Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver, XXX1X

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
    Offense, check. Defense, check. Coaching, check. Captain and team unity, check. I'm just a little nervous about goaltending. And speaking of goaltending, how about Providence's Gilles being the nephew of DU's Gilles!!! Small world in this college hockey community!!
    IIRC, Ralph Backstrom had a nephew (Chris Terreri?) who played in goal for PC and beat DU a pair in the old barn.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 03-29-2015, 04:11 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

There's no good way for a season to end. But this sucked big time.

Comment

CC Sucks
        I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Hey Vizaroo, when's the next home game? October 3 vs Windsor??
          I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Yeah, just a shame that the outcome hinged on a rather bad play by LaLeggia. I just don't know what he was thinking. Probably didn't hit anybody hard all weekend, and then hits a guy to the head when he could have easily swept the puck away from him. Kinda of incomprehensible that a great senior player like Joey would do something like that at that juncture of the game. He had a great season but cost his team on that one. But man... we almost killed off the five minutes. Just a slight hesitation by our penalty kill to go out to the goal scorer cost us big time.

Anyway, ok season. I think Monty did a good job with this team and getting past the first round was kind of essential. Would have liked to have seen some kind of adjustment to get pucks to the net better today, but gotta credit providence for clogging it up. Denver was clearly the more skilled team today, but a solid team effort can trump skill as we have seen in the ncaa tournament too often for my liking.
            Last edited by Pablo; 03-29-2015, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pablo View Post
              Yeah, just a shame that the outcome hinged on a rather bad play by LaLeggia. I just don't know what he was thinking. Probably didn't hit anybody hard all weekend, and then hits a guy to the head when he could have easily swept the puck away from him. Kinda of incomprehensible that a great senior player like Joey would do something like that at that juncture of the game. He had a great season but cost his team on that one. But man... we almost killed off the five minutes. Just a slight hesitation by our penalty kill to go out to the goal scorer cost us big time.
              Wonder if it costs him a spot as a Hobey Baker finalist.
              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

What a tough way to end the season. Hard to swallow. But we did take a step forward this year, broke the "one and done" curse of Gwoz's last many years. I like Monty's gritty style, and I think DU is a team that's fun to watch again. Dammit, though, the way this went down was a friggin' nightmare. What's left now? Root for UNO or RIT? The thought of either BU or UND taking a NC is too much for me to stomach. Time for a martini.

Comment

DU exceeded expectations this year. Monty and his staff did an amazing job. Thank you seniors for all of your hard work, dedication and the enjoyment you brought us. All the best moving forward.
                  Go Pioneers!

Comment

• Did Steve Miller recruit LaLeggia?
                    Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

From Joey via Chambers in the Denver Post

LaLeggia, a 2014 All-American who won every major individual National Collegiate Hockey Conference award for a defenseman, and was the NCHC player of the year, is expected to sign with the Edmonton Oilers this week. Oilers general manager Craig MacTavish and president Kevin Lowe were at the game.

"It's terrible but I'm extremely proud to be a Pioneer," LaLeggia said of his final college game. "I can't thank the school for what they've done for me over the last four years, and I can't thank my teammates, my brothers who I love, enough. It's a tough one to swallow but I love Denver.
                      From Monty via Chambers

Montgomery did not agree with LaLeggia's penalty, and will continue to teach his defenseman to make hits in the neutral zone as a counter attack. The NCAA has cracked down on any hits that lead to head contact.

"I guess you're supposed to back off and let a guy come attack you, instead of angling the puck like I've taught them," Montgomery said. "Joey LaLeggia did everything I asked of him on that play and unfortunately there was head contact."
                      Last edited by du78; 03-29-2015, 08:36 PM.
                      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                        Did Steve Miller recruit LaLeggia?
                        Yes
                        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                          IIRC, Ralph Backstrom had a nephew (Chris Terreri?) who played in goal for PC and beat DU a pair in the old barn.
                          Backstrom's nephew was RPI's Daren Puppa, not Terreri.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            Backstrom's nephew was RPI's Daren Puppa, not Terreri.

Thanks, Ralph. As I recall it, Puppa made about 100 saves on the weekend, many on his lips.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                              DU exceeded expectations this year. Monty and his staff did an amazing job. Thank you seniors for all of your hard work, dedication and the enjoyment you brought us. All the best moving forward.
                              Agreed!
                              And I think our returning players will want another chance to show they belong at the Frozen Four.
                              The Mission continues!
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by 32 Degrees! View Post
                                Hey Vizaroo, when's the next home game? October 3 vs Windsor??
                                No countdown yet
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X