RPI Hockey 2014-2015 Part II: Dedicated to Rich Curadi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2014-2015 Part II: Dedicated to Rich Curadi

In the last few games, I have only seen two players that are playing with enthusiasm and trying to make something happen.
    They are Prapavessis and Gillesie.
    I know that a lot of people don't like the way Prapavessis goes skating around the offensive zone, but watch the rest of the team stand still and watch him. If they would move and give him some support, you would see a lot more scoring opportunities.
    Gillespie reminds me of CJ Lee. He is always in motion and giving the opponents fits. I don't know why he has not played in more games.
    As for solutions, I think an attitude adjustment is in order.
    As Doc said, these guys need to have some fun out there. They just seem to be going through the motions.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      Dude that is exactly my point. These boys are having no fun at all. From my viewpoint it is like they are playing too cautiously, trying not to make a mistake, taking steps backward instead of pushing the puck up ice, delaying before they try to pass or skate up ice, delaying with the puck in their defensive end, not making a big hit for fear of a penalty, not forechecking for fear of being caught up ice. Playing in fear that if they do make that bad play, they will suffer consequences for it(less ice time, being sat out, in the doghouse, having the blame put on them, etc). We have decent size-we do not use it and actually play like a small team. We have speed-we do not use it, bringing the puck up deliberately instead of rushing up ice. We play dump and chase-but then take a line change and do not chase with even a single forward heading into the zone. And our defense just seems to take a passing wave at an incoming rushing forward instead of taking the body and forcing him to the outside.
      Goaltending is of course crucial, and it has not been good lately. But it becomes far easier when our team can keep the puck in the offensive zone with pressure or when our forwards can forecheck a team into having difficulty bringing the puck into our zone. It becomes even easier when our big defensemen keep the lanes clear for the goalie to see what is coming at him and then move in to clear any rebounds to the sides and corners. All of this is basic and pretty obvious. Yet we are doing very little of it. And of course, everything starts with faceoffs, whether it be defending when short handed or keeping pressure on and creating chances when on the power play and at the end of games when we pull the goalie and have an extra attacker.
      I absolutely believe we have recruited the talent and I absolutely believe in these boys. The talent is just being used in a way that takes advantage of what we have.
      Post of the year.

When played with speed and aggression, this is the most fun and greatest game in the world. We recruited speed and in the breakout have forwards stand at the far blue line waiting for a breakout pass from the D that they can make because its too far and because its really easy to cover the forward or the passing lane when they are not moving. I see the boys working hard on offense in the forward zone, but we dont have 3 on 2 breakouts up the ice. We just do not transition from defense to offense fast or hard enought to pressure the opponent into mistakes or odd man situations. ALL of that certainly happens to us. We keep trying to win 2-1 games. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. You and I and Wicked have been saying for YEARS that what we really need is 1 more goal a game (and that was when we were scoring 2-3). Now we are lucky if we get 1. Look at our record when we score 3 or more. Its pretty good. The name of the game is to put the puck in the net more than the other guy. Jesus, thats a pretty simple concept. We just dont control the puck and as a result turn over. You cant score without possession.

Anyone else watch the ESPN program n the old Russian national team ? Constant motion. Constant puck possession. Video of Anatoly Tarasov saying that "speed kills". Well, in our breakout we stand still and the D got beat I cant tell how many times over the weekend (worst was Friday) and seemed like everyone standing still. Others get 3-4 on 1-2 against us and jump up into the play, and we never get odd man rushes. I'm rambling at this point, but with you Doc - at this point, I dont give a rats *** what the score is. Unleash the boys and let them play they way they know how. Lets use the speed and scoring we recruited and go out and have an exciting game....chips fall where they may.

SA has lost this team. As Ive said to others, do you really think that the boys are enjoying this or want to get beat the way we are ? Absolutely not. I just cant believe that. So, thats the system being played. If I was one of the boys, I'd be disgusted too.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        In the last few games, I have only seen two players that are playing with enthusiasm and trying to make something happen.
        I know that a lot of people don't like the way Prapavessis goes skating around the offensive zone, but watch the rest of the team stand still and watch him. If they would move and give him some support, you would see a lot more scoring opportunities.
        Gillespie reminds me of CJ Lee. He is always in motion and giving the opponents fits. I don't know why he has not played in more games.
        As Doc said, these guys need to have some fun out there. They just seem to be going through the motions.
        Im not sure that is entirely fair. I think we have had some fairly decent work effort when we are in the offensive zone by many, but they are constrained by the system. We pin against the boards and try to control there rather than trying to get free and everyone in motion. Take the Yale game - when Yale was in the offensive zone, they were constantly in possession of the puck and winning every race to every lose puck. Every one. Its all about speed and movement and seemingly not the system that we are trying to implement.

As for going thru the motions - I can only imagine what these kids are going thru and how sick they feel because handcuffed by system. They certainly arent having any fun whatsoever. Anyone else notice the warm ups before the Yale game ? Yale was practicing quick and hard and with intensity. We were slow and seemingly floating around, going thru the motions.

