Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech, best season in 30 years, part two!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Listened to tonight's game, and even Dirk wasn't really ripping the refs. MSU is no slouch. And there is no shame in losing to them. Good test of what's to come, come tourney time, though. MTU is in, which is HUGE, obviously. I'd call this weekend a success, given the recent history of MTU hockey.
    No, Dirk wasn't, because he generally doesn't. But he does point out calls that should be made. My counter last night was up to 5. We got exactly 1 PP. Tech was playing no different than they were at times - the difference to the officials when we were, they weren't? Really?

And again, the officials were not the difference in the outcome - but they sure didn't help for momentum's sake or for fair play.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Things I'd like to see us better at.
      1. Pk. 2. PP. 3. Blocking shots 4. Coming out of the zone under a heavy forecheck. 5. Dealing with the hacking.

I wonder if we will see Davis next week.
      To be honest, needs to be:
      1. Blocking Shots (helps the PK in turn)
      2. PP (of course if we don't get any, what's the use there?)
      3. Zone breakout under heavy forechecking
      4. Will and determination.
      5. Desperation.

The one thing I was really happy about from this weekend, they never stopped playing. They gave it their all.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech, best season in 30 years, part two!

The Mankato broadcast team was talking about a tiebreaker for the Cup.
        If 2 teams finish tied, I would assume the tiebreaker settles playoff seed, but the two would be co- regular season champs and co-keepers of the cup.

I am not holding out much hope, but anything can happen and Bemidji is fighting for home ice.

Mankato almost got it last year, but carried through to win the playoff championship, all the fans need to relax and remember it is a process. Making the WCHA title game is the team's next immediate goal. Anyone know what the discussion between Hastings and Shawhan at the end of the first period was about? He shot down to Shawhan so quickly, but it diffused rather quickly.
        Last edited by Huskiefan906; 03-01-2015, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
          The Mankato broadcast team was talking about a tiebreaker for the Cup.
          If 2 teams finish tied, I would assume the tiebreaker settles playoff seed, but the two would be co- regular season champs and co-keepers of the cup.

I am not holding out much hope, but anything can happen and Bemidji is fighting for home ice.

Mankato almost got it last year, but carried through to win the playoff championship, all the fans need to relax and remember it is a process. Making the WCHA title game is the team's next immediate goal. Anyone know what the discussion between Hastings and Shawhan at the end of the first period was about? He shot down to Shawhan so quickly, but it diffused rather quickly.
          I'm pretty sure you're right. I think it was just a couple years ago with Minnesota and SCSU that both got to skate with the cup (Not 100% certain on that). Tiebreakers are only for playoff seeding.

Comment

Disappointing weekend. Mankato is a **** good team, but a team we can beat, we just didn't play well enough this weekend. I do think these 2 teams are fairly even, despite the disparity in head to head records. I couldn't help but think after the game last night that the game Mankato plays is just a really tough matchup for Tech. It would be nice to see Mankato on the opposite side of the bracket come late March.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

woke up just plain depressed about the weekend.

but keeping it in perspective - as a #3 team we just battled a #2 team - we lost but not by much. we will finish 2nd in the WCHA. most likely we will be in the tournament. who would have thought this a year ago? the NCAAs! I thought that would be years down the road!
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                and did it get posted that Tanner Kero is up for the CLASS award?
                Vote early and often. The votes actually mean something in this one. http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/hockey_2014-15/
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                  I'm pretty sure you're right. I think it was just a couple years ago with Minnesota and SCSU that both got to skate with the cup (Not 100% certain on that). Tiebreakers are only for playoff seeding.
                  They both got the Cup, but SCSU was all pizzy because our coach had the trophy in his minivan and SCSU couldn't skate around with the trophy at their game.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    Things I'd like to see us better at... 4. Coming out of the zone under a heavy forecheck.
                    I gave myself the evening away from posting to let this weekend sink in a bit. I would agree with #4 is the biggest difference between games that Tech wins and games that they don't. I saw a lot of dump the puck off the boards out of the D-zone and a lot of dump and chase in the O-zone (when we were actually across center ice). I am surprised to see that Mel was more pleased with Saturday's game. Regardless of the score, I don't think Tech carried the play for more than 10 minutes total on Saturday night. Most of the game was played in Tech's D-zone. A lot of bad passes by both teams, but since Tech had the puck so little, any missed pass seemed to be that much more crucial. Tech just seemed to be off their game. Whether it was a better team across the ice or pressure to win I do not know.

