Chicken and Waffles and Biscuits, Oh My! NMU at UAH January 16,17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken and Waffles and Biscuits, Oh My! NMU at UAH January 16,17

'Cats are coming off a momentum building home and home series and are looking to add some more league points before their upcoming non-conference match-ups. Prior to the tough weekend against the ranked Huskies (still weird to type out), the 'Cats were searching for wins, going a "not completely terrible now that we can look back upon it" 0-3-3 in the prior six games, which included two other ranked teams in the nation.

Meanwhile, Huntsville comes off a tough weekend against their arch-rivals Bemidji State, where they got blanked twice in identical scores. Prior to that, UAH did achieve their first home weekend league game sweep since January 30th, 2010.

This marks the first match-up this season for these two teams for league points, thanks to a quirk in the scheduling agreements between the two schools. In their non-conference match-up earlier this year, the 'Cats edged the weekend with a tie and a win.

Thoughts? Comments? Maximum flight weight loading amount so the guys can pack golf clubs to take with them?
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Re: Chicken and Waffles and Biscuits, Oh My! NMU at UAH January 16,17

Bumping this thread with a nice little tidbit of information: The 'Cats are playing much more disciplined this season, only averaging 11.7 PIM/Game. Going back through Collegehockeystats.net to the 2001-02 season, this year's 'Cat team hasn't been this well behaved since the 2008-09 season (13.9 PIM/G). Average PIM/G from prior 13 seasons? 16.9 PIM/G

I'm sure I just jinxed it but this is good, considering the 'Cats are facing the HOTTEST combined special teams school in the nation right now. Per the current national stats, UAH leads the nation in combined special teams (PPG+PKSuccessful / PPChances+PKChances) at 59.8%. NMU is ranked fourth in the nation in combined special teams at 57.3%.
    Last edited by aparch; 01-13-2015, 01:01 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I'm still trying to understand the combined special teams thing, and how UAH can be 29th in both power play efficiency and penalty kill and it come up as first combined. Anyway, we have had, by far, the most shorthanded situations. We're starting to tone back on the penalties (I believe it was around 18 PIM/game and now it's down to 15.6, still third most in the country), but it hasn't helped our slightly-better-but-still-needs-work offense, which will still need bounces against a goaltender like Dahlstrom.

UAH was outshot a combined 76-42 in the two games in Marquette. Gotta narrow that gap somewhat this time. And we need Carmine Guerriero to have a big bounceback game. Holy cow, that's a lot of gottas. :P
      Michael Napier - UAH '97
      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

UAHStatman,
        We sit next to the visitors bench at NMU games. I have to say your team and especially your coach were great! They gave my kids hi-fives before the game and every other time they came on or off the ice. After the series we asked the coach if he had team puck and he personally came back with a puck and a brand new Baseball Cap! We see a lot of teams come and go, but we will always remember your trip up here!
        2004 Alumni. Season Ticket holder since 2004. Go Cats!

Comment

Going to go out and put some expectations on this weekend... 1st time in doing so this season, but I think that 4 points needs to happen here... It's not going to be easy, but hopefully the team has done their homework since October... UAH is greatly improved and should make the cut into the playoffs, but I don't think they are on the same level as the Cats... Can't let a goaltender steal either of these games....
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by mattheinzel View Post
            UAHStatman,
            We sit next to the visitors bench at NMU games. I have to say your team and especially your coach were great! They gave my kids hi-fives before the game and every other time they came on or off the ice. After the series we asked the coach if he had team puck and he personally came back with a puck and a brand new Baseball Cap! We see a lot of teams come and go, but we will always remember your trip up here!
            The UAH Coach is a good guy and strong Marquette ties, having played for the Electricians, marrying a Marquette girl and his son being born there.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
              I'm still trying to understand the combined special teams thing, and how UAH can be 29th in both power play efficiency and penalty kill and it come up as first combined. Anyway, we have had, by far, the most shorthanded situations. We're starting to tone back on the penalties (I believe it was around 18 PIM/game and now it's down to 15.6, still third most in the country), but it hasn't helped our slightly-better-but-still-needs-work offense, which will still need bounces against a goaltender like Dahlstrom.
              It's mainly a function of having a lot of chances and killing a lot of penalties. I haven't spent a lot of time looking at it (I've been too lazy), but I'm betting that the good teams in one phase of the game just aren't in the other, and that's how it balances out. It's a weird stat to be sure, but it's nice to be #1 in something, especially as we were bottom-10 last year.

