Old Fan Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Fan Question

A long, long time ago -- possibly even before USCHO and back in the ancient days of hockey-l, there was a game in which one team pulled their goalie with most of or perhaps all of the third period remaining, when down by a huge amount. My mind is going, but I have a vague memory that MTU or NMU was involved (but I could be totally off). It didn't work -- though the team scored a few goals they also gave up a few. They may have abandoned the effort midway through when it was obvious it wasn't going to work. I'm pretty sure it was a D-1 game.

Does anybody remember what I'm talking about?

Thanks in advance.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Re: Old Fan Question

Wasn't Frank Anzalone semi-famous for pulling his goalies early when LSSU was down by multiple goals?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      A long, long time ago -- possibly even before USCHO and back in the ancient days of hockey-l, there was a game in which one team pulled their goalie with most of or perhaps all of the third period remaining, when down by a huge amount. My mind is going, but I have a vague memory that MTU or NMU was involved (but I could be totally off). It didn't work -- though the team scored a few goals they also gave up a few. They may have abandoned the effort midway through when it was obvious it wasn't going to work. I'm pretty sure it was a D-1 game.

Thanks in advance.
      maybe. it wasn't a long time ago, but George Gwozdecki did it once against Tech at Tech. we were leading and he pulled his goalie with something like 6 or 7 minutes remaining and let us dump in three or four more goals. the talk was he did it to "punish" his team for such bad play against such a weak team. most everyone was horrified he would do something like that to his players. the mister and I have often speculated if that incident wasn't the impetus to fire him. as a player, fan, parent or AD I would have been mad as hell. check with MTU's Shirtless Guy he might know more on this. I'm going on memory and an too lazy to look up facts (and I'm in a bit of a rush right now).
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Thanks in advance.
        I seem to remember one of the RPI posters (not sure if it was Ralph or not) mentioning that, back when two-game series with a rubber mini-game to be played directly after the second game was used for the playoffs, that a team pulled their goalie and peppered the opposing goalie with shots in order to exploit the mini-game setup, so the goalie was wrecked after winning game 2 to force the mini-game.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
          maybe. it wasn't a long time ago, but George Gwozdecki did it once against Tech at Tech. we were leading and he pulled his goalie with something like 6 or 7 minutes remaining and let us dump in three or four more goals. the talk was he did it to "punish" his team for such bad play against such a weak team. most everyone was horrified he would do something like that to his players. the mister and I have often speculated if that incident wasn't the impetus to fire him. as a player, fan, parent or AD I would have been mad as hell. check with MTU's Shirtless Guy he might know more on this. I'm going on memory and an too lazy to look up facts (and I'm in a bit of a rush right now).
          Brown the HC at Tech for awhile would do it.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
            I remember this. It was Mel's first season behind the bench, actually.

Comment

I'm waaaaaay short on specifics, but I recall a discussion about a game featuring LSSU where one team played with an empty net for all or most of a third period due to goalie injuries. If my memory is accurate the conversation was 8+ years ago relaying a story from at least a decade before that. Like I said, light on details.

I've also heard of a youth tournament game where both goalies were pulled because the losing team needs a win to advance and the other needs to make up a goal differential to move on...

Comment

I know the now defunct UI-Chicago Flames pulled their goalie really early in the 3rd period in a game maybe 93-94? I remember the goalie's name was Lord and they scored 4 or 5 goals and gave up several as well.

Comment

Back in the late 80s (I think it was about then), LSSU was playing UI-Chicago and the Lakers were not playing well and were down by 4 or 5 goals. In the 3rd period, Frank Anzalone pulled the goalie off and on for much of the period. The Lakers caught fire and came back and tied that game, and if I remember correctly won it in OT.

Comment

Back in the 70s at UND, Rube Bjorkman routinely used mirages in net, and when opponents found out they could shoot right through them, things got ugly very quickly. You may have seen one of those games.

You are that old.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      I seem to remember one of the RPI posters (not sure if it was Ralph or not) mentioning that, back when two-game series with a rubber mini-game to be played directly after the second game was used for the playoffs, that a team pulled their goalie and peppered the opposing goalie with shots in order to exploit the mini-game setup, so the goalie was wrecked after winning game 2 to force the mini-game.
                      I remember Ralph saying it too. (Actually I don't.) IIRC, against Colgate is 87-88, we won the first game and were losing badly the second. We pulled the goalie quite earlier in the third period so we could tire out their goalie in preparation for the minigame which followed. It worked since we won the minigame.

I do remember in the last game of the 69-70 (I think that year) NHL regular season vs. Detroit the NY Rangers pulled their goalie very early because of the strange way that a tie with Montreal was going to be broken. (It must have been goals for.)
                      Edit: See Canadiens/Rangers tiebreaker in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969%E2%80%9370_NHL_season.
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-04-2015, 11:59 AM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        Back in the 70s at UND, Rube Bjorkman routinely used mirages in net, and when opponents found out they could shoot right through them, things got ugly very quickly. You may have seen one of those games.

You are that old.
                        Do not mention that carpetbagger.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by foser View Post
                          I've also heard of a youth tournament game where both goalies were pulled because the losing team needs a win to advance and the other needs to make up a goal differential to move on...
                          We could have had that last year during the Tech-Kato season finale. The game went to OT, and Tech needed a win for home ice, and we needed a win to get a share of the McNaughton. Both coaches decided not to do it, Hastings saying he thought about it, but didn't want to take the Pairwise hit (not sure what Pearson's reasoning was). Still kinda bummed they didn't do it. It would have been a cool ending.

Comment

Dean Blaise would routinely pull a goalie halfway through the third if down by several goals...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              I remember Ralph saying it too. (Actually I don't.) IIRC, against Colgate is 87-88, we won the first game and were losing badly the second. We pulled the goalie quite earlier in the third period so we could tire out their goalie in preparation for the minigame which followed. It worked since we won the minigame.
                              I was there Ralph. You are partly right about tiring out their goalie. We were losing 6-0 I believe and Addesa was quite upset mostly about RPI's power play. So everytime they had a PP in the third, they pulled their goalie. I know they gave up a couple of ENG but scored 3 times on the PP.
                              When the mini game began, Addesa put Jamie Duncan in net and the 10 minute mini game was scoreless until RPI scored with just under 2 minutes left and added an ENG to win 2-0 to advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X