Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan State vs Michigan 1/30 & 2/7: Two Games, Two Weeks, Two Rinks, No Home Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan State vs Michigan 1/30 & 2/7: Two Games, Two Weeks, Two Rinks, No Home Games

Somehow this became one of the best series on the conference schedule.

The Spartans come in on a relative hot streak going 4-2-2-2 plus a win over the U-18 squad since mid-December. Last week they grabbed both games against OSU for their first sweep in over a calendar year. Those six points vaulted them up to third in the Big Ten, just a game behind Penn State.

Michigan on the other hand, has been the hottest team in the nation by far, going 12-1 since losing to Penn State. Take out the one loss and the GLI, and the lowest amount of goals they've put up is 4. Since the GLI they're averaging 6.8 goals per game. It's essentially like taking on Team Toews.

The only other game of the season between these two teams resulted in a 2-1 win and GLI title for a shorthanded Michigan squad. Since then both offenses have gotten better but Michigan's has been in another world.

This Friday will be another match-up at JLA. 7:30 on FSD.

Next Saturday will be the result of one of Dave Brandon's last hurrahs, selling Michigan's second home game for the Hockey City Classic in Chicago.

I'd be happy with scraping up two points, because it means we either contained the offensive powerhouse or matched it. However, this has the definite possibility to get ugly.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Re: Michigan State vs Michigan 1/30 & 2/7: Two Games, Two Weeks, Two Rinks, No Home G

Hey - a game thread! I love game threads!

Comment

Re: Michigan State vs Michigan 1/30 & 2/7: Two Games, Two Weeks, Two Rinks, No Home G

So here's a question - who is the home team for each game?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        So here's a question - who is the home team for each game?
        MSU was originally scheduled to have just one home game this year, so they'll be at home at Joe Louis. So that leaves Michigan as the home team in Chicago, which will be matched by the jerseys. Michigan has white fauxbacks (I don't think they ever actually wore them) and MSU is using football's pro combat look, i.e. green, black, and bronze.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          ...MSU is using football's pro combat look, i.e. green, black, and bronze.
          We get to play Wayne State in Chicago? Such craziness.

Looking forward to Friday at the Joe. Disgusted with the Chicago outdoor game, would rather be at Yost.

After not missing a Michigan outdoor game since the Cold War, last year I skipped the GLI and I may just continue this trend of not attending outdoor games. I understand that there is a large alumni base in Chicago, but to take 2 teams that are within an hour of each other and move them 3+ hours away from both campuses is silly. That and football and baseball stadiums are terrible for watching hockey.

*rabble, rabble, get off my lawn!
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G
          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
          2 Alaskan

Comment

Honestly, if they really wanted to do another Michigan-Michigan St game in a non-hockey arena, I would have wanted it to be in - wait for it- Ford Field *gasp*. Yes, there was the debacle that was the Frozen Four, but it would be in Michigan, you could then say the two schools have played at every major stadium in the state (not counting the Palace), and it would definitely get more attendance than what they're going to have at Soldier Field.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Is the game at the Joe seriously sold out? Already have my tax, but GA is sold out, and looks like scattered singles in the lower bowl. I wonder what the actual attendance will be.
              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G
              7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
              6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
              5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
              5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
              2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
              2 Alaskan

Comment

Well, certainly wasn't expecting that!!!

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I was secretly hoping but remembered my fear of rejection . My heart's been broken so many times before. I was not surprised by the low total goals ... I think even Wolvie fans would acknowledge their whopping total the last 3 games was a tad inflated by going at a depleted OSU and a Wisconsin team that looks to have mailed it in. Yes there's no doubt they have the most talented forwards by and large but Anastos has this MSU team really going in the right direction defensively and can rely on the league's hottest goaltender.