All this being said, Yale had 2 really impressive power play goals. Take those away, its a 2-1 game. We have GOT to stay out of the box. Both the interference calls were legit, so just careless, selfish hockey and not even putting ourselves in a position to win. After that, the breakout needs to completely change and we need to control the puck and get everything on net. We scored 1. That will just not win games.

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
          To blame assitant coaches for Seth's inability to win is ridiculous.
          There is a difference between "blaming" assistant coaches, and merely noticing that in those areas of the game where assistant coaches' work makes the difference, the results are lacking. After all, who assembles and hires the assistant coaching staff?

One thing that's been discussed more than once is the difference between passing to a teammate, and passing to that spot on the ice where the teammate is supposed to arrive at the same time that the pass gets there. The good teams I watch do the latter.
          Last edited by FreshFish; 02-16-2015, 11:43 AM.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            There is a difference between "blaming" assistant coaches, and merely noticing that in those areas of the game where assistant coaches' work makes the difference, the results are lacking. After all, who assembles and hires the assistant coaching staff?
            I agree. The buck stops with the Head Coach, but the assistants also have duties which they are responsible for.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I agree with the two you mentioned but would add the MNM line when they are together out there. It seems to me, and often to our WRPI radio play by play guys, that they are the ones that play with energy and keep the puck in the offensive zone.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Dude that is exactly my point. These boys are having no fun at all. From my viewpoint it is like they are playing too cautiously, trying not to make a mistake, taking steps backward instead of pushing the puck up ice, delaying before they try to pass or skate up ice, delaying with the puck in their defensive end, not making a big hit for fear of a penalty, not forechecking for fear of being caught up ice. Playing in fear that if they do make that bad play, they will suffer consequences for it(less ice time, being sat out, in the doghouse, having the blame put on them, etc). We have decent size-we do not use it and actually play like a small team. We have speed-we do not use it, bringing the puck up deliberately instead of rushing up ice. We play dump and chase-but then take a line change and do not chase with even a single forward heading into the zone. And our defense just seems to take a passing wave at an incoming rushing forward instead of taking the body and forcing him to the outside.
                Goaltending is of course crucial, and it has not been good lately. But it becomes far easier when our team can keep the puck in the offensive zone with pressure or when our forwards can forecheck a team into having difficulty bringing the puck into our zone. It becomes even easier when our big defensemen keep the lanes clear for the goalie to see what is coming at him and then move in to clear any rebounds to the sides and corners. All of this is basic and pretty obvious. Yet we are doing very little of it. And of course, everything starts with faceoffs, whether it be defending when short handed or keeping pressure on and creating chances when on the power play and at the end of games when we pull the goalie and have an extra attacker.
                I absolutely believe we have recruited the talent and I absolutely believe in these boys. The talent is just being used in a way that takes advantage of what we have.
                Several people have made all kinds of suggestions about how to get out of this terrible rut the team has fallen into the past couple of seasons. And yes, many of these same issues seem to come up every season. A couple of observations:
                1. We all are fans of the program and so very frustrated by this team's inability to maintain any kind of positive momentum for more than a game or two. We all have theories and thoughts and suggestions, but much of it is wrong. Yes, the blueliners do seem extremely tentative the past few weeks and the lack of offense has been a problem all year, but some of the thoughts just don't make sense. When our guys dump the puck, they always have at least one guy chase, more if it is early in the shift. They don't hit as often as many observers would like, but it also seems that almost every time they do deliver a solid check, they get called for a borderline or phantom interference or roughing call, as was the case on at least 2 plays Saturday night. Some of that has to be reputation. In the ECAC RPI has always seemed to have a rep akin to the old Oakland Raiders, edeserved or not.
                2. Maybe this team, and program, just is not as talented as many people on this forum would like to believe. There are some talented players that have come through Troy the past 8 seasons, but some of the best have been snatched away before they get to be seniors and we just don't have the depth of talent that Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Union, Q'Pac and other top programs around the country can attract. Some of the others have come in highly touted, only to have average or worse college careers. Some of that blame has to fall on the coaches who recruited them, but maybe our expectations, fueled in part by the coach and AD who say that the goal is to compete for a national title, are just not realistic given the situation. I hope not. Most of us don't know enough about the support the program receives from the president and her staff. Do they get any breaks with admissions, financial aid, budgeting, etc.? This year's team has 14 forwards. When they had 4-5 out with injuries, it affected them in games, but also in practices. Guys had to do more reps. in practice and play more minutes in games and that wears people down. We need more bodies and more talented bodies. Most of the talent up front is in the freshman and sophomore classes. For the most part the seniors and juniors underproduced and that can be said for the seniors on defense as well. Throw in a sub-par year for the goalies and you have the makings of a 25 loss season.

Things are certainly very bad right not, but not hopeless. They did play very well the last 40-45 minutes against Yale and guys are finally healthy. Maybe they can still make that run to the playoffs we are hall hoping for. If not, they do have some talent coming back next season. Let's hope the guys coming in can produce as well. The new AD also has a lot of experience building success. Let's hope he gets the opportunity, and the autonomy, to do it here. LGR!

