All Things Denver, XXX1X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    DU will blow PC out of the water today. The Pioneers looked pretty good for large chunks yesterday, and are head and shoulders above the Friars. I wouldn't be surprised if the game is tight, especially if Gillies shows up, but I think the only way DU loses this one is if there is a massive meltdown in net.

Good luck today, and I hope to see DU in the Frozen Four. Go NCHC!!!
    have a nice bus ride home

Comment

• Re: All Things Denver, XXX1X

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      I assume UND did have a nice bus ride home last night. Thanks.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        DU will blow PC out of the water today. The Pioneers looked pretty good for large chunks yesterday, and are head and shoulders above the Friars. I wouldn't be surprised if the game is tight, especially if Gillies shows up, but I think the only way DU loses this one is if there is a massive meltdown in net.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

How did that go!?!? LOL. GO FRIARS!!! UND might want to watch out when BU blows them back to ND.

Comment

Originally posted by steven22 View Post
            How did that go!?!? LOL. GO FRIARS!!! UND might want to watch out when BU blows them back to ND.
            Did not go so well. I thought DU outplayed PC for the most part, but I wasn't surprised that the game was tight (see my original post). Too bad LaLeggia went bananas...so unlike him. If he doesn't, I think DU would have pulled it out.

Congrats to PC...looking forward to seeing them again. I'm sure the Friars will be clutching their rosaries praying that BU can knock out UND. After the 6-1 massacre earlier in the season, it may be PC's only shot to actually win a national title for once. Good luck against Omaha.
            Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 03-29-2015, 10:38 PM. Reason: 6-1!!!
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
              Thanks! Although, I haven't been on a bus in 20 years.
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Hey guys. Pitty party?
                RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                  Thanks, Ralph. As I recall it, Puppa made about 100 saves on the weekend, many on his lips.
                  I don't think that RPI played Denver while he was at RPI. I don't know if PC played Denver.

Actually Backstrom was Puppa's father's cousin (I.e., first cousin once removed). http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=18356 Maybe Terreri was related to Backstrom also.
                  Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-30-2015, 01:28 AM.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    I don't think that RPI played Denver while he was at RPI. I don't know if PC played Denver.

Actually Backstrom was Puppa's father's cousin (I.e., first cousin once removed). http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=18356 Maybe Terreri was related to Backstrom also.
                    I was working in Houston at the time and college hockey wasn't exactly a high priority for the local media. But I do recall DU losing two games at home to an eastern team with Ralph's nephew in goal. Beyond that, as far as details are concerned, I'm in the dark (as usual).
                    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

uuuggghhh! Post game depression. I was not ready for this season to end. Things were lining up really nicely for us. **** it!!
                      "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                      Tom Serratore

Comment

(eerie music playing in background)
                        2010--RIT freshman,,Chris Tanev,,scored the opening goal in eventual 2-1 win RIT.

Fast forward to 2015
                        Providence senior,,Brandon Tanev,,scored empty net goal 3-1 in eventual 4-1 Providence win.

(more eerie music)

They are brothers
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

It won't happen by game time tonight, but it would have been quite ironic and fitting. Joey LaLeggia is expected to sign with Edmonton at some point this week. The Colorado Avalanche play at home this evening against Edmonton, so I suppose it might have been possible for LaLeggia to play his first NHL game in Denver since the Oilers are out of the playoff picture and might have given LaLeggia a chance to play a handful of games at the NHL level before the end of the season.
                          sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                            It won't happen by game time tonight, but it would have been quite ironic and fitting. Joey LaLeggia is expected to sign with Edmonton at some point this week. The Colorado Avalanche play at home this evening against Edmonton, so I suppose it might have been possible for LaLeggia to play his first NHL game in Denver since the Oilers are out of the playoff picture and might have given LaLeggia a chance to play a handful of games at the NHL level before the end of the season.
                            I doubt they would want to burn a year of his ELC, but maybe?

r

Comment

Pretty good article about the game and Denver's style. I have to disagree with the premise, however, that LaLeggia's hit was a byproduct of Denver's "fast and loose" style of playing. Pushing the defensemen up is part of that style, as is finishing your checks by the glass. But open ice hits are not Denver's style at all. Although I didn't see every game this year, I could count on one hand the number of big open ice hits that I saw from DU this season. The ones that I did see (Moore's against UND and Larazza's against CC) also resulted in major penalties, and also hurt the team with suspensions.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...end_denver.php

Still thinking back to that shot off the post by Janssen. Man, an inch to the right, and Denver probably wins the game. So close, yet so far. That was one of the few quality shots all game that got through unobstructed towards the Providence net. If I remember correctly, DU had another infamous shot off the post in an NCAA regional where Chris Drury later won the game for BU during a 3-on-3.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                                I was working in Houston at the time and college hockey wasn't exactly a high priority for the local media. But I do recall DU losing two games at home to an eastern team with Ralph's nephew in goal. Beyond that, as far as details are concerned, I'm in the dark (as usual).
                                FWIW, Daren Puppa had a brother Derek who played goal for UAH in the 1990s http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=24686, but I doubt that Denver lost twice to them.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X