy
02-17-2015, 02:20 PM

True but in a conference such as this with mostly pathetic teams, it won't take much to establish that. If MI continues their swoon it could push it along and happen sooner than we think.

D2D
02-17-2015, 03:19 PM
True but in a conference such as this with mostly pathetic teams, it won't take much to establish that. If MI continues their swoon it could push it along and happen sooner than we think.
Mostly below average, yes, but "mostly pathetic" is exaggerating just a bit, no? I will grant you one, however... :D