Weighing Realignment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weighing Realignment?

This is kind of a tiresome subject, but there must be rumblings coming from somewhere for USCHO to put it on the front page.

For this to be driven by Notre Dame, a couple things might have occurred, I suppose. Either the Big Ten is offering to let Notre Dame join as hockey members only (which would seem to be against their rules) or they are offering Notre Dame full membership in all sports and for some reason Notre Dame now may feel this is attractive whereas before they did not for whatever reason (national profile, TV contracts, etc.).

But for agument's sakes lets say that Notre Dame does leave HE. Then I think the next dominoes to fall are obvious. QU goes to HE and HC goes to the ECAC beating out RIT. HC would take Brown as a travel partner and Yale would take Princeton. Straightforward.

But events like this are often triggered first by football. Yeah, UConn would love to get into the Big Ten but I doubt it would happen because of their abysmal football program right now and they are not yet members of the AAU. So I am curious to know what USCHO knows that we do not.
    Last edited by RSTuthill; 02-12-2015, 11:08 AM.

Re: Weighing Realignment?

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
    This is kind of a tiresome subject, but there must be rumblings coming from somewhere for USCHO to put it on the front page.

For this to be driven by Notre Dame, a couple things might have occurred, I suppose. Either the Big Ten is offering to let Notre Dame join as hockey members only (which would seem to be against their rules) or they are offering Notre Dame full membership in all sports and for some reason Notre Dame now may feel this is attractive whereas before they did not for whatever reason (national profile, TV contracts, etc.).

But for agument's sakes lets say that Notre Dame does leave HE. Then I think the next dominoes to fall are obvious. QU goes to HE and HC goes to the ECAC beating out RIT. HC would take Brown as a travel partner and Yale would take Princeton. Straightforward.

But events like this are often triggered first by football. Yeah, UConn would love to get into the Big Ten but I doubt it would happen because of their abysmal football program right now and they are not yet members of the AAU. So I am curious to know what USCHO knows that we do not.
    AAU membership can't be THAT big of a deal since Nebraska got kicked out not long after joining the Big 10.

Comment

Not sure why ND went HE in the first place??

Comment

Follow the money.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Follow the money.
          Also look what they brought to the table. Hint: a liar was recently thrown out.

Comment

The Big 6-10-12-14 does have affiliate members in LaCrosse.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

They have one affiliate member in men's lacrosse, Johns Hopkins.

The Big 10 really had nowhere else to go. They only had 5 teams playing the sport (even with the addition of Rutgers and Maryland) who both field men's and womens' lacrosse teams and you can't have a conference or conference championship unless you have the NCAA mandated number of schools (6). NCAA D-1 Lacrosse teams are allotted 12.6 scholarships per team but the average D-1 men's roster is 45 guys! Not a "cheap" sport and don't forget about Title IX if you add it. This was a simple, easy, cheap solution to a problem they had and they were admitting a school that is academically superior to any existing member school. This situation was unique, methinks.

Comment

Where is this coming from?
                The Artist formally known as Steve66

Comment

LOL. Big 10 already blew everything up, now we want to do it again?
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                    They have one affiliate member in men's lacrosse, Johns Hopkins.

The Big 10 really had nowhere else to go. They only had 5 teams playing the sport (even with the addition of Rutgers and Maryland) who both field men's and womens' lacrosse teams and you can't have a conference or conference championship unless you have the NCAA mandated number of schools (6). NCAA D-1 Lacrosse teams are allotted 12.6 scholarships per team but the average D-1 men's roster is 45 guys! Not a "cheap" sport and don't forget about Title IX if you add it. This was a simple, easy, cheap solution to a problem they had and they were admitting a school that is academically superior to any existing member school. This situation was unique, methinks.
                    Not to mention, Johns Hopkins is a D-III playup, so affiliate membership isn't exactly that tough.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post

Yes, many of these events are triggered by football TV money. What hurts UCONN with the Big 10 is not so much its bad program but the Hartford TV market. It is not a big enough plum for the Big 10 to care. They already have NYC - at least in their minds - with Rutgers, Boston with BC and Baltimore/Washington with Maryland.

Notre Dame could be having second thoughts about all the travel with HE and if the Big 6/10 would take associate members for hockey only, AZ St. and Notre Dame would fit in nicely. Notre Dame just moved all sports but hockey and football to the ACC, so it is unlikey that they would move their sports to another conference so soon and football is not joining a conference anytime soon because of all that TV money from NBC.

I would think that a school the size of AZ St., with its big-time sports profile, would prefer the Big 10 over the NCHC or WCHA with smaller programs. Time will tell.

What concerns me more is the Ivies. I think they will pull out of the ECAC sometime soon - I thought they would've done it already - and take their automatic bid and TV attraction with them. That will cause a huge shift with the ECAC looking to get Holy Cross, RIT and other schools to band together. Unfortunaetly, that would be a vastly inferrior league much like the current WCHA and NCHC. I don't think this is close to being settled yet.

Comment

Originally posted by retsap71 View Post
                        Where is this coming from?
                        There was a tweet from a radio station in Cornell addressing the rumors. Plus Adam Wodon of CHN wrote a column addressing it. I can't seem to find it on my phone right now but perhaps someone can link to it or I can later.
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                          Yes, many of these events are triggered by football TV money. What hurts UCONN with the Big 10 is not so much its bad program but the Hartford TV market. It is not a big enough plum for the Big 10 to care. They already have NYC - at least in their minds - with Rutgers, Boston with BC and Baltimore/Washington with Maryland.

Notre Dame could be having second thoughts about all the travel with HE and if the Big 6/10 would take associate members for hockey only, AZ St. and Notre Dame would fit in nicely. Notre Dame just moved all sports but hockey and football to the ACC, so it is unlikey that they would move their sports to another conference so soon and football is not joining a conference anytime soon because of all that TV money from NBC.

I would think that a school the size of AZ St., with its big-time sports profile, would prefer the Big 10 over the NCHC or WCHA with smaller programs. Time will tell.

What concerns me more is the Ivies. I think they will pull out of the ECAC sometime soon - I thought they would've done it already - and take their automatic bid and TV attraction with them. That will cause a huge shift with the ECAC looking to get Holy Cross, RIT and other schools to band together. Unfortunaetly, that would be a vastly inferrior league much like the current WCHA and NCHC. I don't think this is close to being settled yet.
                          BC is in the B1G?

I assume you mean inferior, which makes a whole lot of sense considering the NCHC and WCHA combine for 8 of the top 9 Pairwise spots.
                          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post

Sudden thought.

Anybody see a possibility of ASU jumping ship on the PAC-12 and moving to the Big 10? Seems unlikely. They are well outside of the footprint but Phoenix is a major market. 15 teams also is getting to the unwieldy point and leaves you "odd" (but I suppose you could add another and have 2 eight team divisions). Plus, ASU would lose their biggest rival, Arizona.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                              There was a tweet from a radio station in Cornell addressing the rumors. Plus Adam Wodon of CHN wrote a column addressing it. I can't seem to find it on my phone right now but perhaps someone can link to it or I can later.
                              Is this what you were referring to?:

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...utstanding.php

This also contains, I believe, the Cornell radio station tweet you spoke of:

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...ors-heating-up
                              Last edited by Red Cows; 02-12-2015, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X