Tech needs to be focused on sweeping NMU (one of two WCHA teams they have not beaten) and then let the chips fall where they may. BSU is going to be hungry and its their barn. MSU needs two points to lock up the cup as their own. Tech just needs to get four points and then get ready for the playoffs. There is still a chance that Anchorage ends up in Houghton in two weeks. After what Tech did to them in their barn, I don't want to see them again this season. They would be highly motivated.

Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                      Minnesota got to skate with the Cup the night they clinched a share of the title in Bemidji because they still had possession of the trophy from the previous year after the WCHA never bothered to get it back. St. Cloud had to wait until the next weekend's playoffs even though they held the tiebreaker over Minnesota and were top seed in the playoffs. It seems like the league office has their stuff a little more together these days.

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                      Anyone know what the discussion between Hastings and Shawhan at the end of the first period was about? He shot down to Shawhan so quickly, but it diffused rather quickly.
                      Just minor heat-of-the-moment stuff. Mel came over to apologize to Hastings after the game but it was all water under the bridge by that point.
                      Originally posted by dicaslover
                      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Maybe I'm all wet, but it seem like as a player, you get into a rhythm of play and get used to about how long you have to get rid of the puck. When the time gets cut down you struggle to do it faster, and you make bad passes. I'm guessing that's what happened with us. Not only are passes more difficult to make due to pressure, but the guys you would normally pass to are covered and the process of deciding what to do next takes time you don't have.

Thus the dump out.

I'm wondering from people who were there,... if we were getting to loose pucks first, or if we were just not quick enough. Because of course quickness and speed are not the same. We scored when we could use our speed, which wasn't all that often.
                        It also looked like, even though we won our share of face-offs, we still lost possession due to the quick pressure being applied.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I don't think it's any secret that the memo on Tech all year has been to forecheck aggressively and force the play. That is how Mankato swept them in Houghton, and how Michigan edged them at the GLI after getting kitty-raped at the MacInnes two months prior. Other teams have done it as well, but haven't had the talent to capitalize on the turnovers. Mankato absolutely does.

I think if we had gone into this series after playing Bemidji real close, we would've looked better. Instead, the Huskies had the chance to get overconfident by blowing out a bad UAA team, then had a weekend "off". I figured things were not promising when Mel indicated last week that he thought we were too excited. There's a difference between good energy and bad energy.

Hopefully, this series brings them back to earth a bit after that 8-0 run and gets them focused on NMU.

Comment

I said it after getting swept by mankato in November...all they have to do is end the season the way the started and everything in the middle won't matter. That starts with the next game 10-0 to end the season makes us national champs!
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                              Minnesota got to skate with the Cup the night they clinched a share of the title in Bemidji because they still had possession of the trophy from the previous year after the WCHA never bothered to get it back. St. Cloud had to wait until the next weekend's playoffs even though they held the tiebreaker over Minnesota and were top seed in the playoffs. It seems like the league office has their stuff a little more together these days.

Just minor heat-of-the-moment stuff. Mel came over to apologize to Hastings after the game but it was all water under the bridge by that point.
                              We were defending champs, therefore we had the right to skate with the trophy first. SCSU fans don't like that fact, but that's the breaks.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Huge games this weekend. We may not control the league race any more, but a sweep against NMU actually means a realistic chance of a top 4 pairwise ranking depending on how the NCHC series come out. I did my best guess at the NCHC games and got a top 4 with a sweep of NMU, 7th with a split and 8th with an egg.

Comment

Working...
                                X