PDA

View Full Version : Official 2015 BottomFeeder Bracketology and Site Selection Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Freddie
02-03-2015, 09:42 PM
As had been speculated the committee has chosen the Pontiac Silverdome to host the 2015 FutileFour.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-sportsdash/silverdome--host-of-super-bowl-xvi--has-seen-better-days-024806880.html

Bids for regionals will be accepted anytime between now and 1730 Newfoundland Standard Time on Feb 20.

No bids will be considered from venues outside the contiguous 48 states, or venues that are current homes to any D1 or D3 team.

PLEASE attach pictures and or links.

FadeToBlack&Gold
02-03-2015, 11:26 PM
I live 15 minutes away from the 'Dome. What can I do to ensure minimal attendance?

huskyfan
02-04-2015, 11:09 AM
I live 15 minutes away from the 'Dome. What can I do to ensure minimal attendance?

that's the spirit!!!

dead rats laying around outside? oh wait. I think they are all ready there.

FlagDUDE08
02-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City NJ, former home of the ECAC championships.

Freddie
02-04-2015, 12:46 PM
It appears that the results of yesterdays Beanpot semi-finals had some effect on the Weakness-Of-Schedule component of Freddie's Arbitrary Ranking of Teams that Suck, so here are the current FARTS:

1. Niagara
2. AIC
3. Army
4. Princeton
5. Sacred Heart
6. Brown
7. Wisconsin
8. Holy Cross
9. Air Force
10. RIT
11. Lake Superior
12. Colorado College
13. Alaska-Anchorage
14. Massachusetts
15. Canisius
16. Massachusetts
17. Alabama-Huntsville
18. Mercyhurst
19. Bentley
20. New Hampshire
21. Maine
22. RPI
23. Ohio State
24. Ferris State
25. Notre Dame

In accordance with what is commonly known as the "Atlantic Hockey Rule", any team with a winning percentage of .500 or better is eliminated from consideration, no matter how weak their schedule...that eliminates: Canisius, Bentley and Mercyhurst.

Next we have to be sure there is room left in the field for each conference's cellar-dweller. Using conference only winning percentages, and assuming the season ended today, the automatic qualifiers would be: Niagara (AH), Wisconsin (B1G), Princeton (ECAC), U Mass (HEA), Colo Col (NCHA) and Anchorage (WCHA). As all six are safely inside the 16 team bubble, we need no further modification.

Here's the field:
1. Niagara
2. AIC
3. Army
4. Princeton
5. Sacred Heart
6. Brown
7. Wisconsin
8. Holy Cross
9. Air Force
10. RIT
11. Lake Superior
12. Colorado Col
13. Anchorage
14. U Mass
15. Huntsville
16. New Hampshire

drshoen
02-04-2015, 01:49 PM
As had been speculated the committee has chosen the Pontiac Silverdome to host the 2015 FutileFour.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-sportsdash/silverdome--host-of-super-bowl-xvi--has-seen-better-days-024806880.html

Bids for regionals will be accepted anytime between now and 1730 Newfoundland Standard Time on Feb 20.

No bids will be considered from venues outside the contiguous 48 states, or venues that are current homes to any D1 or D3 team.

PLEASE attach pictures and or links.

This site is so perfect for the event, I would suggest the Silverdome host the entire tournament - squeeze 4 rinks onto the floor (which probably makes them smaller than regulation, but who cares) and have 4 games going on simultaneously. And since all 16 teams are in the same city, you could play the entire tournament in a day, ensuring that the final will be a spectacle of uninspired hockey. Imagine playing your 4th game of the day - most of the players wouldn't even move!

beaverhockeyfan
02-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Couldn't Alaska be considered the WCHA's autobid since they are ineligble for the post season? Or does the NCAA ruling come into play here as well?

Critical Thinker
02-05-2015, 12:26 AM

Why not the BGSU auxiliary rink, but during my curling class? The teams would have to dodge moving rocks while trying to play hockey. I could use the goalies as target practice. The only hockey that's ever been played there are youth practices, so the level of play would be comparable to its current use. Plus, there's no permanent seating and barely any room for spectators. Even better, there's a basic hockey class at the same time on the main rink, and BG undergrads playing hockey would be a far better draw than Holy Cross or Air Force's varsity teams, further diminishing attendance. The only downfall is that the facility is in good condition and has been recently renovated. So, what does the committee think?

huskyfan
02-05-2015, 01:54 AM
The only downfall is that the facility is in good condition and has been recently renovated.

"good condition" and "recently renovated"
kiss of death

there is a covered outdoor rink in Key West. doesn't look like its used much anymore. cons : hotels, restaurants, things to do, lots of people, possibility of publicity. pros : cockfights in town, puking in the street is acceptable, tourists wont attend, locals wont either. good chance players could get clap, OD, or both. between possible lack of ice, island time, drugs and drinking there is a high probability games dont get
at all.

MissThundercat
02-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Couldn't Alaska be considered the WCHA's autobid since they are ineligble for the post season? Or does the NCAA ruling come into play here as well?

I heard that the NCAA ruling on Alaska could work in Alaska's favor for THIS tournament.

John J. MacInnes
02-06-2015, 01:29 PM
I would like to officially nominate Copper Harbor, Michigan as a regional site.

Copper Harbor offers an outdoor ice sheet next to the town's one-room schoolhouse. Plans have been in the works to build a pavilion which would serve as a roof over a future relocation of the rink, but as of now this has not begun.

