This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maine Hockey 2014-15 Volume 2: Red's Revenge

Alternate title: the at least we took 3/4 from UNH this year version.

Re: Maine Hockey 2014-15 Volume 2: Red's Revenge

Total joy to be in Lake Whit last night for the battle for 10th! A couple of observations. Those of you who are harping on our 'tenders, we are fine for the next 3 years. Morris and Romeo may not be Howard and Doyle or Dunham and Snow, but they are better than many combos we have had of late.

Secondly officiating decisions last night on disallowed goals were idiotic!!!! Final should have been 5-0 or 5-1! No question Higgins goal should have counted after watching the replay today. And that was the quietest I have ever witnessed in Durham. When Maine took the 3-0 lead 1/2 the student section evacuated like it was a fire drill.

Both Morris and Romeo have made critical saves early in wins of late. But despite the difference in shots last night Maine went to the net and UNH was satisfied to get the first shot but not fight for the 2nd.

First line of Shore, Swavely and Vesey is a nice combo and good to see Brown snipe one. Have been critical of the effort at times, but very satisfied with how Maine finished their chances last night. Hoping they can continue to build upon these wins. But thanks for a fun night in Durham!

Comment

Pardon my ignorance but I am still a newb when it comes to NCAA hockey. So Maine has to finish in the top eight in Hockey East to have any chance of advancing correct?

Comment

Also, I was thinking of going down for the Notre Dame game on Feb 7th. Think it will be a sure sell out?
        I will probably get my tickets in advance regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
          Pardon my ignorance but I am still a newb when it comes to NCAA hockey. So Maine has to finish in the top eight in Hockey East to have any chance of advancing correct?
          No, Maine has to win the HE tournament to have any chance of making ncaas.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            No, Maine has to win the HE tournament to have any chance of making ncaas.
            So 2nd wouldn't even be good enough?

Comment

So 2nd wouldn't even be good enough?
              For most teams, in most years, 2nd place in the conference tournament is more than good enough. The NCAA selection criteria considers the entire season, though. And that's what kills Maine, even if they continue with a winning record in the remaining games.

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi...kings/d-i-men/

There's only room for 16. Also, teams that wouldn't otherwise make the tournament can qualify by winning their conference tournament (Maine would be an example). So you're not safe if you're just 16th in PWR rankings. Need to be top 12-14. Lots of hockey left, and maybe Maine puts together a nice stretch in the second half. Maybe. But they fell so far in the first half that, realistically, the NCAAs are out, barring a hockey east tournament title.
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

They have explained the NCAA tourney to you.......but maybe you meant advancing in Hockey East playoffs?

The top 4 teams get a first round bye. The bottom 8 play first round series with 5 hosting 12, 6 hosting 11, 7 hosting 10, and 8 hosting 9. Hope this helps as well.

Comment

Also, I was thinking of going down for the Notre Dame game on Feb 7th. Think it will be a sure sell out?
                  I will probably get my tickets in advance regardless.
                  Good idea to get tickets in advance for this one. This is the first visit by Notre Dame to Orono in many years.....and the first as a member of Hockey East. Both nights will probably be pretty packed.....even more so if Maine keeps winning between now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                    Total joy to be in Lake Whit last night for the battle for 10th! A couple of observations. Those of you who are harping on our 'tenders, we are fine for the next 3 years. Morris and Romeo may not be Howard and Doyle or Dunham and Snow, but they are better than many combos we have had of late.

Secondly officiating decisions last night on disallowed goals were idiotic!!!! Final should have been 5-0 or 5-1! No question Higgins goal should have counted after watching the replay today. And that was the quietest I have ever witnessed in Durham. When Maine took the 3-0 lead 1/2 the student section evacuated like it was a fire drill.

Both Morris and Romeo have made critical saves early in wins of late. But despite the difference in shots last night Maine went to the net and UNH was satisfied to get the first shot but not fight for the 2nd.

First line of Shore, Swavely and Vesey is a nice combo and good to see Brown snipe one. Have been critical of the effort at times, but very satisfied with how Maine finished their chances last night. Hoping they can continue to build upon these wins. But thanks for a fun night in Durham!
                    Glad to see that Romeo and Morris are playing better...been hard on them/yes...but for good reasons...thinking maybe a ROTATION of both could be the best for them and Maine...Romeo on Fridays/Morris on Saturdays and when they play Sundays...but as I said before Goaltending is KEY to the rebuild of Maine...and improved recruiting the next few years also.

Comment

Still no Musil?

I assume he won't be back next year seeing as he's not on a scholarship and isn't playing?

Comment

Now tied for 41!!

Comment

Originally posted by Waterboy View Post
                          Still no Musil?

I assume he won't be back next year seeing as he's not on a scholarship and isn't playing?
                          He may not be back but it's not uncommon for freshman to sit
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I dunno, maybe Maine only plays well on national TV, but they didn't look bad at all to me after Morris bailed his team out in the early going. As others have said, the goaltending seems to be shaping-up.

I think a realistic goal for this team is to shoot for a winning season, home-ice in the first round of the HEA tournament and getting to the second round. I won't bet the farm on it, but I believe that it's doable.

As happy as I was with the Maine sweep, it was nearly as much fun to watch Minny drop two to hated in-State rivals Mankato and Duluth, and fall out of the PW. (No, I will never forget!)

Comment

I thought they looked pretty decent too. Unlike the BC game, they actually were pretty good passing, and made a bunch of pretty plays. And while Morris did save their bacon, I didn't think the D looked too bad. They may have given up a bunch of chances, but at least they weren't giving the puck right back to UHN forwards like they did with BC, and managed to clear the zone pretty effectively.

I'm wondering if Morris' improvement is due to him finally feeling healthy, or having confidence that his knee isn't gonna give out on him at any time. Or perhaps he sent some tape to Grant over the holiday break? Shore as well, is it maybe because he's finally getting back to 100%?
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                              X