PDA

View Full Version : NMU vs. Michigan Tech Jan 9/10: Hopefully this series is as epic as the football game

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

NMU Fan
01-04-2015, 08:15 PM
The Huskies travel to Marquette Friday and the Wildcats travel to Houghton Saturday as NMU takes on Michigan Tech in a home-and-home set. MTU took 3 of 4 games last year and worth noting, this years Miner's Cup contest at the Dome was a great tilt. Rivalry Week. NMU. MTU. Discuss!

John J. MacInnes
01-05-2015, 02:02 PM
NMU's 6 game winless streak is deceptive. In that time, they've taken points from the Mavericks and Falcons (which no other WCHA team has done) and played 4 games without their best player (Dahlström). Special teams look like a wash from a statistical perspective. And just dominating the game isn't enough for the Huskies as proven by 2 of their last 3 games.

My biggest question mark is - how many fans will show up on Friday night at the BEC, and how many of them will be Tech fans?

davyd83
01-05-2015, 02:15 PM
NMU's 6 game winless streak is deceptive. In that time, they've taken points from the Mavericks and Falcons (which no other WCHA team has done) and played 4 games without their best player (Dahlström). Special teams look like a wash from a statistical perspective. And just dominating the game isn't enough for the Huskies as proven by 2 of their last 3 games.

My biggest question mark is - how many fans will show up on Friday night at the BEC, and how many of them will be Tech fans?It's a travesty that these games are being played while schools are on break. The season closing series is played on Spring Break out of necessity. This series should be played on a prime, in school weekend. Crowds will be very good at both rinks. They always are unless Mother Nature throws a blizzard out there. It should be a terrific weekend of college hockey.

aparch
01-05-2015, 02:16 PM
BIG weekend coming up for the 'Cats. Last weekend was a good measuring stick of what the 'Cats need to improve upon, but now the 'Cats cannot give up any more points. Every team plays this weekend, and the 'Cats need to gain some points to remain a first round home team.

I know Alaska, wherever they end the season at, cannot participate in the post season, but I would rather the 'Cats decide their fate than let others.

Huge to see that the games are being carried on WLUC TV6 both Friday night and Saturday night. I think we all presumed Fox UP would be the home for those games, but alas. Saturday night's game could be interesting if the NFL game runs long.

Side note: Attendance seems to be a continued issue. I really wish the more people came out to support their hockey team, a team that could be a contender for the MacNaughton Cup or for the Broadmoor trophy. But no, some residents still spout off how the Donors Room at Lakeview was the bees knees, how the seats at the Berry just don't give their a** splinters the same way the crappy seats at Lakeview did, or that $14 is just too expensive to budget for.

Okay, I'll concede the University does a shi**y job of making affordable ticket packages (Flex Packs, 5 game packs, etc) but when they have made these options available in the past, no one utilized them anyway because of the above mentioned "gripes."

I saw on Facebook a fellow fan mentioned similar over the weekend (of which, I agreed with, but he deleted his FB post), said fan even pointed out that some of NMU's "fans" would much rather see a block letter M or S team than their own. For shame. It's those same "fans" who are likely also pining for the days of Lakeview. It's frustrating as a fan of this program to watch it be continually whittled at by the locals.

Goddammit, they need to pack that place the rest of the season. Get loud. Support the 'Cats.

aparch
01-05-2015, 02:28 PM
I hope the walk-up sales are good; looking at nmu.edu/tickets and it appears to be only 1/2 to 3/4 full, not counting the student sections. And with a portion of those sold preferring to stand on the concourse, it's going to be another half empty looking building.

stuckinwi
01-05-2015, 02:50 PM
I hope the walk-up sales are good; looking at nmu.edu/tickets and it appears to be only 1/2 to 3/4 full, not counting the student sections. And with a portion of those sold preferring to stand on the concourse, it's going to be another half empty looking building.

If your glass wasn't carnival mirror quality maybe people would actually sit behind it... ;)

NMU Fan
01-05-2015, 02:53 PM
It's a travesty that these games are being played while schools are on break. The season closing series is played on Spring Break out of necessity. This series should be played on a prime, in school weekend. Crowds will be very good at both rinks. They always are unless Mother Nature throws a blizzard out there. It should be a terrific weekend of college hockey.

This series comes right at the end of break though, where most students should be returning. Hope everyone comes out. I got my tickets 3 weeks ago.

aparch
01-05-2015, 02:54 PM
If your glass wasn't carnival mirror quality maybe people would actually sit behind it... ;)

They just installed seamless glass two or three years ago. :p Have you been to a game since?

stuckinwi
01-05-2015, 03:00 PM
They just installed seamless glass two or three years ago. :p Have you been to a game since?

I'll admit I've not been since I moved down here... so about 7 years. :D I'm debating making the trip up Sunday night.

aparch
01-05-2015, 03:06 PM
I'll admit I've not been since I moved down here... so about 7 years. :D I'm debating making the trip up Sunday night.

Ha! You're part of the problem! I bet you're still complaining about the knee room they (mostly) fixed in 2004 too. ;)

*edit* As for carnival glass, I felt the Resch Center was way worse than the Berry was when I went for the first Wisco/NMU matchup. Does anyone know if the Resch Center has replaced their glass yet?

stuckinwi
01-05-2015, 03:07 PM
Ha! You're part of the problem! I bet you're still complaining about the knee room they (mostly) fixed in 2004 too. ;)

Real hockey fans stand. ;)

NMUFAN
01-05-2015, 10:38 PM
BIG weekend coming up for the 'Cats. Last weekend was a good measuring stick of what the 'Cats need to improve upon, but now the 'Cats cannot give up any more points. Every team plays this weekend, and the 'Cats need to gain some points to remain a first round home team.

