Weighing Realignment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan View Post
    I believe Jeff Jackson was referring to the WCHA. The Minnesota presence is more visible in the WCHA. The NCHC is more of a Colorado league not a Minnesota league.
    Oh pink pony
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Re: Weighing Realignment?

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
      Oh pink pony
      when I saw you replied to this thread, I thought for sure it would be a butthurt comment...
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        when I saw you replied to this thread, I thought for sure it would be a butthurt comment...
        It's early.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Oh Dirty
          Fixed it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
            What concerns me more is the Ivies. I think they will pull out of the ECAC sometime soon - I thought they would've done it already - and take their automatic bid and TV attraction with them. That will cause a huge shift with the ECAC looking to get Holy Cross, RIT and other schools to band together. Unfortunaetly, that would be a vastly inferrior league much like the current WCHA and NCHC.
            The NCHC is a vastly inferior league to the B1G? Hilarious.
            Originally posted by SJHovey
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            Originally posted by Brenthoven
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
              The NCHC is a vastly inferior league to the B1G? Hilarious.
              They big has it own network and deeper pockets. The NCHC doesn't compare to the Big.

Comment

I believe Jeff Jackson was referring to the WCHA. The Minnesota presence is more visible in the WCHA. The NCHC is more of a Colorado league not a Minnesota league.
                WCHA: 4 Michigan teams, 2 Alaska , 2 Minnesota , 1 Alabama, 1 Ohio
                NCHC: 2 Colorado teams, 2 Minnesota, 1 North Dakota, 1 Ohio, 1 Michigan, 1 Nebraska

By what measure is the WCHA a Minnesota league and the NCHC a Colorado league?
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

WCHA: 4 Michigan teams, 2 Alaska , 2 Minnesota , 1 Alabama, 1 Ohio
                  NCHC: 2 Colorado teams, 2 Minnesota, 1 North Dakota, 1 Ohio, 1 Michigan, 1 Nebraska

By what measure is the WCHA a Minnesota league and the NCHC a Colorado league?
                  Take a look at where the players hail from, although to your point, we aren't going to see much of a difference there.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                    Very true. The bridges between ND and the B1G were burned a long time ago (although money (and maybe time) is said to be able to heal all wounds).

NDs only other viable option would be the NCHC, but the travel advantages gained would be marginal, at best. Yes, they would get bus trips to WMU and Miami but they'd be swapping six flights to Boston (684 air miles -- ~2.5 hrs) for two trips to Colorado (850 air miles), one trip to Duluth (400 air miles) two trips to Minneapolis (360 air miles), one trip to Omaha (430 air miles), and one trip to Grand Forks (600 air miles). Total flights: seven (as opposed to six). Throw in Arizona State and you have eight. OK, maybe the Minnesota trips could be by bus but you're still looking at ~400 road miles, or about the distance from Boston to Baltimore. Then there's the fact that the NCHC teams play each other twice at home and twice away, as opposed to the one-and-one in HEA (or, in NDs case, two and home and two away on alternating years), so their OOC scheduling opportunities would become limited.

I guess they could follow the football model and play an independent schedule but hockey ain't football so that's easier said than done.

I suspect the fact that Jeff Jackson is known to be unhappy with HEA officiating plays into this somehow. But a coach with his experience should have figured out by now that HEA calls the clutch-and-grab obstruction type fouls tighter than they might have been called in the CCHA. But c'mon, he's had the better part of two seasons to adjust. And yes, the bottom tier of HEA officials leave something to be desired but so did the bottom tier of CCHA officials.

So, as someone else pointed out, this looks like much ado about nothing.
                    When did the BHHC start doing 28 conference games? I thought they did 24, meaning 5 * 4 + 2 * 2. For those who were told there'd be no math, magic gremlins make 24 games possible.

Comment

They big has it own network and deeper pockets. The NCHC doesn't compare to the Big.
                      How is that relevant as far as hockey goes?

Comment

How is that relevant as far as hockey goes?
                        The Big teams are on National network on a regular basis which gives players regular national coverage. As for deeper pockets the Big will last a lot longer then then the NCHC will ever last. The Big will never disappear as for the NCHC will depend on realignment for stability.

Comment

Originally posted by tipsy mcstagger View Post
                          how is that relevant as far as hockey goes?
                          c.r.e.a.m.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ChinaHockey View Post
                            I would be for an Ivy League Hockey Conf. I wish Penn and Columbia would join and make it a true ILHC.
                            Columbia's never joining. Penn had D-1 as recently as the 70s and they have a great building. There was once an active hockey alumni group trying to prod them into restoring the D1 program.

Having said all of which, I don't think we'll ever make the lethal error of ghettoizing ourselves. Going to a pure Ivy model would just hasten the day where our hockey programs had the national competitiveness of our football and basketball programs.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's early.
                              Dirty

Comment

The Big teams are on National network on a regular basis which gives players regular national coverage. As for deeper pockets the Big will last a lot longer then then the NCHC will ever last. The Big will never disappear as for the NCHC will depend on realignment for stability.
                                So much stupid in such a short post.

NCHC teams are on national TV as well. But no one watches either conference. Barely anyone watches NHL games. How many people do you think saw Minnesota vs Wisconsin on DirecTV channel 610?

Were NCHC programs losing money before TV deals? They don't have programs that lose money. Otherwise they never would have been invited. Where are you getting your information that the NCHC is struggling financially? Because we know they sure aren't struggling on the ice. So why do they need realignment?

No one said the B1G will fold. I don't doubt they will be playing terrible hockey forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X