Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech, best season in 30 years, part two!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech, best season in 30 years, part two!

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I'm willing to bet that MTU will be in Fargo or South Bend, for travel/attendance purposes. Of course, that depends on what other teams are seeded at.
    I doubt it. Tech will end where they fall based on where other teams are placed. No reason to put anyone in Fargo for attendance reasons, good attendance is guaranteed to be good due to UND. Shorter travel may get teams shifted to Fargo, though.

Tech in South Bend isn't a home run either, they'd fall behind Miami, BGSU, Duluth, Michigan and Minnesota for preference to have in South Bend, and all of those teams seem likely to end up ranked similar to Tech. Because of this, I think South Bend is the least likely landing spot for Tech. It'll be East or Fargo.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I doubt it. Tech will end where they fall based on where other teams are placed. No reason to put anyone in Fargo for attendance reasons, good attendance is guaranteed to be good due to UND. Shorter travel may get teams shifted to Fargo, though.

Tech in South Bend isn't a home run either, they'd fall behind Miami, BGSU, Duluth, Michigan and Minnesota for preference to have in South Bend, and all of those teams seem likely to end up ranked similar to Tech. Because of this, I think South Bend is the least likely landing spot for Tech. It'll be East or Fargo.
      If the NCAA has a chance to send MN to Fargo, they'll do it. And, unfairly, tUMD also. That would leave MIA and BGSU and MI. Depending on seeding (haven't looked up MIA/BG), I could see a "great lakes" style regional at South Bend. Honestly, it's all a crapshoot this early anyway. MN moved up 6 spots and not b/c of their win last night. Need to wait another 2-3 weeks, to settle the volatility.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

If the NCAA has a chance to send MN to Fargo, they'll do it. And, unfairly, tUMD also. That would leave MIA and BGSU and MI. Depending on seeding (haven't looked up MIA/BG), I could see a "great lakes" style regional at South Bend. Honestly, it's all a crapshoot this early anyway. MN moved up 6 spots and not b/c of their win last night. Need to wait another 2-3 weeks, to settle the volatility.
        To be honest I really don't care where MN goes.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          To be honest I really don't care where MN goes.
          Of course you don't.

However, given proximity (travel) and the conference splits, where MN goes (or where Kato/tUMD go) could affect where MTU goes. That whole "western hockey" thing.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I agree that they will try to get minnesota based teams to Fargo. As far as UMTC, they better hope Harvard, Yale, St Lawrence, Vermont all keep losing. I was impressed with how they played this weekend though.

A split with michigan leaves them at 17 or 18. They need to get to 13 to be safe, and if Northeastern wins the Beanpot that's another team to worry about.And if they do go to Fargo it's most likely as a 3 or 4 seed.

For us, both Providence and Q pac play much like Ferris, defensive and counter attack, but with more snipers than Ferris has at the moment.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Of course you don't.

However, given proximity (travel) and the conference splits, where MN goes (or where Kato/tUMD go) could affect where MTU goes. That whole "western hockey" thing.
              There are more western teams in the top 16 than eastern, someone has to go east. Given Tech's location and lack of attendance history, I think its a good chance its Tech going east.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• I ran some numbers. Even if tech wins out, if Mankato wins their other games they will likely still be #1 and if und is also a one seed then that means tech probably goes east. For tech to be in south bend, either und needs to lose the #1 seed or tech needs to lose a couple to come in at a 2 or 3 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                  I ran some numbers. Even if tech wins out, if Mankato wins their other games they will likely still be #1 and if und is also a one seed then that means tech probably goes east. For tech to be in south bend, either und needs to lose the #1 seed or tech needs to lose a couple to come in at a 2 or 3 seed.
                  UND is guaranteed Fargo. To get south bend we will need to be the 8th or 9th seed, going with the assumption that Mankato is #1 overall.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                    Also submitted a cream jersey order to Shirtless. I am up here for carny and just bought the black away jersey and gold jersey. I love both of those but my most wanted jersey was the cream one so being able to get it is awesome. I would like to co!plete the set with the home jersey but it's just really plain and my least favorite of our current designs so I'm holding off on it.
                    o

Is it too late to try to get in on this Jersey thing? I have zero jerseys and I think this season requires an investment!

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      UND is guaranteed Fargo. To get south bend we will need to be the 8th or 9th seed, going with the assumption that Mankato is #1 overall.
                      Understood. However if und is not a number 1 seed, then Mankato could go there as the number one, freeing up south bend for tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Mel View Post
                        o

Is it too late to try to get in on this Jersey thing? I have zero jerseys and I think this season requires an investment!
                        Send me an email through this site.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                          Understood. However if und is not a number 1 seed, then Mankato could go there as the number one, freeing up south bend for tech.
                          Correct. This would mean you'd expect Tech to get into the top 4. I hope you're right!

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            Correct. This would mean you'd expect Tech to get into the top 4. I hope you're right!
                            Yes. Although Expect is a strong word. As most tech fans my age I'm inherently pessimistic. I started with the analysis of losing all their games to see where that put them. I worked up from there.

Comment

Tech has proven they can win on the road. we have lots of alums out east and we do travel well. we will be able to turn out a crowd. there are a lot of teams out east I'd rather play than same old UND or Michigan or Minnesota. I think we could make a lot of noise in an eastern location. other than ease of fan travel I'd rather see us out there.
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                                I think we could make a lot of noise in an eastern location.
                                Of all the teams I've seen at our rink, Tech fans have traveled the best. Take away the student section, and Tech fans would have outcheered the BG fans.
                                BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Working...
                                X