Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXII: No Where To Go But Up!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXII: No Where To Go But Up!

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
    I have a feeling that the next month will be a great one for Badger hockey.
    People keep referring to attendance in this thread, but I ran the numbers and they've still had "reported" attendance averaging 10,886 per game throughout the season (9793 - Friday night, 12116 - Saturday night.) Of course, those aren't the people in the door, but are the actual sold tickets. (Just for comparison, last year was 8977 - Friday Night, 11980 - Saturday night (with 2 sellouts in there on Saturday.))

If I had to venture a guess, I would say that there are roughly 7,500 to 8,000 season tickets for Friday and 8,500 to 9,000 for Saturday nights (if you were to guess at a 10-25% walk up rate for both nights. Those estimates are based on the early attendance numbers for some of the games. Ferris State 11/28 - 9217, Ferris State 11/29 - 10044, Penn State 12/5 - 8957, Penn State 12/6 - 10091.)

If they didn't take a hit, I would be shocked, but I can't see the ticket numbers falling as far or as fast as some in here are thinking that they will. Of course, I'm just an idiot fan, so what do I know?
    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
      No, maybe they will be able to complete the drive for 5 (wins) and then the whole staff gets canned......that was more my thoughts on what will be a great month.
      I knew exactly what you meant; I was being facetious.

Also, how about the women bring some hardware home.
      That is also a drive for 5.

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
        People keep referring to attendance in this thread, but I ran the numbers and they've still had "reported" attendance averaging 10,886 per game throughout the season (9793 - Friday night, 12116 - Saturday night.) Of course, those aren't the people in the door, but are the actual sold tickets. (Just for comparison, last year was 8977 - Friday Night, 11980 - Saturday night (with 2 sellouts in there on Saturday.))

If I had to venture a guess, I would say that there are roughly 7,500 to 8,000 season tickets for Friday and 8,500 to 9,000 for Saturday nights (if you were to guess at a 10-25% walk up rate for both nights. Those estimates are based on the early attendance numbers for some of the games. Ferris State 11/28 - 9217, Ferris State 11/29 - 10044, Penn State 12/5 - 8957, Penn State 12/6 - 10091.)

If they didn't take a hit, I would be shocked, but I can't see the ticket numbers falling as far or as fast as some in here are thinking that they will. Of course, I'm just an idiot fan, so what do I know?
        Season ticket numbers aren't close to that. IIRC, neither night has over 6,000. (They didn't last season, anyway.)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

While there is a correlation between winning and paid attendance there appears to be an even stronger correlation between paid attendance and general economic conditions. i.e. UW hockey paid attendance has also mirrored rising and falling national college hockey attendance which has mirrored rising and falling economic conditions nationwide to an extent. Improving economic conditions may very well mitigate some of the attendees lost due to dissatisfaction with the program. If continuing improvement in economic conditions in the future combine with a winning team in the future, it's possible that the loss of dissatisfied attendees could be rendered irrelevant at some point (from a strictly financial perspective.)
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by joeyv View Post
            I have been very quiet this year. I don't visit USCHO too often anymore. I have been watching with utter disdain the dismantling of a proud tradition of excellence built by Badger Bob and continued by Jeff Sauer by Mike Eaves, Barry Alvarez, and an apathetic athletic department and I am thoroughly disgusted by all of it.

I have been to 4-5 games this season. I have watched an outmatched, outworked, talentless (with the exception of a few), lethargic, and clueless team get their asses handed to them nearly every night. How are than ANY DEFENDERS OF MIKE EAVES LEFT? It is time to dump Eaves, dump his staff, and put this club back where it belongs: competing for national titles EVERY year. No other situation is acceptable to me.

I have watched Wisconsin Hockey for 39 years. This is the WORST hockey team I have ever seen put on the ice. They are losing recruits (e.g. Brock Boeser, et al), losing on the ice, and embarrassing the fan base.

