PDA

View Full Version : Colgate & Cornell @ RPI & Union (1/16, 1/17)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Waite21
01-14-2015, 08:19 AM
Ralph and lugnut, thanks for the info.

A little while ago, we had some posts on the RPI regular season thread about the fact that an old RPI jersey was on sale. The jersey was last worn by Dave Littlefield during the 1965-66 season.

The 1965-66 team was, as they say nowadays, offensively challenged (as well as defensively challenged and generally challenged in about every way possible). Littlefield was the fourth-leading scorer on the team and he only had 12 points for the whole season.

Of course, back then, the whole season consisted of only 22 games. This year's team, whose leading scorers have only 11 points, has already played 24.

Ralph Baer
01-14-2015, 09:38 AM
RPI game notes http://www.rpiathletics.com/documents/2015/1/14/2014_15_Hockey_GameNotes_COL_COR.pdf The notes state the RPI-TV will be streaming the Cornell game even though it is on TV.

FlagDUDE08
01-14-2015, 10:24 AM
RPI game notes http://www.rpiathletics.com/documents/2015/1/14/2014_15_Hockey_GameNotes_COL_COR.pdf The notes state the RPI-TV will be streaming the Cornell game even though it is on TV.

I noticed the Youtube live stream for the game is also available. Perhaps what they will be doing, similar to Freakout in the past couple of years, is providing the production truck to send the feed to TWC, while using RPI-TV's video feed and announcers, thereby saving money on crew cost.

Jasma
01-14-2015, 11:54 AM
I would take that outcome, though we need wins against teams in the bottom half of the standings. We don't seem to have the offense to win many against the top half of the standings.

DrDemento
01-14-2015, 12:11 PM
RPI-Cornell could be the 0-0 tie RPI fans were talking about last week. RPI has played four 0-0 games, the last on 1/29/1927 at Amherst.
If they could find a way to accomplish it, the officials might make this a -1 to 0 game.:) They might take away a goal that we did not even score.

DrDemento
01-14-2015, 12:16 PM
Ralph and lugnut, thanks for the info.

A little while ago, we had some posts on the RPI regular season thread about the fact that an old RPI jersey was on sale. The jersey was last worn by Dave Littlefield during the 1965-66 season.

The 1965-66 team was, as they say nowadays, offensively challenged (as well as defensively challenged and generally challenged in about every way possible). Littlefield was the fourth-leading scorer on the team and he only had 12 points for the whole season.

Of course, back then, the whole season consisted of only 22 games. This year's team, whose leading scorers have only 11 points, has already played 24.

I think Al Jones led the scoring that year as a defenseman with 20 points (perhaps with 10 goals). At this stage it is looking like we will not have a 10 goal scorer and most likely not a 20 point guy although we still have a lot of hockey to play since i am expecting this team to move on in the playoffs and play a total nearing 40 games.

FlagDUDE08
01-14-2015, 12:18 PM
I think Al Jones led the scoring that year as a defenseman with 20 points (perhaps with 10 goals). At this stage it is looking like we will not have a 10 goal scorer and most likely not a 20 point guy although we still have a lot of hockey to play since i am expecting this team to move on in the playoffs and play a total nearing 40 games.

IIRC, we did not have a ten-goal scorer in 07-08 (or was it 08-09?).

lugnut92
01-14-2015, 12:48 PM
IIRC, we did not have a ten-goal scorer in 07-08 (or was it 08-09?).

Didn't have one in 2011-12 either. CJ was closest at 8 goals. We did have two twenty point guys: Higgs (3-20–23) and Bailen (7-15–22).

turk181
01-15-2015, 01:14 PM
SA’s thoughts on last weekend & what’s ahead. Sounds like Fulton & Miller will be out this weekend..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouQV2kvLCk0

Kepler
01-15-2015, 01:22 PM
But there's something about the RPI-Cornell series that gives reason to your third law of the ECAC. Don't be surprised to see a sieve-fest on both ends.

