North Dakota at UNO - 1-30/1-31 - The biggest series in UNO program history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Dakota at UNO - 1-30/1-31 - The biggest series in UNO program history

I didn't really want to be the one that started this thread.

It's a tad embarrassing to admit to the world that these are easily the most important games that UNO has ever played in the history of the program in the regular season. In fact, nothing else even comes close. I mean, not even remotely close.

On the opposite side of that ledger is North Dakota where that isn't even close to being the case for them and who understandably farts in our general direction because it is for us and, they probably will laugh at us about it.

Worse, ticket sales for this upcoming weekend, to date, are nothing like what you'd expect them to be given the import of these games. I am hopeful for good sales this week as well as a good walk-up (the weather will be great, by January standards, in Omaha) but, as things stand right now we aren't looking at much more than 8,000 to 9,000ish for these two games based on the tickets sales, currently, on Ticketmaster. There are still some decent seats available in the lower bowl on both nights, even. Tickets sales have not yet even been opened up beyond the normally curtained off part of the CenturyLink Center. Worse, my guess is that there will be, as has always been, a significant North Dakota presence in the building. I mean, when UNO played Denver at home a couple weeks ago there was a pretty surprising amount of Fighting Sioux gear in evidence during that series (apparently, nobody in North Dakota has been throwing it away, despite the NCAA's wishes).

Coach Blais has turned up the rhetoric a lot, for him, for this series:

http://www.omaha.com/uno/boone-first...6dd4267b0.html

This is a great quote from him:

“This is the greatest time I can imagine — with UND coming in two weeks and who they are, and us having two weeks of preparation waiting for them,” Blais said. “We’re waiting for them.”

Any North Dakota fan who thinks we "tied" them back on 11-28-14 in Grand Forks (and I have had the "tie thing" thrown in my face here in the forum) better look at the current standings because that game is currently the difference in NCHC standings.

A split is the minimum I'd live with here. We're about to find out just what, exactly, all our freshman are made of. And, Ryan Massa.

Both games are on national television.

In the UNO arena thread, in response to another UNO fan asking me about discourse I have cited in it over the unhappiness within our fanbase about things in the program (almost 100% related to the new arena) and not related to the team, itself, I'll address, sometime this week, the issue of why UNO attendance is the worst it has ever been at this point of the season despite UNO being off to what is easily the greatest start in the history of the program and how they have managed to P.O. fans, right in the middle of building our new arena, even.

Still waiting to see or hear the first commercial on radio or television here in Omaha about next weekend's games.

Yeah, we're a hockey school.
    Last edited by Red Cows; 01-26-2015, 09:32 AM.

Re: North Dakota at UNO - 1-30/1-31 - The biggest series in UNO program history

This is going to be a huge series. PWR #1 vs. PWR #2. Wait, what? UND isn't playing the good Mavs, they are playing the crappy ones? Hmm, well who cares then. UND will obviously sweep. Wake me up when UND plays the real Mavs.
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
      I didn't really want to be the one that started this thread.
      Riiiight. Because you haven't been bringing up this series in other threads for the past month or two.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
        This is going to be a huge series. PWR #1 vs. PWR #2. Wait, what? UND isn't playing the good Mavs, they are playing the crappy ones? Hmm, well who cares then. UND will obviously sweep. Wake me up when UND plays the real Mavs.
        Not sure if that's sarcasm or not. Refresh our memories about how the series at Ralph went between UND and UNO? That was an obvious sweep, right? Oh, wait.
        If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
          Not sure if that's sarcasm or not. Refresh our memories about how the series at Ralph went between UND and UNO? That was an obvious sweep, right? Oh, wait.
          I will admit it was quite the accomplishment for a terrible Omaha team to come into REA and get one whole tie against the Mighty Former Sioux. Then since UND was feeling extra generous that night they even allowed UNO to win the shootout. This feat, even though it was gifted to them, has to be the highlight of the season thus far for the fake Mavs.
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            Any North Dakota fan who thinks we "tied" them back on 11-28-14 in Grand Forks (and I have had the "tie thing" thrown in my face here in the forum) better look at the current standings because that game is currently the difference in NCHC standings.
            That was me who threw it back in your face. It was in response to your whining in one of the poll threads about lack of respect for UNO in the polls, and a statement that you wrote that went something like "despite wins at North Dakota ..."

I pointed out that UNO didn't have a win at North Dakota. They had a tie, and a shootout win, which as everyone knows is just a way a league has of assigning extra points for what most people think is a gimmick, but for which I have no problem.