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  Wait a second. You were the one that thought the assistant coaches were part time. How can you say that they are lacking in results, when you don't even know what responsibilities they have been assigned? The head coach assigns those responsibilities. Depending on the head coach, the job description will vary. Please explain the lack of results of the assistants you are referring to.
                  I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

You really need to add Travis Fulton to this list. Although he hasn't played the past few games due to injury, he's doing practically everything he can to make something happen; I still go back to the game where we were shut out by Bentley, where he and Curadi seemed to both be the only ones doing that. Perhaps this is why there may be a misnomer of sorts with the name on front vs. name on back, but when you're essentially attacking 1v5, there's not much you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      I agree. The buck stops with the Head Coach, but the assistants also have duties which they are responsible for.
                      Compared to professional teams, they have even further duties, as they also take on the role of scout in recruiting the next year's players.

One thing that is the case, though: There are 58 (soon to be 59) other teams with the same challenge.
                      Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 02-16-2015, 01:31 PM.

Comment

It is actually painful to watch but I think I could tolerate it if it was just this year. This has been the same story most of the past 9 years. We start out with some promise and slowly watch as we deteriorate over the season and then as proof, totally collapse in the playoffs whether we are on the road or at home. Over these years this has not happened with the same group of boys, it has happened with virtually every group of boys. What is wrong with this picture??
                        Can't agree more Doc - We're now in year 9 of this lackluster performance, year in and out. This team is the only ECAC team to not participate in a league frozen four in that time frame, never mind win the whole ****ed thing. Did a lot of reminiscing with John Carter's weekend, and realizing how far this program has regressed.

There have been enough excuses, rationale, bad luck factored in over the last 9 years. The program leadership is the only constant. I have never seen such a group of players as unprepared, mentally and physically, as this one. I don't mean they are out of shape, or are the wrong athletes - they have proven they can play at this level and beat good teams. However, the incredible inconsistency, from period-to-period, and game-to-game is astonishing to me. Take the Yale game as a prime example - they come out and score immediately...only to go totally flat and give up 2 easy goals to Yale. How can that happen so easily? The collective hockey sense, of a 5 man unit put on the ice is also dismal - puck control, possession, and executing plays just doesn't happen - they play hot potato hockey for the most part, and show little confidence in each other, or themselves.

Just very frustrated, and tired of the same poor result. Been around since the late 70's and do not recall such a dismal period, or outlook for the program.
                        Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                          Just very frustrated, and tired of the same poor result. Been around since the late 70's and do not recall such a dismal period, or outlook for the program.
                          To quote/paraphrase from a couple of Pink Floyd songs... And then one day you find, 10 years have gotten behind you... You've got to be crazy!

9 down (almost), 1 more to go to get to 10. If 2015-2016 is more of the same... having SA stay and go to 11 will be akin to Spinal Tap's amps doing the same. Confounding!

Comment

It's nice to see you children all getting along for a change.

I saw that some of you were asking about returning alumni. I don't have a list of everyone who was introduced during the second intermission of Saturday's game, but here are the names of those who skated in the Alumni Game. There were quite a few more announced during the game including, of course, John Carter.

Blue Team
                            Dave Aiello '89
                            Bob DeBrase '83
                            Oren Eizenman '07
                            Frank Ferrara '84
                            Pete Gardiner '00
                            Eric Healey '98
                            Loris Muzzatti '80
                            Doug Rosza '99
                            Doug Shepherd '00
                            Alain St. Hilaire '99

Red Team
                            Kelly Askew '95
                            Adam Bartell '95
                            Kobie Boykins '95
                            Jeff Brick '95
                            Wayne Clark '95
                            Jeff Gabriel '94
                            Craig Hamelin '95
                            Chris Kiley '96
                            Ken Kwasniewski '95
                            Brad Layzell '94
                            Neil Little '94
                            Xavier Majic '94
                            Jeff O'Connor '96
                            Bryan Richardson '96

White Team
                            Alex Angers-Goulet '12
                            Mathieu Angers-Goulet '09
                            Reed Kipp '09
                            Seth Klerer '09
                            Paul Krosney '68
                            CJ Lee '13
                            Bobby Mattice '76
                            Ryan Swanson '07
                            Matt Tinordi '14
                            Pat Valiquette '76

Black Team
                            Jak Bestle '84
                            Kevin Broad '07
                            Terry Butryn '87
                            Eric Cavosie '02
                            Marc Cavosie '03
                            Kevin Croxton '06
                            Mike Dark '86
                            Nolan Graham '03
                            Jeff Whiteside '85
                            Dan Peace '08
                            Ken Hammond '85
                            Charlene

Comment

Thanks, Charlene.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Compared to professional teams, they have even further duties, as they also take on the role of scout in recruiting the next year's players.

One thing that is the case, though: There are 58 (soon to be 59) other teams with the same challenge.
                                Flag, you hit the nail on the head. I hope RPI can get a coach and assistants that are on the same page with the AD and the administration as well. It seems to me all must be aligned in order for a team to really succeed. Did Union win it all with conflict from the admin down? I am guessing not. Change is a good thing at all levels, I hope RPI can figure out what piece is missing and move on towards a national championship.

Comment

Working...
                                X