NCAA Convention doins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Convention doins

There have been numerous references (thanks! Norm) to proposed reductions in playing seasons. Here are the D-III legislative proposals in handy spreadsheet
    http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...al%20Chart.pdf

Then if you want to look at 2015-6 or 2015-6-1, go here: https://web1.ncaa.org/LSDBi/exec/d3P...rch?division=3

Note: Not one mention of the NESCAC.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: NCAA Convention doins

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    There have been numerous references (thanks! Norm) to proposed reductions in playing seasons. Here are the D-III legislative proposals in handy spreadsheet
    http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...al%20Chart.pdf

Then if you want to look at 2015-6 or 2015-6-1, go here: https://web1.ncaa.org/LSDBi/exec/d3P...rch?division=3

Note: Not one mention of the NESCAC.
    ...and half the SUNYAC is co-sponsoring. Shows what I know
    Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
    A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
    A Handful of ECAC West Championships
    A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
    Some National Championships:
    Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
    Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Originally posted by Dyce View Post
      Perhaps they think 24 is better than an alternative.
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
        Perhaps they think 24 is better than an alternative.
        Is 24 comprised of reg season and post season play?

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
          Is 24 comprised of reg season and post season play?
          Regular season

a maximum of
          24 contest dates and one exempted
          scrimmage.
          Larry Normandin
          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dyce View Post
            It looks like there is a proposal to decrease by 10% and another (the one co-sponsored by half of SUNY) reduces the schedule by just one game. Am I reading that right?
            Steve
            Penn State Class of '95
            Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
              It looks like there is a proposal to decrease by 10% and another (the one co-sponsored by half of SUNY) reduces the schedule by just one game. Am I reading that right?
              Basketball is going from 25 to 24. Under the original proposal, hockey is going from 25 to 23.

2015-6-1 wants hockey to be treated like basketball.

If it goes to 24 Norwich's schedule had no wiggle room. If it goes to 23, something's gotta give.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

At 23 the NCHA will have three non-con games next year, with Aurora joining to make an 11-team league.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

My guess is this proposal gets tabled for at least another year for further study across the board.

Comment

Who knows what the NCAA will ever do about anything. This is the organization that just held the biggest game in their history with one team getting to practice more than the other. Let's remember - they are literally the monkey $%%$$ the football!
                    Steve
                    Penn State Class of '95
                    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by SNC SID View Post
                      My guess is this proposal gets tabled for at least another year for further study across the board.
                      Dan - have you heard anything about the reduction in the size of the championship fields?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Dan - have you heard anything about the reduction in the size of the championship fields?
                        That was something that was discussed but it will not be voted on at this Convention which would make it at least until 2017 until we would have to worry about it.

I think that is one of the more drastic measures that is being discussed and hopefully, for hockey's sake, it gets shot down.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

The Old Dominion Conference, et al., proposed switching the number from 25 to 23, while basketball only dropped 1. The rationale for the amended proposal makes it clear that the point is for the two sports to be treated equally.

However, I find it insteresting that the likes of Norwich, Plattsburgh, Oswego, Elmira, and St. Norbert (the only western sponsor) are sponsoring this, when they stand to lose even with a reduction to 24. My guess (although Dan and Derek's statements seem to indicate the likelihood of it being shelved for next year) is that they've seen the writing on the wall, and simply want to lessen the impact.

I love that a handful of "top teams" are sponsoring this right along with the bottom-tier teams that arr most likely to be dropped from the schedules of good quality teams in the event of a reduction to 23.
                          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                            The Old Dominion Conference, et al., proposed switching the number from 25 to 23, while basketball only dropped 1. The rationale for the amended proposal makes it clear that the point is for the two sports to be treated equally.

However, I find it insteresting that the likes of Norwich, Plattsburgh, Oswego, Elmira, and St. Norbert (the only western sponsor) are sponsoring this, when they stand to lose even with a reduction to 24. My guess (although Dan and Derek's statements seem to indicate the likelihood of it being shelved for next year) is that they've seen the writing on the wall, and simply want to lessen the impact.

I love that a handful of "top teams" are sponsoring this right along with the bottom-tier teams that arr most likely to be dropped from the schedules of good quality teams in the event of a reduction to 23.
                            I wonder if the number of games does lower, do the conferences begin to discuss the possibility of fewer conference games. Right now a 10-team league has 18 conference games. If a 10-team league broke into two divisions and played their division twice and the other division once, that would lower the conference games to 13. Is that too few?

For some teams, it could reduce in-conference travel.

Hypothetical situation:

SUNYAC West
                            Buff State
                            Fredonia
                            Brockport
                            Geneseo
                            Cortland

SUNYAC East
                            Plattsburgh
                            Potsdam
                            Canton
                            Morrisville
                            Oswego

A SUNYAC East team would play the other SUNYAC East teams twice and SUNYAC West teams once (alternating home/away each year). Plattsburgh/Potsdam would only travel to Western NY every other year and vice versa for Buff State/Fredonia.

To add a little fun to the mix, how about a SUNYAC Showcase at the beginning of each year where all 10 teams gather at one location (could rotate each campus each year) for one weekend and play two non-conference games against two opponents from the 'other' division. Five games on Saturday and five games on Sunday. How exciting would that be for a fan to be able to watch the entire conference play in one day!?!?

Obviously just a pipe dream, but fun to think about!
                            Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                            2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                              I wonder if the number of games does lower, do the conferences begin to discuss the possibility of fewer conference games. Right now a 10-team league has 18 conference games. If a 10-team league broke into two divisions and played their division twice and the other division once, that would lower the conference games to 13. Is that too few?
                              The SUNYAC did this in basketball for a year in the last decade.

First, when SUNYIT joined the league, they had one division of 11 teams but played an uneven schedule resulting in 16 conference games.

When Morrisville joined, they had 12 teams in the league (2007-8), which would have meant 22 conference games with an even schedule, leaving them only three non-conference games. But, splitting the league into divisions with a schedule just like you proposed, allowed each team in each division to play the exact same schedule. This continued to give them 16 conference games and nine non-conference games.

When SUNYIT dropped out the following year, they went back to one division of 11 teams but still played an uneven schedule maintaining 16 conference games. I always hate when they do that and try to maintain one division.

When Morrisville dropped out (except for ice hockey and field hockey), they went back to an even schedule of 18 conference games and thus seven non-conference games.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                              X