This remote outpost is the furthest town in the lower 48 from any interstate highway (http://www.citylab.com/commute/2012/10/how-far-can-you-live-interstate-highway/3449/). Air service is 40 miles away and offers only two 50 seat flights per day. The year-round population numbers under 100 residents.

The town also has no cell phone coverage, due to its location behind a ridge that blocks any tower from providing service. Only one broadcast US TV station is available over the air, a CW station in Calumet whose reception is spotty at best. The nearest originating commercial radio station is in Hancock, 45 miles away. The only broadcast signal originating from the town is a low power 200 watt weather radio station WZ-2513 remotely operated by the National Weather Service outside Marquette, which would make it the default broadcaster of the regional. Only one daily newspaper is located within 100 miles, and it only publishes one weekend edition on Saturday morning so coverage has to wait until Monday.

Based on these factors, I think Copper Harbor offers a unique package to the tournament.

huskyfan
02-06-2015, 04:34 PM
I would like to officially nominate Copper Harbor, Michigan as a regional site.

Copper Harbor offers an outdoor ice sheet next to the town's one-room schoolhouse. Plans have been in the works to build a pavilion which would serve as a roof over a future relocation of the rink, but as of now this has not begun.

This remote outpost is the furthest town in the lower 48 from any interstate highway (http://www.citylab.com/commute/2012/10/how-far-can-you-live-interstate-highway/3449/). Air service is 40 miles away and offers only two 50 seat flights per day. The year-round population numbers under 100 residents.

The town also has no cell phone coverage, due to its location behind a ridge that blocks any tower from providing service. Only one broadcast US TV station is available over the air, a CW station in Calumet whose reception is spotty at best. The nearest originating commercial radio station is in Hancock, 45 miles away. The only broadcast signal originating from the town is a low power 200 watt weather radio station WZ-2513 remotely operated by the National Weather Service outside Marquette, which would make it the default broadcaster of the regional. Only one daily newspaper is located within 100 miles, and it only publishes one weekend edition on Saturday morning so coverage has to wait until Monday.

Based on these factors, I think Copper Harbor offers a unique package to the tournament.

other factors making this an attractive site - because the tournament is so early in the spring there will be no hotels or restaurants or bars or store open. in fact the residents, all 40 of them, will be out of town. this site could be a "feather in the cap" for the Futile Four. virtually no journalist can reach it. even if they did there is no way to get information in or out. I like it.

MissThundercat
02-08-2015, 11:45 AM
other factors making this an attractive site - because the tournament is so early in the spring there will be no hotels or restaurants or bars or store open. in fact the residents, all 40 of them, will be out of town. this site could be a "feather in the cap" for the Futile Four. virtually no journalist can reach it. even if they did there is no way to get information in or out. I like it.

Yes. Make it so.

MissThundercat
02-11-2015, 10:35 AM
Do we have an updated FARTS?

FlagDUDE08
02-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Yes. Make it so.

I am weary based upon it being an outdoor rink, and outdoor games seem to attract attendance. Location may make up for that, though.

huskyfan
02-11-2015, 12:51 PM
I am weary based upon it being an outdoor rink, and outdoor games seem to attract attendance. Location may make up for that, though.

even those wishing to attend will have a very hard time finding it.

Freddie
02-11-2015, 05:32 PM
Do we have an updated FARTS?

1. Niagara
2. AIC
3. Army
4. Princeton
5. Sacred Heart
6. Holy Cross
7. Brown
8. Wisconsin
9. Air Force
10. Lake Superior
11. RIT
12. Colorado
13. Anchorage
14. Canisius
15. Huntsville
16. Maine
17. RPI
18. Mass.
19. Bentley
20. Mercyhurst
21. Ferris
22. Ohio State
23. New Hampshire
24. Michigan State
25. Notre Dame

Botomtology assumes regular season conference standings will hold up as they currently are, granting auto-bids to: Niagara, Wisconsin, Princeton, U Mass, Colo Col and Anchorage.

Canisius, Bentley and Mercyhurst are eliminated from consideration because they have a losing percentage below .500, so here is the field if the season ended today. Last week's seeding in brackets.

1. Niagara (1)
2. AIC (2)
3. Army (3)
4. Princeton (4)
5. Sacred Heart (5)
6. Holy Cross (8)
7. Brown (6)
8. Wisconsin (7)
9. Air Force (9)
10 Lake Superior (11)
11 RIT (10)
12 Colorado Col (12)
13 Alas-Anchorage (13)
14 Alab-Hunstville (15)
15 Maine (NR)
16 Massachusetts (14)

MaizeRage
02-11-2015, 08:23 PM

Columbia Arena in Fridley, MN. Film location for the third Mighty Ducks but abandoned since 2006: http://hauntedblogging.blogspot.com/2014/07/columbia-arena-fridley-mn.html

There are plans to tear it down, but I've also heard rumors that the ground around the arena is so polluted from the leaking cooling system that it will be impossible to ever building anything there again.

MissThundercat
02-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Columbia Arena in Fridley, MN. Film location for the third Mighty Ducks but abandoned since 2006: http://hauntedblogging.blogspot.com/2014/07/columbia-arena-fridley-mn.html

There are plans to tear it down, but I've also heard rumors that the ground around the arena is so polluted from the leaking cooling system that it will be impossible to ever building anything there again.

Oooh, sounds interesting. Could have players getting sick. Make it so.

MissThundercat
02-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Waiting to see FARTS after this weekend...