• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI Hockey 2014-2015 Part II: Dedicated to Rich Curadi

Part I: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...to-Rich-Curadi
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI Hockey 2014-2015 Part II: Dedicated to Rich Curadi

Wow, it got locked? Must be something that runs every couple of months rather than every hour.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Wow, it got locked? Must be something that runs every couple of months rather than every hour.
      Probably Board did it manually.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Ralph-Thanks for keeping the title as a Part II. It is the least we can do for a really top notch family. Now that we are finished with that meaningless game, hopefully no one got hurt or suspended. Let's get ready for the rest of the 9 game ECAC season that every point counts. Dartmouth on the road will be difficult as usual. Anyone got any ideas if changes need to be made in the line up? Taking Melanson away from Nanne has not seemed to be a good move for Nanne. If Miller gets healthy i sure would put that MNM line back together. Melanson has showed he can play well and score even on a fourth line but his speed might be better used with other linemates. Defensive pairings might be the key though for the remainder of the season. We have been scoring a bit better but the defense has again begun to look a bit disorganized as we leave our goaltender out there without the support he needs. I have no clue who should be out there together but i do know that what we had out against Union got taken to school quite a bit.
        It is pretty basic now-we have 9 games left in league play. What do we have to do to finish top 4 and get that all important bye and home ice? We have some tough road trips ahead as the north country is starting to look rather imposing and we have never had a great amount of success there over the years and i would not count on the C/C trip as going nearly as well as their visit to Troy did. How many points would likely guarantee a top 4? Do we need to amass 12 more points in 9 games?
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          Ralph-Thanks for keeping the title as a Part II. It is the least we can do for a really top notch family.
          That was more or less agreed upon when we neared 1000 posts on the old thread.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Ralph-Thanks for keeping the title as a Part II. It is the least we can do for a really top notch family. Now that we are finished with that meaningless game, hopefully no one got hurt or suspended. Let's get ready for the rest of the 9 game ECAC season that every point counts. Dartmouth on the road will be difficult as usual. Anyone got any ideas if changes need to be made in the line up? Taking Melanson away from Nanne has not seemed to be a good move for Nanne. If Miller gets healthy i sure would put that MNM line back together. Melanson has showed he can play well and score even on a fourth line but his speed might be better used with other linemates. Defensive pairings might be the key though for the remainder of the season. We have been scoring a bit better but the defense has again begun to look a bit disorganized as we leave our goaltender out there without the support he needs. I have no clue who should be out there together but i do know that what we had out against Union got taken to school quite a bit.
            It is pretty basic now-we have 9 games left in league play. What do we have to do to finish top 4 and get that all important bye and home ice? We have some tough road trips ahead as the north country is starting to look rather imposing and we have never had a great amount of success there over the years and i would not count on the C/C trip as going nearly as well as their visit to Troy did. How many points would likely guarantee a top 4? Do we need to amass 12 more points in 9 games?
            Just going back 5 seasons ('13-'14 thru '09-'10), the fourth place ECAC teams have finished with 26, 24, 23, 24 & 26 points respectively. The fifth place teams had 24, 22, 23, 24 & 23. So it would seem that 25 points would be required to get a bye with some degree of certainty. 24 points looks to be right on the cusp (about 50%) whereas 26 points earns the bye almost every time. So to answer your question, 5-3-1 would likely do it and 6-3-0 (your guess of 12 points!) would be in the 95%+ range. But based upon recent playoff series I'm not so sure home ice does us any good.
            "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
              But based upon recent playoff series I'm not so sure home ice does us any good.
              Certainly has been true. We can win with more or less a full team and a 60 minute game, but it we just don't do that often enough. And then there are the refs.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
                Just going back 5 seasons ('13-'14 thru '09-'10), the fourth place ECAC teams have finished with 26, 24, 23, 24 & 26 points respectively. The fifth place teams had 24, 22, 23, 24 & 23. So it would seem that 25 points would be required to get a bye with some degree of certainty. 24 points looks to be right on the cusp (about 50%) whereas 26 points earns the bye almost every time. So to answer your question, 5-3-1 would likely do it and 6-3-0 (your guess of 12 points!) would be in the 95%+ range. But based upon recent playoff series I'm not so sure home ice does us any good.
                Thanks for the research. Home ice at any time 'should' be a big advantage for this team even though it hasn't seemed that way. Match ups are just so important and getting the last change crucial for that purpose. Some coaches take advantage of that more than others. The other less obvious advantage for us, if we know how to use it, is having the penalty box and our bench on the same side of the rink while the opponents are across from the box. Coach Addesa used both well, Buddy Powers(who we do not talk much about) did it fairly well also. From what i was told, coach Harkness used every advantage possible(even some he created himself). In 50+ years of following RPI hockey though, I have never seen us get much of a home town advantage from the officials.
                The biggest advantage however, would of course be getting a bye out of the first round. With this league and the closeness of the competition, the less games you have to play, the less chance to be eliminated. No one is safe. Just getting to the final ECAC four probably gives everyone about the same chance of winning it all. (See 1995 when we went to LP as the #6 seed)

