Ohio State vs Minnesota State 2/6 - 2/7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs Minnesota State 2/6 - 2/7

Ohio State comes back from Minneapolis having only earned 1 out of a possible 6 points, so they will be a hungry team this weekend. Ohio State is now setting in 5th place in the WCHA and they are seven points behind North Dakota, who sets in 4th place with 38 points. With Wisconsin coming to Columbus next weekend (2/13 - 2/14), then a trip to Duluth to close out the regular season, it is imperative that the Buckeyes get points this weekend. Ohio State was able to sweep Minnesota State earlier this season in Mankato, but both games were two-goal games (3-1 and 2-0). I know it has been a tough season for Minnesota State. Maverick fans, tell us what we can expect out of your team this weekend. Safe travels to any Maverick fans making the trip down to Columbus!

Re: Ohio State vs Minnesota State 2/6 - 2/7

It'll be great to have the team back home.

And great to get back to normal posting, if you know what I mean.

Confidential to ARM: I fully realize this comment is aspirational in nature. I'm under no illusions as to what was and what wasn't accomplished.
    Last edited by pgb-ohio; 02-04-2015, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Will hopefully be a competitive series. As you noted, the last match-up was closer than some expected. The Mavs are beginning to play well for longer stretches of time, and many of the freshman are showing progress at WCHA-levels of play. Despite some of the scores, our goal-tending has been solid. So, if we can put together 3 solid periods both nights, I think it will a fun weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

Confidential to ARM: I fully realize this comment is aspirational in nature. I'm under no illusions as to what was and what wasn't accomplished.
        I hear you regarding 'normal' posting. When it gets to that point, I pretty much stop posting in those threads.

Comment

Originally posted by L268 View Post
          Will hopefully be a competitive series. As you noted, the last match-up was closer than some expected. The Mavs are beginning to play well for longer stretches of time, and many of the freshman are showing progress at WCHA-levels of play. Despite some of the scores, our goal-tending has been solid. So, if we can put together 3 solid periods both nights, I think it will a fun weekend.
          Thank you for your contribution to this thread! Good luck this weekend, and safe travels if you are coming down!

Comment

Ohio State takes game one in this series by a final score of 3-2. This one was interesting. The Buckeyes outshot the Mavericks by a 34-14 margin, but the SOG stat doesn't always tell the full story. The Buckeyes jumped on top early with goals from junior Kendall Curtis and senior Kari Schmitt to take a 2-0 lead into the first intermission. Neither team could find the back of the net in the second period and the teams went into the final period with the score still 2-0 in favor of Ohio State. This is where the game got interesting. Minnesota State got on the board on a nice 2-on-1 goal by freshman Nicole Schammel. Schammel was not done for the night as she tied the game late in the period on a shorthanded goal. Shout out to L268 regarding those Maverick freshmen! Fortunately for Ohio State, they were able to score on that power play. Freshman Lauren Spring scored to put the Bucks up 3-2 and that turned out to be the game-winner. Redshirt-junior Stacy Danczak stopped 32 shots and got the win. Stacy had a bit of a headache after the game as MSU's second goal hit her in the helmet and bounced into the net. The Mavericks Brianna Quade kept her team in the game with 31 stops before being pulled at the end for an extra attacker. Another shout out to the Maverick fan with the sign and his face painted, not to mention the fan who brought a cow bell! Both added to the atmosphere tonight! The teams will be back at it tomorrow at 2:07 pm EST and there will be a 'Skate With The Team' afterward! Bring your skates or rent them at the OSU Ice Rink!

Comment

I was told by some very knowledgeable folks tonight not to believe everything I read from a certain fan(base) and I believe it was sound advice. Gonna hop over to the WCHA thread to read about the three stars!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                Gonna hop over to the WCHA thread to read about the three stars!
                Kept you waiting a bit, but they're up.

Comment

Saturday's Stars are Shining Bright To See. Check them out on the WCHA thread.

Comment

I hear you regarding 'normal' posting. When it gets to that point, I pretty much stop posting in those threads.
                    Certainly don't want to reopen the whole can of worms from last weekend. But this deserves a short, supportive reply.

When the fun is gone, when a thread has been spoiled, dropping out of the conversation is a perfectly rational choice. It's not, as some would have you believe, that meanness is intimidating. The tipping point is when the thread becomes a waste of time.

Comment

Saturday's Stars are Shining Bright To See. Check them out on the WCHA thread.
                      I thoroughly enjoy your Three Stars of The Game ... "Unofficial and just for fun" ... the fan forum would not be the same without them!! Now, if I can just figure out who you are someday and intro myself. Haha, but then, Tonto never tried to pull off the Lone Ranger's mask, so I will be content just knowing we are in the same building somewhere, and thoroughly enjoying your postgame write-ups!

Comment

If I wasn't so late on this thread, I would post more details about the game. Ohio State won 6-0 yesterday to finish the sweep. Kassidy Sauve got the shutout for the Buckeyes. Ohio State's fourth line of Bryanna Neuwald, Maggie Rothgery, and Katie Matheny accounted for nine points. The Buckeyes stay in 5th place, but are only 2 points ahead of 6th place Bemidji. They are 4 points behind North Dakota for 4th place and a coveted home ice advantage in the first round.

Comment

They are 4 points behind North Dakota for 4th place and a coveted home ice advantage in the first round.
                          Your better bet might be UMD; you're only five points behind the Bulldogs. UND finishes with the Huskies and Mavericks. The Bulldogs come to Minneapolis this weekend, and then you could take matters into your own hands in Duluth. I suggest sweeping Wisconsin to ensure that you control your own playoff destiny in that series.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            Your better bet might be UMD; you're only five points behind the Bulldogs. UND finishes with the Huskies and Mavericks. The Bulldogs come to Minneapolis this weekend, and then you could take matters into your own hands in Duluth. I suggest sweeping Wisconsin to ensure that you control your own playoff destiny in that series.
                            You're just one step ahead of me tonight!

Agree completely. Would be quite surprised if UND failed to win 3 of its last 4 games and clinch home ice. But I would be similarly surprised if UMD swept in Minneapolis. From an OSU perspective, the key is not to lose ground to UMD next weekend. If ground can be gained, so much the better. But keep the gap at 5 points, however that's accomplished, and at least there's a chance on the final weekend.

Comment

You're just one step ahead of me tonight!

Agree completely. Would be quite surprised if UND failed to win 3 of its last 4 games and clinch home ice. But I would be similarly surprised if UMD swept in Minneapolis. From an OSU perspective, the key is not to lose ground to UMD next weekend. If ground can be gained, so much the better. But keep the gap at 5 points, however that's accomplished, and at least there's a chance on the final weekend.
                              Agree with both of you, UMD is the team we are chasing here. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X