Those of you on this board who know me, know my knowledge of the program and the game, and know my loyalty to the program can attest to the fact that I don't talk like this about UW Hockey. I have voiced my concerns to the athletic department and I have told them in no uncertain terms that the fan base is ready to bail if something doesn't change and change quickly. That starts with Eaves and ends with Eaves. Thank you for your service...goodbye. There can be no defending this year's disgrace and he's lost his team, lost his fans, and is losing the base of the program in recruiting battles he cannot win. Does anyone on this board honestly believe that next year is going to be a return to the lofty status we expect? Really? Be honest....

Its been a horrible year. The worst I can ever remember.

Wisconsin Hockey: Bottom Basement.
            I agree X11,000,000
            Competing for ncaa titles annually should be the goal. Changing recruiting landscapes, greater competition etc., are all excuses for poor performance or underperformance in both recruiting and on the ice
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              While there is a correlation between winning and paid attendance there appears to be an even stronger correlation between paid attendance and general economic conditions. i.e. UW hockey paid attendance has also mirrored rising and falling national college hockey attendance which has mirrored rising and falling economic conditions nationwide to an extent. Improving economic conditions may very well mitigate some of the attendees lost due to dissatisfaction with the program. If continuing improvement in economic conditions in the future combine with a winning team in the future, it's possible that the loss of dissatisfied attendees could be rendered irrelevant at some point (from a strictly financial perspective.)
              Here are some highlights of Wisko from this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfAeMtcURg0

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                That's my thought. I think they're going to be willing to ride this out as long as butts are still in the seats. My guess is that Eaves will have a "short leash" for next year, but will end up sticking around for the foreseeable future. (Not what I want, but what I think will happen.)
                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

I am looking forward to a more NCs than season wins t-shirt being created. 6 > 5 (if you are hopeful), 6 > 4 (if you are less hopeful)

6>5, not just a slam on minnesota hockey anymore. Now we can make fun of ourselves: the idiot fans. Thanks Gary!
                  Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                  Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                  Originally posted by UWisco
                  It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                    That's my thought. I think they're going to be willing to ride this out as long as butts are still in the seats. My guess is that Eaves will have a "short leash" for next year, but will end up sticking around for the foreseeable future. (Not what I want, but what I think will happen.)
                    I unfortunately agree with you. I have a feeling assistant coaches might not escape the ax though.
                    Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                    Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                    Originally posted by UWisco
                    It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                      You're sensing a 7-game postseason winning streak, eh?
                      If this actually happened UW would need to change their emblem to a troll face.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                        If this actually happened UW would need to change their emblem to a troll face.
                        I don't know what would be more fun, watching the run of a 7 game win streak to a NCAA title or the comments on here about the win streak and title.

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                          A question I have is re: Auston Matthews...why add UW to the mix T this late a date with the team sitting at 4-24-4 and an average recruiting class coming in next year?

Could EODS be right? It doesn't make sense to me for this kid to even consider another school at this time unless a change has been discussed or?
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Doubt anyone trusts that kind of info to a kid. Also - could it be a violation if he knows that before the fact?

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              A question I have is re: Auston Matthews...why add UW to the mix T this late a date with the team sitting at 4-24-4 and an average recruiting class coming in next year?

Could EODS be right? It doesn't make sense to me for this kid to even consider another school at this time unless a change has been discussed or?
                              Don't know but a consideration might be that UW might not have had scholarship $$ this year before Ford and Boeser bailed.

Another might be that UW has developed more pros than the Everett Silvertips who own his rights. These guys do talk to each other and although it's all pretty wishful thinking IMO at this point his current team Captain and goalie will be here along with Jack D and Ryan Wagner off last year's team...
                              And Tkachuk of course, as soon as they sign him and Jones too...
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Or perhaps Matthews will sign and the London Knights will trade for his rights this summer and then he bails out. Wouldn't that really seem the most likely of scenarios?
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X