Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech, best season in 30 years, part two!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech, best season in 30 years, part two!

While I don't necessarily feel that he is the best choice, it is interesting to see that Mel failed to get a mention in today's TMQ column as a Penrose candidate. When Pearson came in, he had far less to work with than Hastings did in their respective turnaround efforts, and he had to reinvent a culture where absolutely no one cared about winning hockey games anymore. Recall that Hastings actually turned the Tech job down before the admin circled back to Mel. I think that even with other considerations to be made, that says at least a little bit about how other candidates vetted during the hiring process felt about our odds of righting the ship, even with the increased resources.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
      But we didn't get Sam Kauppila, Jimmy Schuldt or Dante Hannoun. Although we are a more attractive program now than we were a year ago. You never know.

Apparently there's another Blake Pietila (15-year-old goalie playing bantam AAA for Compuware) who is interested in Tech.
      8 players with Pietila blood have played for MTU and there are a bunch of young ones playing hockey. Interesting to see how many more will have the opportunity. There are a few more playing AAA downstate and I believe some playing Minnesota High School.

Whitten has apparently joked with the downstaters that he is going to intercept that pipeline, that will be interesting to watch as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        While I don't necessarily feel that he is the best choice, it is interesting to see that Mel failed to get a mention in today's TMQ column as a Penrose candidate. When Pearson came in, he had far less to work with than Hastings did in their respective turnaround efforts, and he had to reinvent a culture where absolutely no one cared about winning hockey games anymore. Recall that Hastings actually turned the Tech job down before the admin circled back to Mel. I think that even with other considerations to be made, that says at least a little bit about how other candidates vetted during the hiring process felt about our odds of righting the ship, even with the increased resources.
        I noticed that too and could only think they just assume it will be tMel. perhaps he is permanently coach of the year?
        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Jamie Phillips comes in at 76 on SBN College Hockey top 100 NHL Prospects...
          http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015...ugherty-walman
          I'm kinda shocked that he makes top 100 over 2 of Kero, Petan, Pietila, Watson.
          Still no sign of the other Michigan Tech Husky on the list...they've revealed 61-100 so far.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I'm sure you all dislike the Bears, but I see a resemblance...
            *******http://i.imgur.com/A2HihH0.png********
            One is "Da Coach" and one is "tMEL"
            Last edited by HawkeyHuskyFan; 02-24-2015, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
              8 players with Pietila blood have played for MTU and there are a bunch of young ones playing hockey. Interesting to see how many more will have the opportunity. There are a few more playing AAA downstate and I believe some playing Minnesota High School.

Whitten has apparently joked with the downstaters that he is going to intercept that pipeline, that will be interesting to watch as well.
              Correction, I believe there is only 7.

Comment

playoffstatus.com is fascinating right now.

http://playoffstatus.com/ncaahockey/...nseedprob.html
                Probability of MTU being a #1 seed: 65%
                Probability of MTU being a #1 or #2 seed: 98%
                Probability of MTU making the NCAA tournament: >99%

http://playoffstatus.com/ncaahockey/...rformprob.html
                Probability of MTU making it to the Frozen Four in Boston: 34%
                Probability of MTU winning their 4th NCAA Title: 9%
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Like all Mav fans, I think Coach Hastings is the best, but I am a little surprised he's the frontrunner over Mel. Our season has been terrific, but we were picked to win the conference. We won 24 two years ago and 26 last year, so we're not exactly just bursting onto the scene
                  Last edited by purpleinnebraska; 02-24-2015, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    Probability of MTU winning their 4th NCAA Title: 9%
                    ... so you're telling me there's a chance.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I was out googling stuff and came upon this. It was all I could do to not call the guy up that very second.

http://college.usatoday.com/2015/01/...ns-ice-hockey/
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Any word on if the games will be on Charter in Houghton?
                        MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                        2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
                          Any word on if the games will be on Charter in Houghton?
                          Not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            I was out googling stuff and came upon this. It was all I could do to not call the guy up that very second.

Oh, pshaw - did you go to Tech based on its ranking in the US News & World Report (or any other silly "best of" ranking)? If I had, today I'd be a hell of a lot more arrogant and wearing maize & blue. I'd probably care about lists like this one.

You'll note that five of the ten schools listed are eastern schools, and ND may as well count as eastern in a list that includes Providence and BC. Of the remaining four, three are nationally familiar B1G schools (shocker). Lots of ego stroking going on there. But hey, we beat Hahvahd and tUMD (along with the rest of the WCHA)!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Oh, pshaw - did you go to Tech based on its ranking in the US News & World Report (or any other silly "best of" ranking)? If I had, today I'd be a hell of a lot more arrogant and wearing maize & blue. I'd probably care about lists like this one.

You'll note that five of the ten schools listed are eastern schools, and ND may as well count as eastern in a list that includes Providence and BC. Of the remaining four, three are nationally familiar B1G schools (shocker). Lots of ego stroking going on there. But hey, we beat Hahvahd and tUMD (along with the rest of the WCHA)!
                              All that's true, and I'd also say it was maybe the worst researched article on anything I've ever read. Having said that, the comments by UND fans at the end were really funny. The whole thing was bad from start to finish. I don't think anyone in Boston thinks of BC as an elite school academically for instance..
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                Actually if you click on the link in the article and read the basis of the rankings is has pretty much nothing to do with hockey on the ice. A better title for the ranking would have been Top 10 Universities that have D-I hockey teams. The ironic part is how many D-I hockey players are picking their school based on its academic qualities? (I would guess less than 25% and most of them are in the ECAC or AH.)

Some of the criteria used for this ranking include:
                                Athletic Competitiveness (win/loss percentage of last season ONLY)
                                Overall College Quality (whatever that is)
                                Academic Progress Rate
                                Athletic Aid Per Student
                                Financial Resources

No surprise that Tech, or many other very good hockey programs are not on that "top 10". Besides, mentioning Michigan Tech is not going to get 95% of America to read the USA Today. I also agree with Fade - I feel no need to defend something I already know to be great.

Sort of like last winter when Accuweather posted a list of Top 10 snowiest campuses. Tech was #1 on their list, that's right #1. However when Fox News picked up the story, they dropped Michigan Tech from the list and added Dartmouth at #10. You can't tell me their cut and paste was broke that week. It was simply tweaking the story to get better readership. Don't let facts get in the way of getting more clicks on the Interwebs...

Accuweather - MTU #1
                                http://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-...acros/22129751

Fox News - MTU didn't make the list
                                http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2014/...olleges-in-us/
                                Ryan J
                                Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 02-25-2015, 10:08 AM. Reason: It wasn't USA Today... it was Fox News (about the same)
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X