Looked to me like unlike the last 2-1 game at JLA, MSU worked just a little harder than U-M did tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                    I was secretly hoping but remembered my fear of rejection . My heart's been broken so many times before. I was not surprised by the low total goals ... I think even Wolvie fans would acknowledge their whopping total the last 3 games was a tad inflated by going at a depleted OSU and a Wisconsin team that looks to have mailed it in. Yes there's no doubt they have the most talented forwards by and large but Anastos has this MSU team really going in the right direction defensively and can rely on the league's hottest goaltender.

Looked to me like unlike the last 2-1 game at JLA, MSU worked just a little harder than U-M did tonight.
                    I had a similar fear going into the 3rd period. 1-1 going into the final frame...I've seen this one before...surely a hard fought 2-1 loss to a team whose offense can be relied on to get it done. But as fate would have it, another gem from our defense and goaltending who are all becoming increasingly reliable.

Comment

You forget that your team is the kryptonite of our offense. Has been for years, regardless of the coach. Right D + good goalie causes problems- if the goalie gets hot, well, no or few goals for us.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        You forget that your team is the kryptonite of our offense. Has been for years, regardless of the coach. Right D + good goalie causes problems- if the goalie gets hot, well, no or few goals for us.
                        I don't know about that. Certainly for one or two games a season, but going back the last few seasons, here are the goals we've given up against you guys:

2012-13: 5, 2, 5, 3, 5
                        2013-14: 0, 2, 5, 7, 3
                        2014-15: 2, 1

But hey, if kryptonite is going to be the new norm, I'll take it. Who'da thunk it'd be you, us and PSU in the top 3 at this point? Surely you guys would be here, but likely behind Minnesota

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I don't know about that. Certainly for one or two games a season, but going back the last few seasons, here are the goals we've given up against you guys:

2012-13: 5, 2, 5, 3, 5
                          2013-14: 0, 2, 5, 7, 3
                          2014-15: 2, 1

But hey, if kryptonite is going to be the new norm, I'll take it. Who'da thunk it'd be you, us and PSU in the top 3 at this point? Surely you guys would be here, but likely behind Minnesota
                          There may be games where the scoreboard has been lit up. But there are plenty of games where MSU's D understands how to stop the goals. Half the games you list, we scored 3 or less, 5 two or less. That pattern goes back for as long as I've watched- back in 1990- I remember one frustrating game at JLA, and seeing our high scoring team getting trapped do death. It happens, a lot. To the point that I will not predict a weekend series even if you are last and we are first (and vise versa).

You are right about the B1G. Especially how Minnesota started the season.

Comment

Somehow this became one of the best series on the conference schedule.

The Spartans come in on a relative hot streak going 4-2-2-2 plus a win over the U-18 squad since mid-December. Last week they grabbed both games against OSU for their first sweep in over a calendar year. Those six points vaulted them up to third in the Big Ten, just a game behind Penn State.

Michigan on the other hand, has been the hottest team in the nation by far, going 12-1 since losing to Penn State. Take out the one loss and the GLI, and the lowest amount of goals they've put up is 4. Since the GLI they're averaging 6.8 goals per game. It's essentially like taking on Team Toews.

The only other game of the season between these two teams resulted in a 2-1 win and GLI title for a shorthanded Michigan squad. Since then both offenses have gotten better but Michigan's has been in another world.

This Friday will be another match-up at JLA. 7:30 on FSD.

Next Saturday will be the result of one of Dave Brandon's last hurrahs, selling Michigan's second home game for the Hockey City Classic in Chicago.

I'd be happy with scraping up two points, because it means we either contained the offensive powerhouse or matched it. However, this has the definite possibility to get ugly.
                            Technically you were the home team at the Joe, and technically Michigan will be the home team Saturday in Chicago, but you knew that. I'm just bumping the thread. I'm guessing that Michigan will come out pretty determined on Saturday. How does the sparty-klan feel about how your team will play?
                            Originally posted by alfablue
                            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

These outdoor games usually create slower ice, which helps us.

It's either going to be another close win by us or you guys win in a blowout like 5-1. Holding the floodgates give us the advantage in a low scoring game but you guys could very easily put up 4 in a period and blow it open early.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X