The point of my earlier post was that for purposes of the pwr, and probably in the minds of most voters in the polls, UNO doesn't have a "win" at UND, just a tie. But you certainly have the extra point in the standings for the shootout win.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

This will be a fun series to watch. I just have a feeling it will be a split, I'd be surprised if UNO gets more than a split. I don't see UMD jumping these two teams for 1st or second place in the conference, so I'd be surprised to see any other team besides UNO or UND winning the Penrose.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                I will admit it was quite the accomplishment for a terrible Omaha team to come into REA and get one whole tie against the Mighty Former Sioux. Then since UND was feeling extra generous that night they even allowed UNO to win the shootout. This feat, even though it was gifted to them, has to be the highlight of the season thus far for the fake Mavs.
                I know it's the calling card of message boards to get a rise out of people and bait them. Sorry, not taking it. I'll just say, there were only two games played. One of them UND won. The other was a tie. And if you know much about the history of the UND/UNO series, you might know the Sioux's record at the Ralph against UNO isn't all that impressive. At all.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  This will be a fun series to watch. I just have a feeling it will be a split, I'd be surprised if UNO gets more than a split. I don't see UMD jumping these two teams for 1st or second place in the conference, so I'd be surprised to see any other team besides UNO or UND winning the Penrose.
                  Well of course UMD isn't going to jump either UND or UNO. The Bullpuppies actually lost to the Inferior Mavs. How embarrassing is that?
                  Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

John Buccigross with his current top 10, since it has some relevance here:

https://***********/Buccigross/statu...95016792739840

Be interesting to see which UNO team shows up this weekend. The one that has played far above expectations or the one that has played like it has 12 newcomers on it (11, now, with the loss of Montgomery) and has some stinkers, like the 8-2 loss at Miami back in early December, the home tie against UAH later in the same month, followed by a home loss to New Hampshire on New Year's Eve that became the first game I have ever walked out on before it was over.

I will say this, we've had our problems when the other team has tried to make the game physical and take the play to us. That happened in both the Miami and New Hampshire losses. It was pretty obvious that Miami came out in the 2nd period of that one with this as their modus operandi. You could almost sense that Enrico Blasi told his guys between periods to go out there and hit guys and be very physical because that is exactly what happened from there on out. And, our reaction was to look and play very intimidated. That team had better not show itself this weekend.

Senior defenseman Brain O'Rourke was suspended by the league for two games last weekend for a head contact penalty at CC (for which he got a major, an interference call, but not a game misconduct) and the 2nd game of that suspension is this Friday night.

Comment

I know it's the calling card of message boards to get a rise out of people and bait them. Sorry, not taking it. I'll just say, there were only two games played. One of them UND won. The other was a tie. And if you know much about the history of the UND/UNO series, you might know the Sioux's record at the Ralph against UNO isn't all that impressive. At all.
                      And when I say it isn't all that impressive, I'm suggesting that if UND is sooo dominant over the fake Mavs, why can't they seem to sweep? Forgot...everytime UNO beats the Sioux it's a gift. My bad.

Comment

And when I say it isn't all that impressive, I'm suggesting that if UND is sooo dominant over the fake Mavs, why can't they seem to sweep? Forgot...everytime UNO beats the Sioux it's a gift. My bad.
                        There was really no need to quote yourself, but to your credit you did pretty much get the response correct. I don't see why you are complaining about it though. A gift is always nice to receive no matter what it is. The least you could do is say thank you.
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

I don't think he is saying North Dakota is dominant over UNO. What he seems to be saying is that the games against UNO have been so unimportant that North Dakota has never needed to sweep them. Why would North Dakota players get amped to play a team in the bottom half of the conference that they have no history with?
                          Originally posted by SJHovey
                          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                          Originally posted by Brenthoven
                          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I've never seen a fanbase get so excited over a regular season shoot-out win/tie thingy... I wonder if there is a new banner for that hanging at the centurylink?

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                              I see a split, too.

I wish I was a confident as you are about the Penrose.

Given our late season track record the past 3 years, I am firmly in the "show me something" camp. And, they can do that by acquitting themselves well this weekend in a huge, huge series. We play well and get beat, well, that's the way the cookie crumbles, sometimes. If we lay an egg, or are otherwise embarrassed, then the howling about Coach Blais and what has happened here, late, the past 3 seasons is going to begin anew.

I want to be optimistic and I am certainly stoked for this weekend (like no other, ever) but as a UNO fan I don't have much basis for feeling that way.

My biggest hopes and expectations for this team and the program were actually for NEXT season, not really this one. New arena, another great class, everybody a year older......................The only concern I have about next season as I write this is, who's playing goalie?

I am counting a bit on the intangible this weekend of the players being super-stoked for these games as well as getting to play them in front of what will probably be the two largest crowds of the season. There will likely be a larger than normal student presence this weekend as well, that adds to the atmosphere, as there is not, normally, a huge student presence at our home games. There has been, though, for just about every North Dakota home game we've ever played, though. Brand names sell tickets. Games against those teams that actually mean something sell even more of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X