I know Alaska, wherever they end the season at, cannot participate in the post season, but I would rather the 'Cats decide their fate than let others.

Huge to see that the games are being carried on WLUC TV6 both Friday night and Saturday night. I think we all presumed Fox UP would be the home for those games, but alas. Saturday night's game could be interesting if the NFL game runs long.

Side note: Attendance seems to be a continued issue. I really wish the more people came out to support their hockey team, a team that could be a contender for the MacNaughton Cup or for the Broadmoor trophy. But no, some residents still spout off how the Donors Room at Lakeview was the bees knees, how the seats at the Berry just don't give their a** splinters the same way the crappy seats at Lakeview did, or that $14 is just too expensive to budget for.

Okay, I'll concede the University does a shi**y job of making affordable ticket packages (Flex Packs, 5 game packs, etc) but when they have made these options available in the past, no one utilized them anyway because of the above mentioned "gripes."

I saw on Facebook a fellow fan mentioned similar over the weekend (of which, I agreed with, but he deleted his FB post), said fan even pointed out that some of NMU's "fans" would much rather see a block letter M or S team than their own. For shame. It's those same "fans" who are likely also pining for the days of Lakeview. It's frustrating as a fan of this program to watch it be continually whittled at by the locals.

Goddammit, they need to pack that place the rest of the season. Get loud. Support the 'Cats.

Great post!

John J. MacInnes
01-06-2015, 10:48 AM

Saturday's game has been moved to a 7:37pm EST faceoff, but it's likely that TV6 will still have to join the hockey game in progress. The Saturday 4:40pm kickoff game last weekend went until almost 8pm. I'm not sure when the station will be allowed by NBC to break away.

NMU Fan
01-06-2015, 04:55 PM
NMU has been pushing ticket sales on their Athletics page a lot this week so far. Offering a "Flash Sale" of $10 a ticket from 8 AM to 5 PM tomorrow. I really hope that place is full and loud. I'll be making the trip to Houghton as well.

Also, anyone have any word on Dahlstrom?

RaceBoarder
01-06-2015, 07:46 PM
Glad to see they're working to get a full barn....

The Rube
01-07-2015, 12:17 AM

That's about when I made my first trip to the UP, for this home-and-home no less. The BEC sucks. The games were worse.

aparch
01-07-2015, 12:18 AM
And a nice little promo video:
http://youtu.be/yrKiDiocH7E

aparch
01-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Oh. Dear. Lord.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThArcQ5zJlI

Ashley Kirklen (TV6): "...What does it mean for this program, for these games to be televised?"
Forrest Karr: "[discussing prior games televised] ... Suzanne [MTU's AD?] and I were a little concerned that it may have a negative impact on attendance but what we found was that it actually generates excitement and we're actually getting more attendance so it's, it's a great opportunity for exposure umm for people to see what our kids do."

Somewhere in the PEIF, Dollar Bill Wirtz's apparition is successfully continuing his life work. Unbelievable. Next I'll be reading a press release that he's found out you can purchase advertising space in the Mining Journal, and they'll be utilizing this brand new printing press technology to promote upcoming games!

Ashley Kirklen (TV6): "...You guys have a lot of banners hanging up but there is no trophy for this series like there is for the Miner's Cup in Football. Do you guys plan to implement some sort of trophy...?"
Forrest Karr: "Yeah, it's a great matchup with them. What I'd like to do, and I'm going to talk to Suzanne [obviously now MTU's AD] about it, is have some sort of All-Sports trophy. They actually had that at one time and we compete against Michigan Tech in cross country running, women's volleyball, skiing, men's basketball, women's basketball, hockey, you know we have all these different events throughout the year so we can keep track of all those and add up the points and I think that would add to the rivalry and be exciting."

Oh. My. Fu**ing. GOD.

The GODDAMMED [Formerly known as the Ramada Cup] trophy is on a shelf in the locker room just a mere 200' to the North of where his interview was being held.

I had such high hopes when Forrest was hired, but all I'm hearing from this interview is Ken Godfrey 2.0.

Hallelujah! Holy sh*t! Where's the Tylenol?

eye4talent
01-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Oh. Dear. Lord.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThArcQ5zJlI

Somewhere in the PEIF, Dollar Bill Wirtz's apparition is successfully continuing his life work. Unbelievable. Next I'll be reading a press release that he's found out you can purchase advertising space in the Mining Journal, and they'll be utilizing this brand new printing press technology to promote upcoming games!

Oh. My. Fu**ing. GOD.

The GODDAMMED [Formerly known as the Ramada Cup] trophy is on a shelf in the locker room just a mere 200' to the North of where his interview was being held.

I had such high hopes when Forrest was hired, but all I'm hearing from this interview is Ken Godfrey 2.0.

Hallelujah! Holy sh*t! Where's the Tylenol?

I can see why UAF was penalized with NCAA sanctions for stuff that happened under his watch.

Critical Thinker
01-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Glad to see they're working to get a full barn....

If they really wanted a full barn, they would have scheduled it when students were on campus. Same goes for the UAH/Bemidji rivalry.