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Certainly has been true. We can win with more or less a full team and a 60 minute game, but it we just don't do that often enough. And then there are the refs.
                  You have that totally right. I have said it all season. When this team is at full strength they can be a good team. But if they play as a full team for an entire game, they have shown that they can be a very good team and can give anyone big time trouble. of course, that assumes that they qactually win a few of the faceoffs and the refs do not call them for 2 or 3 times as many penalties as the opponent.

Comment

Thanks for the research. Home ice at any time 'should' be a big advantage for this team even though it hasn't seemed that way. Match ups are just so important and getting the last change crucial for that purpose. Some coaches take advantage of that more than others. The other less obvious advantage for us, if we know how to use it, is having the penalty box and our bench on the same side of the rink while the opponents are across from the box. Coach Addesa used both well, Buddy Powers(who we do not talk much about) did it fairly well also. From what i was told, coach Harkness used every advantage possible(even some he created himself). In 50+ years of following RPI hockey though, I have never seen us get much of a home town advantage from the officials.
                    The biggest advantage however, would of course be getting a bye out of the first round. With this league and the closeness of the competition, the less games you have to play, the less chance to be eliminated. No one is safe. Just getting to the final ECAC four probably gives everyone about the same chance of winning it all. (See 1995 when we went to LP as the #6 seed)
                    Still have to actually win one or two playoff series, depending on where we end up. This may sound weird, but I'd almost wish for CCT in the playoffs, as they have an odd way of ending teams' terrible streaks. And as much as we do complain about the stripes, we still have to make the most of our chances. No official can bail you out on that.

Comment

DrD,
                      Do you know why the penalty box used to be on the north side of the Field House, next to the visitors bench, while we were at RPI? It doesn't seem like Harkness would have gone for that.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        DrD,
                        Do you know why the penalty box used to be on the north side of the Field House, next to the visitors bench, while we were at RPI? It doesn't seem like Harkness would have gone for that.
                        They still are at the north end; the benches must have been switched. Surprisingly enough, Colgate does the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          They still are at the north end; the benches must have been switched. Surprisingly enough, Colgate does the same thing.
                          I meant south.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The penalty box used to be on the Troy side (I guess that's really the south side), next to the visitors' bench. Either Harkness never thought about the fact that this was giving an advantage to the other team or the Tute told him there wasn't enough money in the budget to move the penalty box across the rink. That situation remained true at least through Bjorkman's, Kearns', and Abbott's tenure. I'm not sure whether it was Salfi or Addesa who finally managed to get it changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                              The penalty box used to be on the Troy side (I guess that's really the south side), next to the visitors' bench. Either Harkness never thought about the fact that this was giving an advantage to the other team or the Tute told him there wasn't enough money in the budget to move the penalty box across the rink. That situation remained true at least through Bjorkman's, Kearns', and Abbott's tenure. I'm not sure whether it was Salfi or Addesa who finally managed to get it changed.
                              I suspect that Harkness never thought about it. Although it might have cost money to move the penalty box, he could have used the south side (got it right this time) for RPI's bench. I doubt having the bench nearer the locker room is an advantage. However, perhaps having it on the student side is an advantage.

The penalty box was still on the south side when I left RPI after the 73-74 season which was in Salfi's tenure. I suspect that it was moved the same time that most of the poles were removed.
                              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-26-2015, 08:06 AM.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                              X