We're putting so few quality shots on net that we might still get shut out in a sieve-fest...

How's RPI's team speed? I've noticed that when we play somebody very, very slow we almost resemble a hockey team. We still can't actually score but we do novel things like pass and bring the puck into the offensive zone.

When we play somebody only very slow, we look like this guy. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLlUgilKqms)

RHamilton
01-15-2015, 02:29 PM
I noticed the Youtube live stream for the game is also available. Perhaps what they will be doing, similar to Freakout in the past couple of years, is providing the production truck to send the feed to TWC, while using RPI-TV's video feed and announcers, thereby saving money on crew cost.

From what I've heard there will be two separate productions. It's going to be tight up in the press box!

Ralph Baer
01-15-2015, 02:53 PM
We're putting so few quality shots on net that we might still get shut out in a sieve-fest...

How's RPI's team speed? I've noticed that when we play somebody very, very slow we almost resemble a hockey team. We still can't actually score but we do novel things like pass and bring the puck into the offensive zone.

When we play somebody only very slow, we look like this guy. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLlUgilKqms)

We have some forwards with good speed (notably Nanne and Melanson) and some that don't.

DrDemento
01-15-2015, 03:23 PM
We have some forwards with good speed (notably Nanne and Melanson) and some that don't.

I would add the word 'very' inserted before good, for those 2. Decent speed in others, but Melanson and Nanne just seem to be a step quicker anytime they are on the ice no matter what line they are up against.

DrDemento
01-15-2015, 03:26 PM

What we have not had, and still do not seem to have, are finishers. We seem to find more ways to shoot wide, high, into blockers, etc. When we deflect shots, they go wide, high and into blockers, etc. We also seem to have trouble playing a full 60 minutes with concentration. We have had games where we played well for 55 minutes-but in those brief 5 minutes looked like someone slipped us some form of a barbiturate and we are just not there for a while.

jericho
01-15-2015, 04:15 PM
but in those brief 5 minutes looked like someone slipped us some form of a barbiturate and we are just not there for a while.

Well, the 2002 Commencement speaker was Bill Cosby. ;)

Waite21
01-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Friday night's games go to RPI and Cornell, who will meet in Troy Saturday night to see if one or the other can have a four-point weekend.

It was mentioned on tonight's Cornell-Union scores thread that Cornell's band was at the game. If they stick around the Capital District for tomorrow night - and I don't know why they wouldn't - it will be kind of weird watching a game from Houston Field House where the other team's band will be present and RPI's will not.

Ralph Baer
01-16-2015, 09:29 PM
It was mentioned on tonight's Cornell-Union scores thread that Cornell's band was at the game. If they stick around the Capital District for tomorrow night - and I don't know why they wouldn't - it will be kind of weird watching a game from Houston Field House where the other team's band will be present and RPI's will not.

That really sucks.

DrDemento
01-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Well, the 2002 Commencement speaker was Bill Cosby. ;)

I see what you did there.:) Nicely done

DrDemento
01-16-2015, 09:41 PM
With 6 league losses already on our record-we need minimum of a tie and of course if possible a win. We have played more games in the league than most and although still listed as around 3rd, as other teams catch up with us over the next two weeks as we only play 1 ECAC league game, we will be falling some in the standings. For tomorrow-same as tonight, score first, score frequently, stay out of the box, and avoid those lapses where we look totally out of sync for a few minutes. Although we still made far too many defensive errors tonight, we overall kept up the intensity and forced pucks out of the zone that would otherwise have been pushed in deeper. The boys should feel a bit more confident after 2 consecutive wins, but there is still a lot of work to do to gain that consistency we will need for the last 10 league games.

lugnut92
01-17-2015, 09:04 AM
Friday night's games go to RPI and Cornell, who will meet in Troy Saturday night to see if one or the other can have a four-point weekend.

This will unfortunately be the case.