We've gotta stay 5x5 longer to get Jack Prince shifts. Prince gets good looks at pucks, but he's so slow that you can't use him on the PK, and our coaches tend to want faster puck movement. He might be a choice to just park in front of the goalie there, but you'd probably be better off having Jeff Vanderlugt in there since his skating is better.

If Prince-McHugh-Brears are clicking, they might be good for a goal or two each game. #BulldogLine probably won't score at even strength (hey there, Craig Pierce, don't you look nice), but that's not their role. Also, is Doug Reid banged up? His missing the Saturday Bemidji game worries me. That guy bleeds blue, man.

We've gotta get something outta Saulnier's line. Hell, at this point I'd try Kestner-Saulnier-Salhany and go for it, even though they'd be a disaster defensively. Just be ready to pull them quickly if they can't maintain possession. The puck has to go in somewhere. And if they start to get blitzed, swap Marooney and Kestner and go on with life.

We're at the point where we sorta have 2-1/2 lines, one for each end of the ice and the half trying to figure out, well, what's going on. The fourth line is a revolving door. Soquila hasn't put it together, and it doesn't look like Vandy is going to get back to his early-season highs thanks to whatever injury he had. But dang if 2-1/2 lines ain't a lot better than whatever you want to say about last season.

The defense is good, but man, Parker is a team-low -14. Ah, the joys of playing three freshmen blueliners (though Buri is even and Champagne just -4).

Dangit, I love this team so much.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by mattheinzel View Post
                UAHStatman,
                Thanks for sharing! Hearing things like this makes me proud of this team as much as any win.
                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Hearing things like this makes me proud of this team as much as any win.
                  Same goes with Millsy talking about how Piercey and Parks tossed his kids pucks.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

per NMU Facebook:

Wildcat Faithful in Alabama here is your chance to see NMU in live action this weekend and celebrate with other Wildcat fans!

NMU Alumni are invited to join together to watch Wildcat hockey take on Alabama-Huntsville.
                    Saturday, January 17, 2015

Meet:
                    Pre-game gathering at “The Pub”
                    Von Braun Arena
                    700 Monroe Street
                    Huntsville, Alabama 35801

Stay:
                    Embassy Suites
                    800 Monroe St SW
                    Huntsville, AL 35801

Watch:
                    Puck drops at 7 p.m. Central at Von Braun Arena
                    For game tickets visit www.ticketmaster.com, choose sections 221,
                    or call (800) 745-3000 and indicate “Northern Michigan Wildcats Men’s Hockey.”

Questions:
                    Barb Cormier ‘94
                    realest8gal@gmail.com
                    Tickets for Concerts, Sports, Arts, Theater, Family, Events, more. Official Ticketmaster site
                    Find and buy tickets: concerts, sports, arts, theater, broadway shows, family events at Ticketmaster.com
                    ticketmaster.com

Comment

Hopefully I'll find out in the next 24 hours whether or not I'm broadcasting (I'm honestly 50-50 on whether I even want to do it); if I'm not, I typically sit in 224 to the left of the road team's section. I'm a big bearded guy with glasses and an Operation Hat Trick UAH hat.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        Hopefully I'll find out in the next 24 hours whether or not I'm broadcasting (I'm honestly 50-50 on whether I even want to do it); if I'm not, I typically sit in 224 to the left of the road team's section. I'm a big bearded guy with glasses and an Operation Hat Trick UAH hat.

GFM
                        You got a new hat?!!??!
                        Michael Napier - UAH '97
                        uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

You got a new hat?!!??!
                          Danielle made me get a new one. I did it only to keep her from destroying my old ones.

Hey, for any of you that are here, would you be interested in lunch on Saturday?

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

That is the hat the coach gave my son :-)
                            2004 Alumni. Season Ticket holder since 2004. Go Cats!

Comment

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                              X